Maternity Shoot

withasmile

Deregistered
Feb 7, 2013
Singapore
Good Day All!!!

I'm new to doing shoots and was recently ask to do a Maternity Shoot.
I'll appreciate if all of you can help provide guidance.
:)

I would say get to know the mom-to-be first, what is she comfortable with shooting, what kind of style/look. Most likely you'll be looking to book a studio with some privacy and maybe bringing along some cushions etc for comfort.

If you want guidance on how to shoot in a studio, there are plenty of videos online.

In addition to what Catchlight shown on that video, please don't do the shirtless father pics unless the fathers have athletic bodies with body fat below 10%, too often I see those scawny or fatty bodies or feminine looking dads. Its not a simple task of getting naked and black and white it. This are specialized shoots and the styling is key. If you have to ask...

My style would go for simplistic shots. No fancy or exaggerated styles. No elaborate background or props.

Good Day All!!!

Maternity images should have these elements in it:

1. the lighting to show off the "curve"
2. the pose to reduce the "weight" gain during pregnancy
3. the "mood"

Hope it helps...

It is not as easy as many people would think, so if you are not sure how to, best to recommend it to people who know. The easiest is to just google Maternity Photography and see what comes up.

Regards,

Hart

Maternity images should have these elements in it:

1. the lighting to show off the "curve"
2. the pose to reduce the "weight" gain during pregnancy
3. the "mood"

Hope it helps...

It is not as easy as many people would think, so if you are not sure how to, best to recommend it to people who know. The easiest is to just google Maternity Photography and see what comes up.

Regards,

Hart

I just Google it....

your site, Sok Eng's site, Yew kwang's site, and my site are all on first page. heheheheheh

Good Day All!!!

sound like asking a recruit to carry out a mission in RAMBO style.

we have no idea are you competent in exposure, composition, lighting, posing etc,

make no mistake, shooting people is not so simple, and maternity is one of the hardest subject to shoot, usually don't have any opportunity to do a reshoot, so you only have one chance to do it right.

however, seem this mother to be have not much expectation, just go ahead and shoot whatever you can.

Yeah, a lot of unknowns. What I took away from my single (very limited) experience with a maternity shoot: Be very sensitive to how the mother is feeling/doing. Ensure you have constant communication and check whether she's tired, or if she needs a break, etc. Depending on her fitness level and stage of pregnancy, she may not be able to be on her feet for too long, or hold a particular pose that another mother (in reference photo maybe) may be able to hold, etc. If she's uncomfortable in any way, it'll show. It may be so subtle you'll miss it in person but when it's all over and you're sitting down to post-process the photos, it's right there in your face. ;p

What are your plans for location/wardrobe/hair/makeup? Discuss with the couple.
Get them to send you snapshots of their outfits so you can give feedback or make suggestions.

i would say "don't do it" if you don't have ANY experience

LOL, somebody will say "if don't do it, how to get any experience?"

anyway, we don't know what photos TS can produce, maybe this Mother to Be already seen some of TS's photos and it is good enough for her, that is why asking TS to do.
so... just go for it lor..

LOL, somebody will say "if don't do it, how to get any experience?"

anyway, we don't know what photos TS can produce, maybe this Mother to Be already seen some of TS's photos and it is good enough for her, that is why asking TS to do.
so... just go for it lor..

I was recently asked the same question by a friend: to do a baby portrait. Because she loves my landscape and street photos.

Same difference.

I was recently asked the same question by a friend: to do a baby portrait. Because she loves my landscape and street photos.

Same difference.
ok lor,
maybe she see your photos sharp sharp clear clear, better than those blurry blurry baby photos she tried with her iphone, she think your camera must be very good,
so as long can see the face and four limbs sharp sharp clear clear can liao lor.....

another main reason is most likely she think you will shoot free for her....................

just admit it, everybody loves free photoshoot!

ok lor,
maybe she see your photos sharp sharp clear clear, better than those blurry blurry baby photos she tried with her iphone, she think your camera must be very good,
so as long can see the face and four limbs sharp sharp clear clear can liao lor.....

another main reason is most likely she think you will shoot free for her....................

just admit it, everybody loves free photoshoot!

Haha. Not free though. Paid.