Maxtor Personnal Storage

sharkspin

Jan 11, 2006
Upper Thomson
I am looking for this old Maxtor Personnal Storage 3200 HD (320GB). My HD "died" because the HD Drive Card is spoilt. I have about 300GB of data I wished to recover. If any members have one and wish to sell it, please contact me at 91198528. Below is a pic of the HD I am looking for. I tried calling Seagate but they don't have the drive card.

4583516096_cf45123580_o.jpg

Mod/Admin...if this is a wrong place to post this, my apologies and kindly move accordingly.

Cheers
Steven

I am looking for this old Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 HD (320GB). My HD "died" because the HD Drive Card is spoilt. I have about 300GB of data I wished to recover. If any members have one and wish to sell it, please contact me at 91198528. Below is a pic of the HD I am looking for. I tried calling Seagate but they don't have the drive card.

4583516096_cf45123580_o.jpg

Mod/Admin...if this is a wrong place to post this, my apologies and kindly move accordingly.

Cheers
Steven
You can actually open up the Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 HD enclosure, remove the HDD and transferred it to some other enclosure with the cheapest 3.5″ HDD enclosure costing around S$20+ (power supply adapter included) or connect the HDD directly to a USB port with a IDE/SATA to USB adapter cable. ;)

Last edited:
You can actually open up the Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 HD enclosure, remove the HDD and transferred it to some other enclosure with the cheapest 3.5″ HDD enclosure costing around S$20+ (power adaptor included) or connect the HDD directly to a USB port with a IDE/SATA to USB adaptor. ;)
Thanks in advance.
I sent it to a shop in Funan and they are unable to get it working as the HD Drive card is spoilt (they told me). My friend did what you suggested, and he told me his PC will not boot up.
Cheers

Most likely the HDD got problem, not the enclosure.. Maybe it's the HDD "PCB" that needs to be replaced.

You can actually open up the Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 HD enclosure, remove the HDD and transferred it to some other enclosure with the cheapest 3.5″ HDD enclosure costing around S$20+ (power supply adapter included) or connect the HDD directly to a USB port with a IDE/SATA to USB adapter cable. ;)

Most likely the HDD got problem, not the enclosure.. Maybe it's the HDD "PCB" that needs to be replaced.
Thanks. Yes...the PCB. That is why I am looking and hoping I will get one from members here. Manufacturer here says they don't have the part anymore.
Cheers

My fren got a similar problem.. his 1TB SGT HDD got this firmware bug and the HDD became non-operational.. he's also looking for the PCB..

I guess it is better to take a picture of the HDD itself, and if possible check the firmware version before you buy the HDD, to ensure that the PCB can properly access the data on the disk and minimise risk of data corruption.

My fren got a similar problem.. his 1TB SGT HDD got this firmware bug and the HDD became non-operational.. he's also looking for the PCB..

I guess it is better to take a picture of the HDD itself, and if possible check the firmware version before you buy the HDD, to ensure that the PCB can properly access the data on the disk and minimise risk of data corruption.
Even with the exact matching part number and firmware version/revision of the HDD PCB, there is a high chance that S.M.A.R.T. might already have gathered hundreds of different attributes (such as remapped bad sectors) unique to the HDD used originally thus complicating efforts to recover the data.

It is best for the thread starter to send the HDD for professional data recovering service where they will attempt to replace the PCB and reflash the EPROM ($$$$$) or in the worst case scenario, physically scan the hard disk platter with equipments such as a Magnetic Force Microscope (MFM) or a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)/Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) to extract individual magnetic bits and creating an image of the HDD ($$$$$$$).

Well.. for my fren's case, it's due to some firmware bug and according to the website SGT will do the data recovery for free.. but the data inside quite sensitive so my frens rather jump into the river then let the professionals swim thru the drive.. :bsmilie: