MBS Light Show

scholesville

Feb 7, 2009
LongHill
DSC_0330-Edit-2.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure of the shot

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To highlight the colourful laser show and also interaction with the moving bumboats

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
it was 2sec, f4.8, iso400 exposure..

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like how the laser was coincindetally aiming at one of the passing boats, like a laser shot from a big ship. Appreaciate any comments or critiques on the shot above.

I think the crop can go slightly tighter. You can easily achieve rule of thirds but I see you didn't do it. The water can be smoother using long exposure to make it less distracting and also remove the right bottom stray of light trails due to the moving boat.
Since you are in the digital world now, I see you can superimpose a long exposure of the water and a fast exposure of the light works.

It is a okay capture, but I don't feel it's awesome :)

David Kwok said:
I think the crop can go slightly tighter. You can easily achieve rule of thirds but I see you didn't do it. The water can be smoother using long exposure to make it less distracting and also remove the right bottom stray of light trails due to the moving boat.
Since you are in the digital world now, I see you can superimpose a long exposure of the water and a fast exposure of the light works.

It is a okay capture, but I don't feel it's awesome :)

hmm will try a tighter crop next time... but i think my landscape shot is in rule of thirds...

Last edited:
should have wait for the boat to pass.

Not necessarily.

If shot was taken with tripod, another way is to combine 2 shots. The first is a relatively short exposure (with higher ISO) to capture the light rays with such intensity. If you do low ISO shot, the quick motion of the lights cannot be captured, and you will get much fainter lines. The second is a longer exposure with low ISO, which can be taken even after the show. The two can be combined via layering in Photoshop afterward.

edutilos- said:
Not necessarily.

If shot was taken with tripod, another way is to combine 2 shots. The first is a relatively short exposure (with higher ISO) to capture the light rays with such intensity. If you do low ISO shot, the quick motion of the lights cannot be captured, and you will get much fainter lines. The second is a longer exposure with low ISO, which can be taken even after the show. The two can be combined via layering in Photoshop afterward.

hmm interesting idea... will try this method out next time..

Not necessarily.

ok, i never thought of this haha.

u can trust him haha, i learnt alot from him :)

Last edited:

If you want, you can also combine different parts of the light show to make a more impressive light display. YOu would need to blend it properly though, some of the lights are colored and can add different casts to the atmosphere.

Example (something I did earlier): http://www.pbase.com/edutilos/image/137735503

edutilos- said:
If you want, you can also combine different parts of the light show to make a more impressive light display. YOu would need to blend it properly though, some of the lights are colored and can add different casts to the atmosphere.

Example (something I did earlier): http://www.pbase.com/edutilos/image/137735503

Great blend of photos... definitely will try it out...

Not necessarily.

Best of both world!!!