Max Load of Tripod dependent on head or tripod?

Thank you sir.
Just invested in a new Sirui tripod(with ballhead) based on my budget of $400.
The current set up of camera + heaviest lens+ ballhead is less than 2.5 kg versus the max. load of 15kg for the tripod.
Vibration test using eye and finger is pretty good.
All the discussion on tripods in CS is useful and enriching. Thanks again to all the contributors.

Thank you sir.
Just invested in a new Sirui tripod(with ballhead) based on my budget of $400.
The current set up of camera + heaviest lens+ ballhead is less than 2.5 kg versus the max. load of 15kg for the tripod.
Vibration test using eye and finger is pretty good.
All the discussion on tripods in CS is useful and enriching. Thanks again to all the contributors.

:thumbsup: I also have one... but mine is cost only $200 I refuse to get my tri over a 1Kg.

jsprtan: i bet ur a Mechanical Student once/in the past.
it is all the mechanical lingo u just mentioned!

:D

i'm also using a slik sprint pro gm.. but i change the head to manfrotto 484 or 486 (can't remember, tripod at home now)... use it together with my d90 + 70-300mm... no problem... no shake even when i position it to portrait... make sure ur tripod leg is spread nicely tats all...

love sprint pro gm... super light, cheap and tall when extended... 900g with manfrotto head

:thumbsup: I also have one... but mine is cost only $200 I refuse to get my tri over a 1Kg.

Nice, whats the brand and where to get ? ...is that legs only or with the bald-head ? :bsmilie:

jsprtan: i bet ur a Mechanical Student once/in the past.
it is all the mechanical lingo u just mentioned!

:D

:D Yah man, hopefully I didn't get it wrong... I think u are too right? :)

Yupz, that also 1 of the thing that the person mention to me as well... actually I only want to buy the ballhead but the sales person keeping "pushing" me to get a new tripod instead, saying my current tripod cannot take my setup (which is around 2kg plus) even if I upgrade the ballhead..:dunno:

Even though I can't seem to find the max load for my tripod (w/o the ballhead) in the web, I think it should be much higher than the ballhead....so guess just upgrading the ballhead will helps..

which shop? wats the name of the salesman?

Actually all the calculations sound correct. There is one problem though. All these are based on the assumption that all manufacturers list their product's max weight the same way. The fact is that some may account for the portrait mode into their max load rating, some not. Some over state the max load, some understate. Since there is no standards body governing the advertising of max load specifications, we can calculate all we want, in the end, it doesn't mean a thing. And the 1/2 max weight theory do not stand either.

Personally, I use a L-plate, so it doesn't matter.

So how do you know when your setup is too heavy for the ball head? Simple... the ball head will creep when you lock it down.

Last edited:
Nice, whats the brand and where to get ? ...is that legs only or with the bald-head ? :bsmilie:
I'd prefer if the ball is bald. Hairs would just hinder free movement :)

Actually all the calculations sound correct. There is one problem though. All these are based on the assumption that all manufacturers list their product's max weight the same way. The fact is that some may account for the portrait mode into their max load rating, some not. Some over state the max load, some understate. Since there is no standards body governing the advertising of max load specifications, we can calculate all we want, in the end, it doesn't mean a thing. And the 1/2 max weight theory do not stand either.

Personally, I use a L-plate, so it doesn't matter.

So how do you know when your setup is too heavy for the ball head? Simple... the ball head will creep when you lock it down.

Bro, nice advice.... That means mine also over loaded already... even at normal position it is already very creepy :bsmilie:

Thanks guys for the info...I will test the heaviest load again on the tripod..if still will creep, guess I may I go for the benro BH-0 ballhead, with max load at 4kg... :)

Bro, nice advice.... That means mine also over loaded already... even at normal position it is already very creepy :bsmilie:

You must make sure you lock it down tight. If you already lock it down tight, and it still creeps, it means the ball head cannot handle that load.

Which ball head do you have? Is it the sirui G10?

To reiterate what bro dd123 said, I wan to stress the importance of using an L plate.. Spoke of weight balance when one attempt to shoot in portrait orientation.. Instability or creeping is simply inevitable (unless u telling me u using some high end ballhead like arca Swiss Z1 where it's aspherical ball are well suited for this kind of situations)

and modern ballheads nwadays comes with a friction control.. If handled well n u found the sweet spot.. U won hv to lock ur ballhead very tight to safeguard against creeping.. A causual turn n it will stay in place (I.e markin series)

guess most's rationale in getting a sturdy tripod setup is to either do macro, landscape or long exposures... So hope this helps for those with selection woes.. N some food for thought before investing in one...

Bryan

cheers :)

Last edited:
TK Foto price official price list for Sirui tripods can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/tkfoto?v=app_6009294086&ref=ts

Thanks Bro, I've got a R2204 from them but I can't find any which costs $200 and is less than 1Kg, so I was wondering if somewhere else is selling cheaper.:think:

I'd prefer if the ball is bald. Hairs would just hinder free movement :)

You mean like this: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6309703&postcount=16
:bsmilie:

Yes :thumbsup: And this head can carry more than just 2kg :bsmilie:

No doubts, and looks like an aspherical ballhead, just like the Arca-Swiss B1/Z1 !:thumbsup:

This may be redundent and obvious but given the same load ratings, the tripod will buckle first as you have to add in the weight of the ballhead. You shouldn't work at max rating anyways, so...