Mastering the UWA lens

I am thinking of including uwa for Micro 4/3 and leica. Anyone any suggestions or ideas?

Update - 28 Oct 2010
1. Add 5 more Mastering UWA lens links
2. Add lens mount for each lens
3. Add Carl Zeiss 18, 20 and Tamron 10-24, 11-18
4. Add Lens Review links
5. Add Group Lenses Review links

6. Add tamron 10-24 review by Nightwolf75

Last edited:
Nice thread :)

this is a nice thread, the articles you linked to are quite informative.

suggest that you change "fixed focus lens" to "prime lens" or "fixed focal length lens". fixed focus = those cheapo $5 PnS cameras.

Can we include in Full Frame 4/3 lens (12-60 Zuiko ZD), Full Frame 6x7 Medium format lens (Mamiya RZ67 50/4.5)?

nice informative!

add: this should be stickied :D

Last edited:
Sony 11-18 f4.5-5.6
Tamron 11-18 f4.5-5.6

Bro, so you know, these 2 are practically the same lens. Tamron designed several lenses for Sony, just like how Tokina designed some lenses for Pentax.

hi, maybe can add 8-16mm sigma... it is specially created for DX camera..
cheers!
this has already been added since day one this thread started. I have my eyes on this for a bit when it came out till I saw thread size....82mm

this is a nice thread, the articles you linked to are quite informative.

suggest that you change "fixed focus lens" to "prime lens" or "fixed focal length lens". fixed focus = those cheapo $5 PnS cameras.
Thanks. Good idea. Gonna change it.
edit. Sounds a bit mouth full for "fixed focal length lens". Maybe we should just call them prime.

Can we include in Full Frame 4/3 lens (12-60 Zuiko ZD), Full Frame 6x7 Medium format lens (Mamiya RZ67 50/4.5)?
Let me check out this lens first. Probably I have miss the non-main stream lens. Thanks.

*edit - currently I'm not familiar with the 4/3 lens and the medium format lens. Let me read up a bit more and see how to fit them in.

nice informative!

add: this should be stickied :D
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sony 11-18 f4.5-5.6
Tamron 11-18 f4.5-5.6

Bro, so you know, these 2 are practically the same lens. Tamron designed several lenses for Sony, just like how Tokina designed some lenses for Pentax.

hmmm.... looks like I didn't dig deep enough. Thanks for the info.
However, the Sony 11-18 is manufactured by Sony itself or Tamron?
If it is manufactured by Sony itself, then I think it should by itself Sony 11-18 and Tamron 11-18 - S. Just for the clear distinction that this lens is made by who even though it maybe the of the same design with a different badge.

However, I will definitely add a note at somewhere appropriate to link these 2 lenses as of same design.

What do you think?

The Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 for FF is missing... :(

It had been a workhorse for me on my 5DM2, not only for scenery shots... but some alternative portraiture too.

35867_406565183555_576318555_4243106_4576290_n.jpg

Shot in 17mm F2.8

Last edited:
The Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 for FF is missing... :(

It had been a workhorse for me on my 5DM2, not only for scenery shots... but some alternative portraiture too.
[/CENTER]

Great looking photo.
Can you include a simple write up on getting this photo? Thanks.
Hmmm... how can I miss such a value for money ff uwa.?
Can't seems to find it on the tamron sites, however, it is still available on the third party site.
The lenses included here are the current lens available.
Has Tamron stop producing this lens?

Last edited:
Great looking photo.
Can you include a simple write up on getting this photo? Thanks.
Hmmm... how can I miss such a value for money ff uwa.?
Can't seems to find it on the tamron sites, however, it is still available on the third party site.
The lenses included here are the current lens available.
Has Tamron stop producing this lens?

The shot was rather simple to achieve, it was shot at 17mm F2.8.

If I am not wrong the lens cost about new S$460/- (grey). Details of the lens can be found -> http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...yhlVZv&sig=AHIEtbQbdDKS98qYoyGhteEiR455_o4hqQ

hmmm.... looks like I didn't dig deep enough. Thanks for the info.
However, the Sony 11-18 is manufactured by Sony itself or Tamron?
If it is manufactured by Sony itself, then I think it should by itself Sony 11-18 and Tamron 11-18 - S. Just for the clear distinction that this lens is made by who even though it maybe the of the same design with a different badge.

However, I will definitely add a note at somewhere appropriate to link these 2 lenses as of same design.

What do you think?

Bro more information on the Sony...
http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/375-sony_1118_4556

Maybe just keep both, since they look slightly different. But lens formula, optics and mechanics are identical. Just that I think the Sony version has sony colors and an additional switch.

But really who makes it, no one can give a definite answer. But it is definitely cross licensed from Tamron. Also Sony owns a substantial share of Tamron. FYI.

the 17-35 tamron has been out of production for close to 2 years now, if im not wrong.

it works fine on ff, if you're not too particular about 3rd party brands; i've had mine for close to a year now(lost track), and it's been working fine, with minimal issues.

i'd recommend it for ff users who just need a uwa for a pinch. mr anson here is testament to it

regards.

These are great compilations! Thank you for collating them.:thumbsup:

hi, please add

Olympus
ZD 7-14mm f4
ZD 9-18 f4-5.6
mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6

Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm f4

I have to read up a bit on micro 4/3 as I am unfamiliar with this system.

These are great compilations! Thank you for collating them.:thumbsup:
You are welcome. :)

Update. Added UWA lens for Micro four thirds for olympus and Panasonic.

hi, please add

Olympus
ZD 7-14mm f4
ZD 9-18 f4-5.6
mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6

Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm f4

Hi some correction
ZD 7-14 f4 and ZD 9-18 f4-5.6 are 4/3 mount

mZD 9-18 f4-5.6 and Lumis 7-14mm f4 is m4/3 month

there are for different system.

*missed out ZD 11-22mm f2.8-3.5