Maximum Tripod load

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumnaam

Apr 23, 2007
Hougang, Singapore
www.flickr.com
HI Guys,

I have Manfrotto 190xprob with Giotto MH 1001-652 ball head. From specs the maximum weight supported by head is 5 Kg ( and tripod is 8.5 Kg). I use the following setup

Canon 40 D - 750gm
Canon 100 mm f 2.8 macro - 600 gm
Canon 430 EX - 300 gm

Total weight comes out to be 1.650 Kg, to be on safe side lets take as 2 Kg... still the setup is much below the max load of the tripod + head. When i put my cam on live view, i can see the scene is not stable ( as expected), rather there is some visible shaking.

Is there any problem with my setup, or the way i use it.

Help.......

Are you seeing movement to the tripod head only or the entire setup? I'm suspecting that te tripod head is not capable of holding your gears in position.

depends on the tripod feet also. If the ground is shaking, it will affect the tripod as well.

Are you seeing movement to the tripod head only or the entire setup? I'm suspecting that te tripod head is not capable of holding your gears in position.
The movement is comming from head... mostly from the joint between plate and head....... the release point.... i thought the max load is 5 Kg.....that's why wasn't sure if head is source of trouble.......is there any suggestion, that we should go for twice or 3 times the max your gears.....

Just looking at the size of that head, I doubt if it can take anything more than a kg.

Stability also depends on how much you extend your tripod legs and center column, wind conditions etc.

Ballheads are not the most stable/secure around, unless you look at the Swiss made stuff above $500. Even a cheap manfrotto 141 3-way pan and tilt head would be as stable as a rock in comparison. Used 141s go for as low as $50 here in CS. They're big and heavy, but like I said, ROCK SOLID!

i am using giottos mh 1303series, rated at 5kg(not sure what is the method of measurement).

with a canon d60 + 100mm lens + 550ex, totally not stable. but my intention for the head is for compact camera or mounting slave flash or use with mono-pods for tele lens.

think of it this way, why would some ball head with similar load rating be of much bigger?

i am using giottos mh 1303series, rated at 5kg(not sure what is the method of measurement).

with a canon d60 + 100mm lens + 550ex, totally not stable. but my intention for the head is for compact camera or mounting slave flash or use with mono-pods for tele lens.

think of it this way, why would some ball head with similar load rating be of much bigger?
Bro, then which head are u using, that gives u stable setup..

the other ball head i am using is manfrotto488rc0, i choose this for 2 reason :

1) it has a seperate panning lock compare to 486. so it helps alot when doing pano and panning.

2) rc0 over rc2 cause rc0 has a bobble level on the head. so dont need another hot shoe mounted bubble level.

however rc0 is heavier than rc2. also, 488series is know to move a wee bit when u tighten the ball head.

if i have not buy the 488 head, i will probably go for Giotto's MH 1301, Weight: 1.38 lbs., Max. Load: 25 lbs. cause i find the finishing and operation is better than my 488 (tested recently at op at sim lim).

next higher grae ball head like markin q3 (korean) and Kangrinpoche (china), it is alot cheaper and i can live with the "flaw" of 488.

the problem with the load ratings given by manufacturer is, no body knows how did they conduct the test. so only use it as a rough guide. always test the head urself.

Last edited:
If you are on a budge, use a pan and tilt head. For the same price of your Gittos, you can get an excellent pan and tilt head.

The Gittos you got, I will not put anything more than a heavy PnS or the lightest DSLR with it's kit lens on it.

Btw, you really need to know what you are shooting and then get the equipment you need. A ball head is made for easy operation, the ability to point to anywhere you want to shoot with ease. You are looking at a macro set up, and that is not what a ball head is best for. Of course, you can use an Arca Swiss, which will blow most budget. For your macro set up, got for a pan and tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.