MBS laser nite

bllimus

Jul 23, 2010
Hi, i am new to nite photography, and i would like to learn more from the seniors here.

Below picture was shot with 550D + Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on 18-Feb-2011

5465262922_7fa4d04187_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allenlim550d

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition, exposure, PP skills ( i am using LR)

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
reflection of light, starburst effect on bright light source

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot @ around 8.30-10.30pm near the floating platform

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?

I like the overall feel but i would like to get more opinions to improve my skills in nite photography.

comments and critics are welcome... thanks a lot. :)

no comment?? :eek:

From an amateur... I say Nice!;)

I love the colors and the three main subject - the MBS, Helix and ArtScience museum!! What mode / settings and pic style did u use for this??

Last edited:
simply lovely. Loved the colours. Really nothing to criticise for me. , except btm left that piece of concrete is sticking out like a "half-sore thumb". could be great if the buildings behind the lotus are cloned away. Could be too much of a hassle and even difficult I would say.

From an amateur... I say Nice!;)
jenfaith, thanks. In fact i am still new to photography, a few months of learning curve only.;p

I love the colors and the three main subjects - the MBS, Helix and ArtScience museum!! What mode / settings and pic style did u use for this??
Lionheart86, i am using Av mode, f16, iso 200 (i found that iso 100 gave me under-expose picture that time, so increased iso to 200), if not mistaken, exposure time is 30s (this was determined by camera since i used Av mode);)

simply lovely. Loved the colours. Really nothing to criticise for me. , except btm left that piece of concrete is sticking out like a "half-sore thumb". could be great if the buildings behind the lotus are cloned away. Could be too much of a hassle and even difficult I would say.
Zenix, glad u like it. I agree what u said but in fact i have a tight angle @ 17mm. that's why i gave way the Helix a bit. :bsmilie:

Appreciate all the comments. I would like to know if the exposure is correct? how about the composition?

let me start: I am sure i have saw like 50 over photographs of this view, yours belong to the better group. Looks good and well exposed. Thumbs up to you :)

I will love to see the green laser to be more defined or should i say more distinct.

let me start: I am sure i have saw like 50 over photographs of this view, yours belong to the better group. Looks good and well exposed. Thumbs up to you :)

I will love to see the green laser to be more defined or should i say more distinct.

yes, i agree, the laser is a bit dimmed...should make it more defined. thanks for your opinion. Learnt one more thing. :)

the picture carry a very "grand" feel for mbs and the surroundings,well taken pic

dont know bout the rest of u, but its colourful...

You're lucky! Every time i visit there the helix is always lighted up with red lights.. not once it was blue/purple on my visit there!

the picture carry a very "grand" feel for mbs and the surroundings,well taken pic
thanks footscape87

dont know bout the rest of u, but its colourful...
thanks sheaffey

You're lucky! Every time i visit there the helix is always lighted up with red lights.. not once it was blue/purple on my visit there!
Actually the blue lights went off after i took a few shots, then the lights started flicker, on/off follow the helix pattern ...i have to admit that i am damn lucky that night :)

i must say... the sharpness and exposure's good. because one tends to overexpose the hand-thing while under-exposing the hotel..

but take note of where you're standing. you have buildings sticking out of the museum, and the nice reflection in the water's cut into half.

i must say... the sharpness and exposure's good. because one tends to overexpose the hand-thing while under-exposing the hotel..

but take note of where you're standing. you have buildings sticking out of the museum, and the nice reflection in the water's cut into half.

Yes, you're right. You have good point. I will take note in the future. Thanks for your advice. :)

good shot! composition's great...

kindly take note of ur reflection. It is brighter than ur main subject.

kindly take note of ur reflection. It is brighter than ur main subject.

good observation...take note of this. thanks