MBS - Vintage Shot Reproduction

johndoe161

Apr 16, 2010
Ang Mo Kio
Hello all,

I took this when I was passing by the Esplanade. I had the RGB levels altered during PP to give it a vintage look.

DSC_0405.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, PP technique

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To explore my creativity

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Slight overcast, no cloud & no direct sun-shine. Saw the opportunity & took several shots when boat was passing by the MBS.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the shot because of the old-type boat passing in front of the modern MBS. The vintage PP was me trying to be creative with the moment.

Thanks all for dropping by. Cheers! :)

it's nothing more than a tight shot of the MBS... de-saturated and slapped on color filter. even with the boat in there, it doesn't feel vintage to me.

your composition needs working on too. less cutting off buildings, and use the rule of thirds.

looks like a pic which is severely lacking in contrast.

doesnt work for me.

If you think about it, how do you give modern architecture a vintage feel? How do you convince the viewer to believe it's vintage whilst looking at modern architecture? What is vintage?

There is more to being vintage than just giving an image a post process wash. Maybe in another 70-100yrs when current modern architecture has become 'vintage' architecture then the viewers can be convinced. Choose your subject carefully.

It just looks way to purple and lacking in contrast to me...

Here's my quick take...

MBS.jpg

If you think about it, how do you give modern architecture a vintage feel? How do you convince the viewer to believe it's vintage whilst looking at modern architecture? What is vintage?

There is more to being vintage than just giving an image a post process wash. Maybe in another 70-100yrs when current modern architecture has become 'vintage' architecture then the viewers can be convinced. Choose your subject carefully.

i concur. trying to make a new building look vintage isn't convincing. Try look for some older architectures to do these vintage look.

example:
5719091133_3417f1bf77.jpg

I shot this while exploring Tysersall House.

I converted to b/w, adjusted the tonality of the b/w. added some noise to the photo and with the correct amount of light entering the windows. Makes this photo very vintage (in my own opinion).

But sadly such abandoned or run down buildings are hard to find in SG already. Either they are demolished, refurbished or declared state property by the government.

Nice. :)

Thank you all for your comments. I may have gone a bit over on the pp so I apologize. Should have put the title as 'Old Picture' Or 'Faded Picture' not 'Vintage' so thats my bad " :p .
Anyway, its a learning process for me, so whatever comments given here is a always a lesson learned. And thanks espescially to Ripley5 for your once again awesome pp work. (you did my 'Resevoir' critique). I will post another picture later tonight and I hope that all here can have a look and provide your critique.

Thank you again! :)

Cheers johndoe161! Don't mind me but I just love to play around with Photoshop to try and improve on my PP work. :)

The image doesn't captivate me. Other than those comments that others have pointed out, it looks rather dull perhaps due to the timing at which u had taken the shot. Compositionally, its too tight, and to the left (the lotus thingy) there is hardly breathing space.