MBA 13" max or MBP Retina 2.3 with 16GB ram for aperture?

owen27

Dec 10, 2007
Hi,

Just wanted to know what you guys think of either of the 2 setups.
Currently I am using a 2007 white macbook on 2.0 C2D with 4Gb ram. Basically whatever option I choose would replace this current setup which is also my one and only computer be it desktop or traveling.

Currently, simple dodge and burn would really slow it down a lot.
Of course the price for the MBA 13" would be more affordable but if the MBP would be better then stretching the budget would be more considerable. Basically, photography is sorta a hobby. Although moving into a new job might require me to do newsletters and such... Might or might not need to do it myself. I could delegate.

So main consideration would be for aperture.

Thanks for your opinions!

will be better for you to get a dual core i5 or i7 and upgrade to SSD instead of getting a quad core i7 and running on normal harddisk

You would want something with more RAM. PS runs much faster with more RAM. I m currently running it on SSD, watercooled i7 with 32GB RAM. PS applies layer actiond in split second flickers.

( this is in comparison with another older 1st gen i7 terminal that I had running with only 6GB ram )

Last edited:
For most setup, cpu is always waiting loading data from hardisk and processing at <50%. Any new notebook 13" or 15" if budget allow, min 8mb, 256, 512 SSD. Overall workflow will be fast.

owen27 said:
Hi,

Just wanted to know what you guys think of either of the 2 setups.
Currently I am using a 2007 white macbook on 2.0 C2D with 4Gb ram. Basically whatever option I choose would replace this current setup which is also my one and only computer be it desktop or traveling.

Currently, simple dodge and burn would really slow it down a lot.
Of course the price for the MBA 13" would be more affordable but if the MBP would be better then stretching the budget would be more considerable. Basically, photography is sorta a hobby. Although moving into a new job might require me to do newsletters and such... Might or might not need to do it myself. I could delegate.

So main consideration would be for aperture.

Thanks for your opinions!

I have my MBA 13" more than a year old when I bought is just release the lion OS.
And today and notice the hd really not enough space for 128GB SSD. If you can go an better choose for 258GB is possible.

To be compare on MPA and only price and weight you pay for.

For normal works like video editing or doing word and entertainment is quite good and lightweight for carry all the where..

Now my current is running the D800 at 36MB on 75mb per each Raw files and open on NX capture just take a few second only.