Not open for further replies.

Benji77

Feb 18, 2006
www.benji77.multiply.com - http
From 19 Aug's shoot, Modelinn.
Colour slides from Fuji Provia 400F.

Picture technicalities
FM2, 105mm AI- Nikon.
Fuji Provia 400F, no flash, 1 reflector.
Scanned from HP scanner at 200dpi.
No PS, only cropping.

Constructive comments welcomed.

#1, I am who I am
scan0001.jpg

#2, Do you know me?
scan0005.jpg

#3, I am MAYARA
scan0006.jpg

#4, I am who I am
scan0007.jpg

#3, I am MAYARA
scan0006.jpg

this is my favourite! But Ben, u need more steady hands, can see quite a bit of shake.. model too pretty? :p

this is my favourite! But Ben, u need more steady hands, can see quite a bit of shake.. model too pretty? :p[/QUOTE]
aiyoh, alot of factors...:)
i was shooting at a pretty slow shutter 1/30 i think.
and i think its also a little OOF.
not to mention that she was hot. :)

Scanned from contact prints.
Comments pls so that I can improve in any way...:)

mainmayara.jpg

This is one of my favourites. Not cropped, it was taken this way.
scan0003-1.jpg

scan0004.jpg

My first comment would be: Bring a tripod or Up your ISO or use an external flash..... the handshake is very bad...

Benji, I admire film users a lot. If not for their sense of nostalgia, at least for their courage and the passion for photographic.

In this digital era, anyone can just grab any entry-level digicam and do "miracles" to the subject. Newage-Photographers don't even need to think of what iso film to buy or calculation needed on the settings to take better photos. They can just snap and if not satisfied, retake. Or in another case, just buy the best equipments and shoot. Nature perceptions of mind, best equipment guarantee better photos. This can be a little bit subjective. I came across some PnS users in CS that produce better photos than some Dslr users. I am not pointing at anyone but in general owning a dslr/digicam, you still need to know how to compose your desire shoots.

Just wonder would digicam users try to take any photos without using any preview mode and upload to the computer at end of the day? For this I admire your courage.

The effect of traditional film is unique. What I just like among the posted photos is this one. Only thing I hoped to see is more grains in it. BTW, I am also a ex-film user. See you ard!

scan0004.jpg

Hi carnage
thank you for the inspiration.
its a little worrying that its either the camera shake or it being out of focus. if its camera shake i can handle, but if its out of focus...ha, harder to forgive myself lor.

anyone can shed light if its out of focus or camera shake? or worst, BOTH??!!!

i will be blowing up some of the shots to see how it turns out.

thanks carnage. :)

Its shake..... cause the whole pic is blur. OOF means background sharp and subject blurry.

Cheerios.:)

hi Ben, its camera shake as u dun see any point in focus, and whole pic is in motion. I believe u need to practice on the right technique for holding camera, how to press n hold shutter before release, your stance, your arm position, and one of the most important thing, your breathing. Practice makes perfect:)

carnage3630 said:
Benji, I admire film users a lot. If not for their sense of nostalgia, at least for their courage and the passion for photographic.

In this digital era, anyone can just grab any entry-level digicam and do "miracles" to the subject. Newage-Photographers don't even need to think of what iso film to buy or calculation needed on the settings to take better photos. They can just snap and if not satisfied, retake. Or in another case, just buy the best equipments and shoot. Nature perceptions of mind, best equipment guarantee better photos. This can be a little bit subjective. I came across some PnS users in CS that produce better photos than some Dslr users. I am not pointing at anyone but in general owning a dslr/digicam, you still need to know how to compose your desire shoots.

Just wonder would digicam users try to take any photos without using any preview mode and upload to the computer at end of the day? For this I admire your courage.

The effect of traditional film is unique. What I just like among the posted photos is this one. Only thing I hoped to see is more grains in it. BTW, I am also a ex-film user. See you ard!

scan0004.jpg

If you had noticed he was using iflord delta 100, a very fine grain film, the grain will not be perceptible at images that small.

Just a little note to carnage, I think we gotta get over this newage photographers thing. A Kodak Brownie camera could aslo be seen as a modern day entry-level digicam back then. Heck, all they had to do was make the exposures and send it back to the Kodak labs to get them developed and printed. Independent photographers who had taken effort, time and money to learn and practice photography and its chemistry would probably have felt abit pissed that it was so easily available to the masses. Of course photography was not as prevalent in those days, but we can still draw some similarites between the two eras.

As for the series, some shots are abit too OOF/blur from hand shake for my taste (#2, #3). I did find #1 rather appealing, although would have preferred it in bw.

I liked the tones from #4, reminiscent of fashion photos from the 80s to the early 90s. Lighting in general is abit too harsh with the exposure, but i know bracketing with slides is a pain to the wallet..

Looks like the ilford did its job and so did you.. Good tonal range for some of the shots, and some details can still be made out at the shadow areas.

If you're looking to do contact prints for your b/w, do drop me a PM, I could help you out in that.

regards,
Patryk

"Courage" has been mentioned to me many times at shoots, but it's not courage at all. It's not really nostalgia either. And it's not really passion per se, since CS-ers have a lot of passion for photography.

I shoot film not because I'm brave, but because I like film, it works, and it's liberating.

I shoot film because it's cheap and good and it encourages me to be a better photographer. It forces me to think before I press the shutter.

I shoot film also because it will last, esp. black and white film. With proper storage, my negs should still be printable and my prints will still be viewable even when I've gone to the great darkroom in the sky.

carnage3630 said:

I LIKE IT!!
I THINK THE BLURNESS ADDS TO THE ATMOSPHERE!!!

and i feel u worked the model pretty well (i know the model can pose too)

the whole series got avery late 90's fashion feel to it.. very dkny

deepcover said:
I LIKE IT!!
I THINK THE BLURNESS ADDS TO THE ATMOSPHERE!!!

and i feel u worked the model pretty well (i know the model can pose too)

the whole series got avery late 90's fashion feel to it.. very dkny

Thank you! late 90's feel ah? hmm...i should go do some research on that...
Thanks!

Patryk said:
As for the series, some shots are abit too OOF/blur from hand shake for my taste (#2, #3). I did find #1 rather appealing, although would have preferred it in bw.

I liked the tones from #4, reminiscent of fashion photos from the 80s to the early 90s. Lighting in general is abit too harsh with the exposure, but i know bracketing with slides is a pain to the wallet..

Looks like the ilford did its job and so did you.. Good tonal range for some of the shots, and some details can still be made out at the shadow areas.

regards,
Patryk
Hi Patryk
Thanks for the ideas and comments. Will take note of them for my next shoot.
i was more afraid to underexpose during the shoot, hence alot of problems.
now i got a new problem to deal with- camera shake!! :)

Well done. There is only a handful of good skill photographer who still use slide and B&W film.
This is a skill. You are good. Keep it up.
It is very difficult to take in low light condition.
You are doing your best.

I love you B&W.
regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.