Matte or Gloss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntim

Feb 13, 2002
When I develop photos, which finish should I go for and why? What are the pros and cons for each finish?

Is it true that the lifespan of a gloss colour photo is much much shorter than one with a matte finish?

Personal preference.
Finger prints are more obvious on gloss.
But gloss shows more "brilliant" color (my opinion).

Originally posted by shawntim
When I develop photos, which finish should I go for and why? What are the pros and cons for each finish?

Is it true that the lifespan of a gloss colour photo is much much shorter than one with a matte finish?

glozz will look nicer .... but fingerprintz will go eazily onto glozz ..... n after sometime they wouldnt be glozz anymore .....

perzonally me prefer matte .....

maybe if u r putting up ur workz for showcaze or exhibition ..... then u can tell them to develope glozz for u loh .....

at the end of the day itz all up to u .....

:D

Matte or Gloss?

This is what I had discovered.........

Gloss finished photos used to stick onto slot in albums easily.
Only Konica paper, Golden Dragon will not.
Both the Fujifilm and Kodak photo papers will stick very easily.

As for me, I still like gloss finished photos with white border.
Fuji film on Konica paper and into photo albums with NCL slot in
plastic.

;)

Comments?

Yep, Gloss photos definitely are more brilliant than matte photos... but they are so troublesome to handle!!! I always develop matte cos I abuse my photos... :D

Maybe if I got photos good enough to show then I will develop glossy. Technically I guess Glossy might be better for scenic shots where matte may be good for portrait where the colours need not be so bright...... comments?

hehe, i prefer matt, easier to maintain, no worry on finger prints, also, i personally feel the colour on glossy and matt i will prefer matt one... ;p

For wedding/portraiture types, I use matte. For landscape and others, I use glossy. Glossy gives more vibrant colours for things which need it. The downside is that they are fingerprint prone, and they stick to the albums's sleeves. :(

Regards
CK

I only develope gloss when I shot at night or dim indoor pics to brighten up the pic, otherwise I chose matt as it looks more natural. Sometimes the gloss seems to distract me from the picture...

I'm quite concerned over them sticking to album sleeves. After a few months, when you try to take it out, won't the gloss stick with the sleeves and u end up with a damaged photo?

can anyone correct me? which of these are myths?

- Gloss colours fade earlier than matte.

- Gloss fingerprints are like prints on lenses. After sometime of neglect the prints become permanent

- matte last longer (that's what older generation always say)

Coz the thing is I've just developed over 300+ gloss Fujicolour Crystal Archive prints from e-color and I worry about storing them. Other than just colours.. are there any issues why people choose one finish over the other? Many people chose matter for easier maintenance like the many guys who replied me.. thanks guys!

Originally posted by shawntim

- Gloss fingerprints are like prints on lenses. After sometime of neglect the prints become permanent

I have noticed that some fingerprints on my gloss photos (the few that I have) have become permanently etched on the photo. Oh well, at least no one can steal the photo as it has MY fingerprint!

MATT for easier maintenance.....

matte for me.... they keep longer and they dun stick to your photo album sleeves...

no more worries about fingerprints ^.^ though I have to agree that the colours on gloss paper are terrific :)

Dilemma huh:D

I choose gloss for 4R size, and matte for anything larger.

Gloss give a slightly sharper look when compare to matte. However, it is very difficult to maintain. Finger prints and dust is very obvious if any. If the print is dirty, print another one loh, 4R is much much cheaper.

Matte will look alright if the print size is bigger. The details will be less affected by the surface texture. I usually print super 8R in matte. :p

thanks for all the tips guys!

matte finish for all my pics....unless i m using cross-processing.......matte pics...i can touch up using the manual way......

Status
Not open for further replies.