Me and my heavy gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
I would like to share this experience with some members here, and I am sure there are others who have the same experiences before me.

The first "heavy" gear I owned was the 70-200mm F2.8 IS. It opened up my view on "sharpness and bokeh". Since then I believe only on good lens, and unfortunately for Canon system, it means "heavy" gears. (why can't Canon produce quality lens like Leica? :think:)

My collections now include almost all the Canon Primes, up to 300mm f2.8. On top of it, after holding on to a 1d MkIIn and now a Mk III, I thought anything less than those are inadequate.

So when I shoot in Singapore, my bag has a min of 2 big primes and a MkIII (that's minimum). and also when I travel oversea, imagine shooting for a few days with such a weight.

A few years ago, I have no problem walking, hiking, climbing, jumping for a few days with such weight, but recently problems started ... first with back pain (which can easily be cured with a back massage) but recently the knees are giving me painful warnings ... so much so it hurts and affect my sleep.
Before it gets worse, I am now in the process of cutting down the weight of the gears I am carrying for shoot. I am now looking into some other "lighter" systems, like the RF, films, PnS, etc...

I think I should share this experience with the members here to remind everyone that our health is still prime important. Do not be fooled by thinking that you are healthy and young, you can "handle" all these heavy gears without any long term health issue.
When it comes, it comes without any warning.

So those above 40+, please take my words seriously ....:dunno:

Last edited:
Yeah!! I know how you feel. That's why nowadays when I go shooting, I will only bring one lens. That's it, and i'll adjust my shooting style according to the lens that I picked for that day. Makes it more fun and challenging too. :)

I share your sentiments and i am only 25 coming 26.

I had a slip disc op about 2 years back. and i totally feel the strain of carrying my gears out for work. Having almost a minimum of 5 lens, 3 bodies and 2 flashes in my bag. Even just carrying the 2 bodies and 2 lens now are beginning to be a problem.

The strain of the half *Fu**ed spine is amazing. It'll ache at the start then slowly begin to hurt a little. And at the end of the day after the shoot is done, driving back is a leg numbing process as well. Not to mention the tremendous discomfort when you lay in bed.

So seriously, do take care of yourself. Espcially when you already had past spinal or leg injuries.

Can't help it sometimes... sometimes it's images over health... i've a pretty bad knee but trekked up an down a whole mountain - gorge with a pack full (2 bodies, 3 lens - gotta carry my wife stuff also):sweat: oh and tripods... :sweat::sweat:

The knee's super busted.... in fact.. shooting weddings is impossible because i probably can't keep up with the couple... :bsmilie:

Oh well .. thank goodness i'm can still shoot though..:sticktong

Can't help it sometimes... sometimes it's images over health... i've a pretty bad knee but trekked up an down a whole mountain - gorge with a pack full (2 bodies, 3 lens - gotta carry my wife stuff also):sweat: oh and tripods... :sweat::sweat:

The knee's super busted.... in fact.. shooting weddings is impossible because i probably can't keep up with the couple... :bsmilie:

Oh well .. thank goodness i'm can still shoot though..:sticktong
We are always made to believe that yes, we can (blame Obama for that) ....
when we are shooting, we almost always forget our pain instantly, but the problem is always after the shoot.
we think yes, we can ... it's only the knees, images are more impt than our health, yes, it's our livelihood, with friends how not to use big lens, one more time should be ok, etc .... but the problem is not now, it is a few years down the road ....

it is better we take precaution, like having monopod, lighter system, wheel-bags, etc.... or maybe start investing in Leica lens?

Some personal experience and suggestions. :)

(1) get a good backpacked-style camera bag, with padded straps and padded backing
(2) or, get a trolley case, eg Pelican 15xx, 16xx, etc
(3) knee-guard (for those with knee problems)
(4) lumbar-guard (for those with back problems)
(5) consume more calcium-rich food, milk, soya-bean, etc (non-seafood)
(6) collagen/calcium supplement
(7) light clothings while shooting, eg t-shirt + shorts/bermudas + good pair of sneakers

Lastly and probably ultimately, (8) get an assistant to carry all the stuff for you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'm 23, had a dislocated elbow, acl torn, sprained ankle, fractured wrist and numerous other injuries.. I cant stress the importance of stretching and consumption of glucosamine. However stretch only when you're warmed up or your muscle can and will tear.

Hi Canon brother,

I have found a solution to your problem.

Go to Self Fix store at Marina, (its located diag across cathat photo), buy a 2 wheeler trolly (about $80).

The trolley looks like those coca cola crate for wheeling the cartons of soft drinks. it is foldable and can be checked in.

Trust me, you can even take it up the hill as it has big wheels. It has elastic straps to fasten load. It is fully alloy and lightweight and very tough~!

I guarantee you will not look back after picking up this transporter for your big bag, your tripod and what nots!

I wish i could demo, but this is an online forum... i am afraid you have to check it yourself.

Uncle! Get a G10 lah....it will solve your back pain. :)

Bro canon had been canonised. How can you de-canon him leh?

side track: why didn't canon have G-string for photographers too? I would love to keep one pair and hang on my GG cam.

it only take me 1 year in photography to know its not all about gears for great capture, alot of times, weight and comfortability hinder you physically, mentally. If you are not shooting for job, its time to "down grade" your eq, you will be surprised the lighter and lousier lens you thought they were can actually produce stunning photos with all the techniques and experience you have now. If you are shooting as a pro, i guess it means getting more convenient transport, trolleys, monopods.

my dream camera is no longer the best in the dslr or mf range, its now a Leica M8.

oh, that hurts... pls go check out the trolley option i mentioned earlier.

I share your sentiments and i am only 25 coming 26.

I had a slip disc op about 2 years back. and i totally feel the strain of carrying my gears out for work. Having almost a minimum of 5 lens, 3 bodies and 2 flashes in my bag. Even just carrying the 2 bodies and 2 lens now are beginning to be a problem.

The strain of the half *Fu**ed spine is amazing. It'll ache at the start then slowly begin to hurt a little. And at the end of the day after the shoot is done, driving back is a leg numbing process as well. Not to mention the tremendous discomfort when you lay in bed.

So seriously, do take care of yourself. Espcially when you already had past spinal or leg injuries.

I would like to share this experience with some members here, and I am sure there are others who have the same experiences before me.
:
:
So when I shoot in Singapore, my bag has a min of 2 big primes and a MkIII (that's minimum). and also when I travel oversea, imagine shooting for a few days with such a weight.

A few years ago, I have no problem walking, hiking, climbing, jumping for a few days with such weight, but recently problems started ... first with back pain (which can easily be cured with a back massage) but recently the knees are giving me painful warnings ... so much so it hurts and affect my sleep.
Before it gets worse, I am now in the process of cutting down the weight of the gears I am carrying for shoot. I am now looking into some other "lighter" systems, like the RF, films, PnS, etc...

I think I should share this experience with the members here to remind everyone that our health is still prime important. Do not be fooled by thinking that you are healthy and young, you can "handle" all these heavy gears without any long term health issue.
When it comes, it comes without any warning.

So those above 40+, please take my words seriously ....:dunno:

and can you imagine, it'd be worse for the ladies..

for the same reasons.. 3 years ago, i started travelling with d70 and a walkabout lens only when i was on a longer work trip(non photographic), a PnS for trips less than a week, and only my d200 with 2 lens plus accessories on my holidays..

and one of the primary reasons for keeping fit, was to be able to enjoy taking photos with these gears ... :bsmilie:

Bro canon had been canonised. How can you de-canon him leh?

side track: why didn't canon have G-string for photographers too? I would love to keep one pair and hang on my GG cam.

I am caring for Uncle's health lah. :embrass:
I could forsee the future lens will be getting more heavier, due to more functions. :sweat:

Canon got g-string??? :think:

and can you imagine, it'd be worse for the ladies..

for the same reasons.. 3 years ago, i started travelling with d70 and a walkabout lens only when i was on a longer work trip(non photographic), a PnS for trips less than a week, and only my d200 with 2 lens plus accessories on my holidays..

and one of the primary reasons for keeping fit, was to be able to enjoy taking photos with these gears ... :bsmilie:

consider getting leica with afew primes. you barely need a pouch and you wont be stopped by security.

Or, bring two primes with your D200. Forget all other accessories and chargers and what nots. It should be more than enough to concentrate on the shoot instead of being bogged down by heavy baggage.

Hi Canon brother,

I have found a solution to your problem.

Go to Self Fix store at Marina, (its located diag across cathat photo), buy a 2 wheeler trolly (about $80).

The trolley looks like those coca cola crate for wheeling the cartons of soft drinks. it is foldable and can be checked in.

Trust me, you can even take it up the hill as it has big wheels. It has elastic straps to fasten load. It is fully alloy and lightweight and very tough~!

I guarantee you will not look back after picking up this transporter for your big bag, your tripod and what nots!

I wish i could demo, but this is an online forum... i am afraid you have to check it yourself.

My mum used this to carry her groceries. :)

I am caring for Uncle's health lah. :embrass:
I could forsee the future lens will be getting more heavier, due to more functions. :sweat:

Canon got g-string??? :think:

WE ALL care for uncle. He is our idol and he has to carry on the legendary brand. I had shot along side with him. and yes, he is a very nice friend. I feel sorry for him with such baggage load.

At one point, it dawn upon me it's a real put off to lug around with huge loads without an assistant. I learnt to trim down, go minimal and enjoy the shoot instead.

I have numerous injuries as well from my previous lifestyles, and all these have taught me one thing.

while I am not being paid to work as a photographer, I still do take it seriously when I've been asked/tasked with taking pictures for events/people. however, because most of the time it's done at a leisurely pace, I make sure I do not push myself past some limit of endurance I have normally lived within. that, and also I listen to my body. if it starts aching, I start doing some basic remedies to it (stretching, analgesic creams, painkillers, etc) before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan. that way, the time for recovery after the shoot is reduced, plus I don't have to grimace like a fool through the pain.

WE ALL care for uncle. He is our idol and he has to carry on the legendary brand. I had shot along side with him. and yes, he is a very nice friend. I feel sorry for him with such baggage load.

At one point, it dawn upon me it's a real put off to lug around with huge loads without an assistant. I learnt to trim down, go minimal and enjoy the shoot instead.

Long time never see him liao....does he still wearing Hawaian Shirt when he go for shoot? :think: ..... the XMM love to see him in that attire. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.