Matresses

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Which do you think is better in terms of quality and durability: Seahorse or Slumberland?

Looking at the lower to mid range models.

Both are so so brand in term of quality. Low end Seahorse tends to be quite hard with only a thin layer of foam. And even those high end mattress using coil spring will lose its tension after a few years of usage. Best is memory foam mattress, worth invest on one since you will spending one third of your life sleeping away.

mehhhhhhh...... serta.... but $$$$...

Both are so so brand in term of quality. Low end Seahorse tends to be quite hard with only a thin layer of foam. And even those high end mattress using coil spring will lose its tension after a few years of usage. Best is memory foam mattress, worth invest on one since you will spending one third of your life sleeping away.

Not quite true.

The very best mattresses are "Latex Gold" pure latex mattresses, but they can run in to some serious money, with most costing a small fortune (in Perth, up to about 8,000 AUD depending on brand and size).

Memory foam is the next best thing unless you are using a really well developed spring mattress.

I got my seahorse mattress for almost 12 years already. Still solid, no sinking feelings, no backache, no squeaking sounds from springs ;)

HO HO HO!

Mattress ... mistress ... Kotex di di wanna 'volunteer' to 'test' mistresses err ... mattresses? :bsmilie:

Went to 'view' the Seahorse mattresses earlier. The better quality spring one felt the nicest, while the memory foam ones were OK. Only concern was that Seahose absolutely NO warranty of any kind, and the memory foam pillow I got is now flattened. Also the sales guy did say that their spring mattresses only got 600 springs whereas the other reputable brands have around 1K springs. Could not tell me if the springs were single, double or simik pocketed so we have no idea of the 'longevity' of the casings and layers etc.

Gonna look at Dunlopillo and Slumberland as well.

Poor boi so budget is below 1K. But at least now got quite a few sales going on.

how about tempur? anyone using it?

I am looking to buy one of the pillows.

Tempur's really nice, but can get a little hot under the foam, which seems to be a common observation among memory foam users.

If any of you got backache and shoulder arch problem. Get the hardest seahorse mattress.
10 years ago, I use to have back shoulder aches on one side consistently such that one side can get sore and slightly swollen in the morning and resulted in the aching bone tends to protude further out (left/right back uneven)

I knew what the problem was and got a super hard seahorse mattress. After 6months, the aching shoulder was back in position and pain goes away, both side now balanced. No more swollen and aching shoulder.

Depends on how you sleep (side, back, tummy) and how heavy you are, actually... Buying mattresses are like buying shoes, just because it works well for others, it doesn't mean it'll work well for you.

Both brands offer upper and lower end products, why not find a retailer that allows you to try the bed for a couple of weeks? Not sure if they have that in Singapore, but in UK/US etc. they offer 30-60 day trial periods for mattresses.

Slept on a Simmons for 7 years and it was awesome. Had to give it away when I moved back to Singapore.

Slept on a Slumberland for 5 years after that, it was ok, but not as good as the Simmons.

would u pay 300 more or 1.3k for simmons queen size mattress?

would u pay 300 more or 1.3k for simmons queen size mattress?

Back in the day, IIRC I paid around 690 USD for the Simmons Beautyrest Gibraltar Queen sized in California.

I paid around 3000 RMB for my Slumberland (model 12XX, can't remember) King sized in Shanghai.

So the Simmons wasn't that much more expensive for me. In this case, yes I would pay that little extra for the Simmons. But then again, I bought the Simmons in 1997 and it was a lot cheaper in the states compared to Singapore (i heard).