MC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
can a company specify where 1 can seek medical attention? even if costs will not be reimbursed? this excludes TCMs.

my new company says onlt MCs from gahmen clinics are valid, private practice no count wan... :dunno:

I think a company can set their own rules where medical benefits are concerned. At least to a large extent.

Fortunately, my company recognises MCs from any doctor.

but e company did not say i can claim the amount even from gahmen clinics... :rolleyes:

I think tt your company is being unreasonable in that regard ... it is not realistic to demand that employees produce MCs only from govt clinics. Imagine the usual long waiting time ... think tt you can check with MOM with regards to this ...

better for them to advise you on this ...

but even if MOM confirms that your company is in the wrong, I am not too sure if you want to risk ur head to bring it up ...

I think tt your company is being unreasonable in that regard ... it is not realistic to demand that employees produce MCs only from govt clinics. Imagine the usual long waiting time ... think tt you can check with MOM with regards to this ...

better for them to advise you on this ...

but even if MOM confirms that your company is in the wrong, I am not too sure if you want to risk ur head to bring it up ...

is there a number i can call? dun remember MOM call hotline. i not yet join that company, so ask here 1st. if T&C fishy den find another lor.

if join liao, now ask abit late loh... so far its e 1st company i heard of with such requirement.

Claim, they can set the guidelines, usually, Govt clinics, hospitals and specified private doctors, if any.

As for the validity of an MC, the best is to check and verify with MOM. You can easily search online. IIRC, according to MOM guidelines/laws, they have to accept the MC from any REGISTERED medical practitioner in Singapore.

Actually, a lot of companies try to do this because they know that very few employees know the law, or are willing to find out and challenge. Also, it's to try and prevent eat snake.

I remember a friend kenar this sort of 'cannot accept private doctor MC' thing. I just told her to cc a copy of the MC to HQ and mention the fact that the branch Manager so-and-so wants to challenge the validity of a registered medical professional by not accepting the MC. That manager got 'hell'.

Anyway, best is to check and verify, then if you want the job, try to re-negotiate the terms.

eh your company is mindef is it? never heard of private sector trying to pull this nonsense...unless its a local firm :sweatsm:

check your contract when you applied for the job

but i think that they can, it is an agreement between you and the company

thanks to paradigm, Dream Merchant, Ortega & TheQuestion for ur insights. but MOM website quote:-

[ The employer also has the discretion to accept medical certificates from:

A private doctor; or

A traditional Chinese medicine practitioner. ]

its unlikely they change that term in the latter of employment, though i should voice out. if not like i mention b4- find another company. :(

One reason I know for a fact they rather you go to a govt one..... non-govt clinics sells MC too easily. It is harder to get MC from govt clinics even for real sickness that require home rest. I use to have staff in my office that always managed to get sick at just the right time like "bridging" a public holiday to a weekend for example. Not once but succesive ones. They do this so they use up their allowed 14 days of MC before they touch their annual leave.

So some time you have slackers "spoil the market" to such a point that companies sometime are force to use this option. I still allow them to see private clinics and told my boss to carry on but I will give out warnings to those who abuse it on a regular basis. But for big companies...it is just too hard to keep track of the real and fake MC cases...so just take the easy road and impliment a policy of " all go govt clinic or hospital". If you tend to not abuse your MC this might pi$$ you off then if this MC thingy bothers you that much over all other reasons for working at that company...I say...find another job then.

If the job is not that critical, or you have other options, find/choose one that you're more comfortable with. No use you work in a place where you feel buay song unless of course the job or pay damned chio lah.

One reason I know for a fact they rather you go to a govt one..... non-govt clinics sells MC too easily. It is harder to get MC from govt clinics even for real sickness that require home rest. I use to have staff in my office that always managed to get sick at just the right time like "bridging" a public holiday to a weekend for example. Not once but succesive ones. They do this so they use up their allowed 14 days of MC before they touch their annual leave.

So some time you have slackers "spoil the market" to such a point that companies sometime are force to use this option. I still allow them to see private clinics and told my boss to carry on but I will give out warnings to those who abuse it on a regular basis. But for big companies...it is just too hard to keep track of the real and fake MC cases...so just take the easy road and impliment a policy of " all go govt clinic or hospital". If you tend to not abuse your MC this might pi$$ you off then if this MC thingy bothers you that much over all other reasons for working at that company...I say...find another job then.

True, but it's also quite easy to get MCs from Govt doctors if you know 'how'. :devil:

Aiyah, want to eat snake must know how to 'balance' mah.

still, i will sound the issue out when i head down the read the fine print mid-noon. great advice so far. :)

thus far my personal opinion for such practice is for those company that reimburse the amount spent (to streamline operations?), not an end all term.

i dun stay near gahmen clinic. den wait boss say "wah, u well enough to go to that clinic, might as well come to work!" u work ~hrs, getting that MC took u half as much time at gahmen clinic le mah."... :sticktong

if i really sick the nearest clinic is the best clinic.

eat snake? so far never got into a job knowing full well i will hate it.

If the company says that cost will not be reimbursed, it's because they are afriad of inflated claims. It's a similar situation when cars "report sick" and need repairs. They have to do it at specific centres.

Cost not reimbursed is not really a big deal if the person seeking medical attention is in genuine need.

I think the not accepting MCs from private clinics is a bit far fetched to me. It's basically a lose-lose situation for the company and the employee. I don't see what's to be gained from this sort of arrangement.

It's basically saying the company has no trust in the medical industry. That's a very big accusation even if the person setting the policy doesn't admit.

still, i will sound the issue out when i head down the read the fine print mid-noon. great advice so far. :)

thus far my personal opinion for such practice is for those company that reimburse the amount spent (to streamline operations?), not an end all term.

i dun stay near gahmen clinic. den wait boss say "wah, u well enough to go to that clinic, might as well come to work!"... :sticktong

Say that often enough and people will leave sooner or later when they get fed up with the management.

Say that often enough and people will leave sooner or later when they get fed up with the management.

fortunately i am not those above a certain age with kids to feed. but there are quite a handful of such staff- & they cant just leave their current company.

True, but it's also quite easy to get MCs from Govt doctors if you know 'how'. :devil:

Aiyah, want to eat snake must know how to 'balance' mah.

When it come to eat snake there really is no balance. At least not that I have seen or heard. Once they can get away with it once, they will keep doing it. I have even friendly nice aunties working in my company store that does this on a regular basis and it started influence others not in the store to follow suit. They can talk all the morale and injustice in the world with you but when it comes to their own benefits..they play hardball when they see kindness is given. heheh.

It usually is not a problem for me as someone who goes to see a doctor and get an MC and then hand it over to the management. But when you are the management you see the side to the situation. That's when you start seeing alot of company money, resources and productivity is wasted or becomes a burden on those other staff that does not abuse it.

Okay, Right or wrong....I think we should try it on a case by case basis but well I am in a small company so not hard to do that but running a huge company with a large group of staff..that requires a difference approach and one not everyone may like or comply. If as an individual,...your choice of work pivots on this issue to taking on the job or not...well then your choice is clear...find another job.

fortunately i am not those above a certain age with kids to feed. but there are quite a handful of such staff- & they cant just leave their current company.

That's very old school thinking.

It's not a "can't", it's a "don't" for most of them. If they can find a better paying job with respectable environment, I have absolutely no doubt they will leave. It's just common sense to leave.

The fact is they don't because they don't even have the "I can" mindset in the first place.

:cool:

When it come to eat snake there really is no balance. At least not that I have seen or heard. Once they can get away with it once, they will keep doing it. I have even friendly nice aunties working in my company store that does this on a regular basis and it started influence others not in the store to follow suit. They can talk all the morale and injustice in the world with you but when it comes to their own benefits..they play hardball when they see kindness is given. heheh.

It usually is not a problem for me as someone who goes to see a doctor and get an MC and then hand it over to the management. But when you are the management you see the side to the situation. That's when you start seeing alot of company money, resources and productivity is wasted or becomes a burden on those other staff that does not abuse it.

It's sad isn't it?

That adults still have to be treated like children because their behavior demands it.

What was it our tua pa kong said ... Unfortunately, ours is a society that knows only two things - punishment and reward.

But seriously, some folks I know do know how to strike a balance when they want to slack. And that's because they value their jobs, and want to preserve their reputations in a company in light of future advancement.

OK, I'm going to drown myself in self-indulgent slacking. Better go get an MC for management before it gets too late. :bsmilie:

That's very old school thinking.

It's not a "can't", it's a "don't" for most of them. If they can find a better paying job with respectable environment, I have absolutely no doubt they will leave. It's just common sense to leave.

The fact is they don't because they don't even have the "I can" mindset in the first place.

:cool:

true to certain extend. cos the other half of the equation lies on the next employers. i will stop at that...

on another note. how does a contagious disease spread? the difference it makes by the number of people the 1st carrier comes into contact with. so by rite shouldn't the shortest & quickest route to treatment the most ideal?

touch wood i wont be e 1st arh...

Status
Not open for further replies.