Maximum load for a tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomster

Aug 6, 2007
Thomson
Sorry for asking what may seem a dumb question.

It’s about tripods and their heads…question is how do you calculate the total weight
that a tripod + head can bear.

Say the tripod manufacturer says tripod can hold 2 kg.
And the ball-head manufacturer says the head can hold 3 kg.

Does this mean
1) the whole combination can hold up to 5kg
2) take the higher weight as the maximum load i.e. 3kg
3) Or only look at what the tripod can carry as ultimately, that’s what is bearing
the weight of the whole set-up.

Thanks for your answers.

U gotta factor in the weight of the tripod head you are using.

And if after subtracting off weight of the tripod head, the tripod can carry a load less than what the tripod head can support, then stick to whatever remaining weight the tripod can handle.

e.g

My tripod can support 6kg
Then my ballhead can support 30kg, weighs ~ 500gm

You can put another 5+ kg

Ryan

Last edited:
the tripod max load is much more than the spec given. eg. an 5kg spec tripod can withstand more than 20 kg of load. of cos you need to take into consideration the stability of the tripod.

with this assumption, the ball head is more impt and since your ballhead can hold 3kg, i would think the max load will be 3kg.

Capacity of tripod and ballhead stand alone........ so take the lowest capacity as the limit

It’s about tripods and their heads…question is how do you calculate the total weight

Does this mean
3) Or only look at what the tripod can carry as ultimately, that’s what is bearing

Thanks for your answers.

The combined one would be what the tripod can take minus away the weight of the head or what the head can take, whichever is lower.

eg if tripod can take 5kg, head is 1kg and can take 6kg, then the setup can only take 4kg (5kg tripod capacity minus 1kg weight of the head)
eg if tripod can take 5kg, head is 0.5kg and can take 3kg, then the setup can only take 3kg limited by the head since tripod is able to accomodate the weight of the head plus the equipment the head is able to take.

Last edited:
Try to do a balanced combination. The tripod and ballhead should have equal payload. No point matching a large tripod with a mini ballhead, and vice versa.

Its is not advisable to load both your tripod and the head to their maximum capacity. They will not be performing well under maximum load. As a guide, the max weight they should be carrying is around 80% of the specified capacity.

Its is not advisable to load both your tripod and the head to their maximum capacity. They will not be performing well under maximum load. As a guide, the max weight they should be carrying is around 80% of the specified capacity.

Good advice.

And we have seen advertisers putting their entire body weight on their tripod that supports probably a fifth of what they can do.

:confused:

Ryan

Got camera so heavy meh? Or are you trying to hang yourself?

DSLR body is not. But the lens can be really heavy :) Take a look at some of the birding lenses.
Alternatively you can be using some really heavy digital back setup.

Ryan

DSLR plus LONG lens plus flash, etc may be quite heavy... :sweat:

You take the lower of the two nos. In your example, 2 kg. And remember, the weight of the tripod head is included in the 2 kg.

Does this mean

Thanks for your answers.

Thanks to all who responded. The replies have cleared some misconceptions i've had.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.