Masters, help me:)

boliaocomein

Mar 3, 2010
Hello all, thought of getting one DSLR and looking at a few with the budget around SGD1600.
Any to recommend? was look at Canon550D: )
Might get during I.T. show time...

Welocme to CS:)

Btw, does canon have a 550D?

welcome to the club!

yeah, it's 18mp... midlevel dslr :)

Thank for the welcome : )
any idea what is the best deal in town now? haha

Hello...welcome.

You have a very decent budget.

You may want to check out the following cams as well to see if they are comfortable to you.

Nikon D90
Canon 500D
Sony A500/550
Pentax K-x/K7
Olympus E30/E620

Otherwise you'll have to wait for the 550D to reach our shores to see if it's comfortable to you.

might want to compare first the price with those being sold at camera shops (there's a price guide section here in clubsnap), IT shows will just load you up with "freebies" you actually pay for

Get a second hand DSLR and lens? Plenty in the forum. Can save some money. :thumbsup:

If I have to do it all over again with a healthy budget of $1600, these would be what I would look at:

1. Pentax K-x
2. Sony Alpha A500/A550

Why? You have in-built image stabilizers on the camera already, thus saving the $$$ for cheaper lenses.

Also, with kit lenses, the Pentax, AFAIK, with 18-55 & 55-300, would only be about $1400 (Please correct me as I'm not up-to-date with the latest prices), and you can have the $200 for other gadget/items you need.

I'm using Canon 500D, although I have no regrets, I find the wide variety of lenses very tempting to get me into the BBB virus. So, I just rent them whenever I need. But if you want to buy into a system for life, Canon and Nikon are two good reputable brands.

What you need to do, as I'm guessing you are a lady, is to try out the various cameras with the various lenses on it, kit, telezoom, and feel the weight and comfort of fit. End of the day, ergonomics of the camera do play a large part if you are walking about town/overseas taking shots and don't want your fingers to cramp because of the weight of the camera.

One last shot - DON'T BUY FROM IT SHOWS, as you don't save any money at all, you'll be paying at RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE of the brand. If you buy at the shops, you will find you will get a better bargain, i.e., lower pricing (not hundreds of dollars, but in $xx) and may get better quality freebies at times. Or if you don't want the freebies, go use the savings for quality filters/tripods/batteries/cleaning kit/bag & carrier/dry cabinet, etc. (although not necessarily in that order depending on what is your priority, but dry cabinet is a must to ensure your investment lasts).

HTH.

Cheers!

Ding

Last edited:
Hey all, Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it : )))
most likely getting more information before getting, and hopefully 550D will be a reasonable price..

dingaroo: thanks for the details.

Last edited:
If I have to do it all over again with a healthy budget of $1600, these would be what I would look at:

1. Pentax K-x
2. Sony Alpha A500/A550

Why? You have in-built image stabilizers on the camera already, thus saving the $$$ for cheaper lenses.

Also, with kit lenses, the Pentax, AFAIK, with 18-55 & 55-300, would only be about $1400 (Please correct me as I'm not up-to-date with the latest prices), and you can have the $200 for other gadget/items you need.

Ding

Hehe.....Pentax K-x costs $899 for the dual lens kit only:)

TS:$1600 is a big budget.Let me do some calculations for you:

Pentax K-x dual lens kit---$899
Bag---$100
Dry Cab---$100
Batteries---$50
Memory card---$30
Filter---$40
Blower etc.---$50

Total not even $1300:bsmilie:

Hehe.....Pentax K-x costs $899 for the dual lens kit only:)

TS:$1600 is a big budget.Let me do some calculations for you:

Pentax K-x dual lens kit---$899
Bag---$100
Dry Cab---$100
Batteries---$50
Memory card---$30
Filter---$40
Blower etc.---$50

Total not even $1300:bsmilie:

HAHAA!!! Thanks Cleonbus, thats really detail! is Pentax K-x better than the 500D?

just my humble suggestion: get a basic DSLR and pick up photography first.. get some good lenses along the way.. den keep the lenses and sell the body away if U need to upgrade to a better camera... it is not easy to learn photography skills.. i've know pple who r simply too busy or too lazy to contd.. $$$ den will be wasted.
Maybe oso use the $$ to attend some photography courses

HAHAA!!! Thanks Cleonbus, thats really detail! is Pentax K-x better than the 500D?

pentax k-x review
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/
The K-x is a very capable little camera indeed. Pentax has managed to squeeze what is, for this class of camera, an impressive feature set into the camera's minuscule, rather inconspicuous, body and the image quality, especially in low light, is the best we have seen so far in the entry-level bracket of the DSLR market. To put some icing on the cake, all of this comes at a currently, compared to the closest rivals, very attractive price point. To us the lack of visible AF points is the camera's only real drawback but if you can live with this omission you can't go wrong with the Pentax K-x.

canon 500d review
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

canon 550d preview
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/

side by side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...non_eos500d,canon_eos550d,pentax_kx&show=all-

differences (k-x being talked about here):
-lower resolution (to be honest, i don't really think you need 18 megapixels)
-base iso (200 versus 100)
-in-camera image stabilisation (meaning every lens you mount is stabilised)
-11 af points versus 9
-max shutter 1/6000 sec versus 1/3000 sec
-much more flash modes (rear curtain, slow)
-4.7 fps versus 3.4/3.7
-poorer lcd resolution though
-uses aa batteries versus lithium ion

i think if you're looking for capable cameras, all 3 are capable.

if you're looking for the most bang for buck, pentax k-x.

$899 won't even get you the body only for 500d or 550d.

As usual Guru night86mare breaks it down for you in more detailed.

Its not the camera that makes the picture, but the person with the eye and heart behind it. Even pros sometimes use PnS and still can come up with amazingly good pictures.

Camera is just a tool. Remember that.

Cheers!