Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
Congrats all round!!

DSCF1589.jpg

DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF1613.jpg

DSCF1687.jpg

HI joho,

you never seize to amaze me with your angles and good compositions. Enjoyed this series. May I ask what is your preferred choice of lens for an event like for e.g. a wedding like the one you shot?

jOhO - :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: haha... u and iamasaint can hold a master class at taking wedding photos already! :bsmilie:

btw, 1 quest. can u teach me how did u isolate one colour within the photo and make the rest B&W? :embrass:

hee hee, hijack thread...
Hi nighwolf, to do that.. trace the outline of the object with the magnet tool (forgot the name)
feather about 2-5 pixels, cut and paste on seperate layer. now u got background (to turn B&W) and small lipstick with color.

got other alternative methods?
^_^~ hope u guys dun mind me posting here. :p

hptay said:
got other alternative methods?
^_^~ hope u guys dun mind me posting here. :p

Nah lar, its done like this.... Go to a brush and choose a brush type size, usually i use the blurred brush coz mistakes can be masked. Choose "color" from the pull-down box. Use a big brush and left click and hold to decolorize the huge portions. Then use a small one for the edges.

Use it for those shots in which it would not make an impact if everything is in colour due to distracting background, even if it tells you a story. This kind of effects usually bao jiak by the client, even if the original photo sucks like hell. :D

one other way is also to desaturate the whole picture and then use history brush to "recover" the colored parts.. :p

one bird to kill.. many many methods... hee hee

very nice series:)

just wondering if no.12 was ps-ed or overexpose intentionally? no matter wht, it's nicely done...:)

wow, i woke up and read all the posts and really appreciate everyone's encouragement! i've been rather how to say... "unimpressed" with my work, i really needed a lift, thank you all so much!!

wheniam: those are very stong encouraging words, thank you! well, i just bought a new lens and this is gonna be the one that i'll be using for years! afs17-35. used to use a 12-24 in my other series' but have decided to go 17-35 from now. :)

iamasaint: this is indeed an hounour, coming from you, as your works are totally excellent too! thanx for the heads up!

nightwolf75: no lar..! we're all still learning, certainly i. gotta keep working hard! as for the colour part on b/w, yes there are certain ways, my preferred way is to use history brush, as hptay mentioned. first desaturate ur image with ur preferred way (either using desat command, or channel mixer, or using lab colour but make sure u convert back to rgb). after that go to ur history window, and click the box on the left of the state that it was just b4 it got converted to b/w. click on the history brush and "paint back" the parts u want in colour. essentially, setting the history state with the click in the history window makes the brush paint the part back to that state. hmm.. hope u're not too confused after my lengthy explanation.. ;p

w.s: ahah this was actually a "screw up". had my flash on, but my x-sync wasn't high enuff, so the came released at 1/125. hence the over-exposed background. but i thot a little high key here and there is ok lar... :cool: if u noticethe bluish part on the bottom left, it's becos the walls are warm in colour, and the flash made the couple look very warm, so after colour correction, (minus red in curves, colour balance) the whites will turn blue. i could mask out everything except the couple so the walls stay white, but i thot this was pretty cool. :)

Hey joho,
excellent work there... really enjoyed looking at you composition.
Different angles certainly bring about a very different feel to the picture.
Yours definately is refreshing :) THumbs up!

hehehe:) i know wht u mean, cuz i've got a few tht were like tht too, except they were blown out beyond repair. all becuz i forgot to change the settings after walking out of the house...

hptay: thanx for the kind words! :)

w.s: yeah sometimes i also forget, too much to remember liow ehehhe.. usually indoor i'm at iso800, outdoor is iso 100/200. i wish i had a faster sync! (mine max at 1/125)

Good use of BW in some shots, the 7th shot is good but pity the groom's hands are lost in the dark area. But personally I would try not to rely too much on desaturating certain areas and instead work on composition. The closeup shots also don't really work. Shot 15 has good dof but cutting off the teapot at the snout is a bit awkward. Shot 13 has an untidy background and the dark portion at the bottom of the bowl doesn't work, would prefer going in even closer.

Hope I don't sound too harsh, just trying to post more constructive criticism. Good effort overall. :thumbsup:

yo thoa_rs, not at all, thankx for the pointers, actually now that u mentioned, the groom in #7 looks like he's got no hands at all! i totall agree about pic 13, but for 15 i kinda like it, altho i see ur point. i guess perhaps something different? one thing i better go back and fix, i had a good look at it again, it's slightly tilted, to the right! ;p

thank you again for ur constructive comments! :)

jOhO said:
nightwolf75: no lar..! we're all still learning, certainly i. gotta keep working hard! as for the colour part on b/w, yes there are certain ways, my preferred way is to use history brush, as hptay mentioned. first desaturate ur image with ur preferred way (either using desat command, or channel mixer, or using lab colour but make sure u convert back to rgb). after that go to ur history window, and click the box on the left of the state that it was just b4 it got converted to b/w. click on the history brush and "paint back" the parts u want in colour. essentially, setting the history state with the click in the history window makes the brush paint the part back to that state. hmm.. hope u're not too confused after my lengthy explanation.. ;p

hi, jOhO!

thanks for the tips! i'm trying it out over the weekend.

heehee... OT a bit: if u or iamasaint ever, ever need a PA for ur next wedding shoot, yell for me! if i'm free, dun mind being ur PA and learn how u guys do it. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.