Max Pic Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishbrade

May 31, 2007
Singapore
Guys. Can I ask what is the optimum max print size for a 2000px size digital picture file? Need to print a large one so just wondering whats the max size I can go.

Thanks!:D

swishbrade

it depends on your viewing distance (what are you gonna use the print for) as well as the sharpness of the image...

it depends on your viewing distance (what are you gonna use the print for) as well as the sharpness of the image...

I get what you mean. Well, it's probably going to get hung on the wall at eye level. Scrutinised 1 foot away.....what do you think? A4-size too big?

a rough guide would be about 180ppi being the minimum resolution for a print using a desktop printer... but again, sharpness is the key... a sharp image less than 180ppi at the required print size can possibly be upsized up to 140% and still be perfectly usable, whereas an image which is not sharp might not be printable even if the image is over 300ppi...

a rough guide would be about 180ppi being the minimum resolution for a print using a desktop printer... but again, sharpness is the key... a sharp image less than 180ppi at the required print size can possibly be upsized up to 140% and still be perfectly usable, whereas an image which is not sharp might not be printable even if the image is over 300ppi...

That's a really useful rule of thumb. Thanks for that!

don't thank me, thank the late Bruce Fraser... he came up with it through experimentation... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.