May I know what is the reason for the flare (is this flare)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeeeey

Jan 27, 2010
I was using a lens hood + CPL filter at that time.

was trying out the CPL filter for the first time so just anyhow snap a shot to have a feel of it. I thought the lens hood will prevent such things rather than create it?

4359444094_07479326c7_b.jpg

1, lens hood only minimise lens flare, it does not eliminate it.
2, adding more filter will make lens to flare more often especially if the filter uesd is of low quality

i only use 1 CPL filter without stacking anything else.

And its a Hoya filter. not the best but still a decent brand ?

Any filter can cause flare problems, even if its from a reputable brand. If the sun is at a very sharp angle to your lens, you are likely to get flare problems.

thanks for the information. I always thought a good filter + lens hood will be the safest way to avoid that in bright sunlight.

learnt new things again! Thanks all!

next time i must know how to re-position myself and get a better shot. :)

Yes, hood only minimize, cannot totally eliminate flare. Change the angle of shooting is a way to eliminate.

Manufacturers' lens hoods are usually conservatively designed to prevent vignetting.

You'll be surprised how much longer and deeper a hood can go before it starts to vignette.

For wides, adjust the angle you're shooting from/at, and use a nice large sheet of cardboard or anything opaque and place it above the lens, out of the frame while casting a deep shadow on the entire front of the lens. Those are the cheapest and easiest options.

you seem to be shooting into the sun (above and hidden behind the trees?) .... flare is likely to occur

A lens hood is meant to cut out light from the sides ...... a lens hood will not help in this situation with the sun directly ahead of you

prevent, means cut down chances, not eliminate them altogether.

here the sun is right in front, of course lens hood will not prevent any "stray light"

thanks for the information. I always thought a good filter + lens hood will be the safest way to avoid that in bright sunlight.

learnt new things again! Thanks all!

next time i must know how to re-position myself and get a better shot. :)
lens hood only reduce the chance of flaring, but any filter will simply increase the chance of it (yes any, even the best). hoya does make decent high grade filter, but their low grade non-coated ones aren't much different from the worst filter out there

A CPL filter is useless if you shoot into the sun.

Polarization is most effective at 90 degrees to the sun.

lens hood only reduce the chance of flaring, but any filter will simply increase the chance of it (yes any, even the best). hoya does make decent high grade filter, but their low grade non-coated ones aren't much different from the worst filter out there
GEEZ!!!!

i always thought the one i bought is multi coated.

its actually not!!!! no wonder... crap... what a waste of money...

sian 1/2..

if i dont wish to buy anothe multi-coated filter, and i just want to get on with this.. what should i do to minimise the flaring?

sian 1/2..

if i dont wish to buy anothe multi-coated filter, and i just want to get on with this.. what should i do to minimise the flaring?

Do not shoot where the sun hits your front element directly. If you need to do that, remove the filter.

Do not shoot where the sun hits your front element directly. If you need to do that, remove the filter.
will keep that in mind. thanks. :)

Last edited:
sian 1/2..

Ans:
Shoot without a filter, and find a better position

I got this feeling that those flower petal hood will potentially have this problem if the light enters through the joining ends of 2 petals.

Status
Not open for further replies.