MaxOnline 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

Mar 17, 2003
Bukit Timah
buzz.clubsnap.org
I am thinking of upgrading from my present 1500 to this new 6500...just wondering whether anyone out there has upgraded and is going 'wow-wow' over the fantastic increase in download speed...or just going hmmm....just a bit faster but not very much of a difference ?? ;p

is there such a new service? anyway for single stream download or browsing 1500 is pretty much good enough since the webserver is unlikely to throw stuff that fast at you. If you have a small office or has multiple download stream then maybe it'll be more suitable.

At work I have 80Mbps of direct access to an exchange in Los Angeles, browsing experience hasn't been much different. In fact I find the user experience more satisfying on my home PC vs my laptop (both sharing the same MaxOnline 1500) as the PC has much more RAM and faster processor.

Yes... it's a new service that has recently been released. I guess it's the answer to SingNet's 3500kbps plan. Maxonline has taken away the 3000kbps plan for new subscribers. It's now only 1500kbps or 6500kbps.

Unless you do home networking or what... I would think even 3000kbps is overkill. 1500kbps is definitely more than enough. And like what hwchoy mentioned... it's so unlikely there will be a server that can send you files at such a high speed. Thinking p2p? With the strict regulations on downloads now... I don't even think you will utilize half of that 6500kbps download speed.

Not worth it in my opinion. :)

hmm... wondering getting so fast yet u cannot download anymore... what are they up to? U all know who i mean...

Oh.. how's the upload speed... That's the most important.. :)

You will never get 3000 or 6500 speed. You can never utilise your bandwidth to it's max. If you ask them they will say "up to 3000 or 6500 kbps". Most of teh time you will be lucky to get 200 or 300 when downloading. And I'll be more than happy with that.

jbma said:
You will never get 3000 or 6500 speed. You can never utilise your bandwidth to it's max. If you ask them they will say "up to 3000 or 6500 kbps". Most of teh time you will be lucky to get 200 or 300 when downloading. And I'll be more than happy with that.

you need to call them about it. I consistently achieve 1.5Mbps (measured using Netpersec) when downloading from sites such as windows update, and even my own website in the US.

I do know of users who keep getting only 200-300 kbps and SCV needed ti fix something.

hwchoy said:
you need to call them about it. I consistently achieve 1.5Mbps (measured using Netpersec) when downloading from sites such as windows update, and even my own website in the US.

I do know of users who keep getting only 200-300 kbps and SCV needed ti fix something.
Hey thanks for the info bro. I will certainly call them tomorrow. To think that all this while I have been suffering...hmmmm.

currently using starhub 1500 for many years since its trial period, i'm very satisfied. :)

yes I personally know how much capacity they have on the backbone. there is enough.

ps: I do not work for StarHub nor their competitors. :)

well, 6500 sounds nice but if upstream is still at 15kb/s ........

Thanks guys... ;) probably will shelve the upgrade plan as now it seems not much of difference between the 1500 and the 6500 judging from wat is being said in this thread....oh well....save money.... :thumbsup:

Unless you dl big stuff occassionally, most do not really need it. Well if the price goes down somemore or there are much better way to utilise it, like getting a photo website on it and a lot of people is so "in" in viewing of photos and videos online, why not? So far my 512kbps is good, but more value for my $55 worth of money is even better :D :bsmilie:

hwchoy said:

it also depends on the bottleneck of the server you are downloading the data from, i.e. the lower bit rate

mervlam said:
it also depends on the bottleneck of the server you are downloading the data from, i.e. the lower bit rate

no no, there are specific places/devices which gave a problem, but I thought they fixed them a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.