Max Heights - Advise pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmic

Mar 13, 2006
Planet Earth
Hi All,

I recently gave a Manfrotto 055XB to my Wife. However, the max height of this tripod, together with the Ball head, exceeded her heights. I understand there are preset height level to open the legs even wider thus reducing the overall heights of the tripod but that kinda take up too much time deploying.

Is there anyway we can 'limit' the max extended height of this tripod?

Many thanks, in advance pls.

dan

Hi All,

I recently gave a Manfrotto 055XB to my Wife. However, the max height of this tripod, together with the Ball head, exceeded her heights. I understand there are preset height level to open the legs even wider thus reducing the overall heights of the tripod but that kinda take up too much time deploying.

Is there anyway we can 'limit' the max extended height of this tripod?

Many thanks, in advance pls.

dan
duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...

duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...

Make a marking at her maximum height and when she deploys it the next time, dun exceed that marking.

Make a marking at her maximum height and when she deploys it the next time, dun exceed that marking.

Tks Zac. Taht's what we did. Juz chking to see if there is indeed a way to 'preset' the max height on this model of tripod. Partly also b'cos there is this small little clip that came with the tripod that we've yet to figure the purpose.

Thanks anyway.
dan

Tks Zac. Taht's what we did. Juz chking to see if there is indeed a way to 'preset' the max height on this model of tripod. Partly also b'cos there is this small little clip that came with the tripod that we've yet to figure the purpose.

Thanks anyway.
dan

Ideally, you should always try to use the 3 legs to adjust whatever height you want and not resort to extending the center tube as it can compromise it's stability to not wobble especially if you have a heavy camera/lens combo.

hahahah...sorry I just can't help it man....that was a classic repond haaaa...and you would think it should be apparent by now.
well, its a simple solution to a simple question... why makes things so complicated when it is easily solved? :bsmilie:

If you are asking about the small clip at the legs, I believe they are used to tighten the screws in case any screw come loose. So they won't help you in presetting some maximum height.

Ideally, you should always try to use the 3 legs to adjust whatever height you want and not resort to extending the center tube as it can compromise it's stability to not wobble especially if you have a heavy camera/lens combo.
actually if you've read the TS question, he's trying to lower the max height, not extend it. so there's nothing about extending the center column

actually if you've read the TS question, he's trying to lower the max height, not extend it. so there's nothing about extending the center column

hehe I know that part.I was talking in general and just being as detail about tripod usage in general since reading in between what he wrote that he is still alittle new to using a tripod. EG..that you do not need to extend all the legs in order to use it.

Thanks Zac, +evenstar & cantaresg, thanks for the clarification, esp on the use of the attached clip. Tot having able to preset max height can aid her in faster deployment. Guess I was thinking too much about the clip. Back to old paint markers I guess....

>>>Sammy88, thanks. I learnt of the centre column issue some 20 yr ago, and also the fact that unlike some other human anatomy, tripod need not to be fully extended to be of good use. (Hope u can take joke as well as giving them).

dan

Thanks Zac, +evenstar & cantaresg, thanks for the clarification, esp on the use of the attached clip. Tot having able to preset max height can aid her in faster deployment. Guess I was thinking too much about the clip. Back to old paint markers I guess....

>>>Sammy88, thanks. I learnt of the centre column issue some 20 yr ago, and also the fact that unlike some other human anatomy, tripod need not to be fully extended to be of good use. (Hope u can take joke as well as giving them).

dan

I take as good as I give it out lah ...no problem man. heheh

maybe use some thick rubber bands to tie the centre column, so that it can't be raised to the full height?

maybe use some thick rubber bands to tie the centre column, so that it can't be raised to the full height?

Quite embarrassing actually, that without the centre column, the fully extended tripod, with the ball head and the camera, already exceeded the eye level... so will always have to deploy with the legs not fully stretch unless firing upward, thus thinking of means to preset....

Anyway, thanks ppl for the clarification.

dan

Quite embarrassing actually, that without the centre column, the fully extended tripod, with the ball head and the camera, already exceeded the eye level... so will always have to deploy with the legs not fully stretch unless firing upward, thus thinking of means to preset....

Anyway, thanks ppl for the clarification.

dan
maybe its time to downgrade your tripod... from the height you are saying, it seems that you are using 055 series... maybe time to get 190

maybe its time to downgrade your tripod... from the height you are saying, it seems that you are using 055 series... maybe time to get 190

Finally a spot on answer, wrong tripod spec for the wife's height. Other than changing the whole tripod, dont extend the legs fully is the only solution.

TS, by not fully extending the tripod's legs, or should i say, different heights in the 3 legs, u risk loosing stability which might cause your gears to crash into the floor if u r not careful.

Just get another 190 series, its not that ex, and lighter at the same time.

Finally a spot on answer, wrong tripod spec for the wife's height. Other than changing the whole tripod, dont extend the legs fully is the only solution.

TS, by not fully extending the tripod's legs, or should i say, different heights in the 3 legs, u risk loosing stability which might cause your gears to crash into the floor if u r not careful.

Just get another 190 series, its not that ex, and lighter at the same time.

Tat's exactly my concern. Guess I'll have to keep the 055XB for myself, and get her a 190 series as recommended.

Cheers, mate.

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.