Mass storage/transfer device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hello all out there :)

I am wondering what you may be using to dump your memory cards to if you require portable ... "not laptop", storage.

The reason I ask is that I have just purchased a small unit (3" x 4.5" x .75") with a 80gb hard drive.

It takes most cards known to man and will dump a 1gb cf card in less than 10 minutes.

The unit comes under a few names (this one is, DC Partner).

I have seen the same branded as "DigiMate"

You can buy the unit without 2.5" hard drive and fit your own, but I decided to simply buy the 80GB version.

Here in Australia it cost me $256 delivered; and I thought that was cool.

Does anyone use one of these or something like it and care to share their experiences ?

By the way, this is a storage only device, no pic viewing screen... only indicates status.

My reason for using this unit is.... 3 x 1gb CF cards and rotate between what is in the camera and what is being downloaded. "1 is for backup"

Cheers :)

Dude

are u specifically asking about the performance of the portable storage device tat u've just bought or those portable storage in general.

If the 'digimate' type, sorry i do not have any feedback on tat, but i do own a Transcend Digital Album. To me it's very useful since i only have 2 1G CF card. SO it's good when 1 card is full i can always transfer while e other one is still being used.

Another thing i find useful is wen u travel. I cant afford to carry so many CF card, so a portable hard drive comes in very handy.

FYI, mine comes with MP3 function n LCD. So i can view at the photos wen i'm bored during e trip or listen to the mp3 wen i'm on e road.

I occassionally use it to transfer large files fm office to home since i dont own thumb drives n those other stuff.

Hope tat answer ur qs.

I am using the DigiMate II plus, with a 100GB HDD (FAT32 formatted, yields about 93GB)

Extremely useful. The only shortfall is that as there is no viewer, there is always this 'unsure' feeling when I upload pic from my CF to it. Also, it work on internal Lition batteries, so need to recharge. Have seen one that works on 4 x AA (CompactDrive I think but much more expensive. The case cost S$60, and the Sunsung 100GB HDD set me back another S$150.

Works very well. 480 MBPS

Cheers!
Dan

danmic said:
I am using the DigiMate II plus, with a 100GB HDD (FAT32 formatted, yields about 93GB)

Extremely useful. The only shortfall is that as there is no viewer, there is always this 'unsure' feeling when I upload pic from my CF to it. Also, it work on internal Lition batteries, so need to recharge. Have seen one that works on 4 x AA (CompactDrive I think but much more expensive. The case cost S$60, and the Sunsung 100GB HDD set me back another S$150.

Cheers!
Dan

Hi Dan,

Just to confirm again.. Is the speed 480MB/s correct? It's really too fast a transfer. That means 1 GB card within a few seconds? :sweat:

kiwi2 said:
Hi Dan,

Just to confirm again.. Is the speed 480MB/s correct? It's really too fast a transfer. That means 1 GB card within a few seconds? :sweat:
I think he was confused with the misleading info delibrately printed all over the box. They usually print "480mbps transfer" referring to the USB2.0 max transfer speed to the PC as stated in the USB2.0 high speed specifications. You can never achieve those speeds..

kiwi2 said:
Hi Dan,

That's USB 2 max transfer speed. Bottleneck is on the hardisk transfer speed.

Regards,
Arto.

Oh oh... Ha.. I see. So roughly for 1GB card what's the ACTUAL transfer speed?

Anyone knows where is a good place I can get those storage devices, like Transcend Album or Digimate? I tried my friend's Compact Drive 70X. This is one heck of a fast device but it's heavy and its SD card slot scratches the surface of my SD card! They have little pins there... Not sure what they are for. Don't see them in my own card reader though.

kiwi2 said:
Oh oh... Ha.. I see. So roughly for 1GB card what's the ACTUAL transfer speed?

Anyone knows where is a good place I can get those storage devices, like Transcend Album or Digimate? I tried my friend's Compact Drive 70X. This is one heck of a fast device but it's heavy and its SD card slot scratches the surface of my SD card! They have little pins there... Not sure what they are for. Don't see them in my own card reader though.

Th 480 MBPS is the USB max speed. Not sure what is the HDD transfer speed, but i usually able to dump about 600MB of images in about 3-4 mins. I am not a tech-y so am not sure if it has anything to do with the HDD u use.

I bought mine from shop in Fu Nan. Saw the Compact Drive too, selling around $400 for a 100G model. ($489 at Challanger, $399 at Alan Photo)

There is this review that might help.
http://www.solidautomation.com/bryon/Digimate/DigiMate_II.html

Cheers!
DAn

kiwi2 said:
Hi Dan,

Btw, USB 2.0 specs is for max speed of 480 mega bits per second or 60 mega bytes per second. So even if you can transfer 1GB at the max speed, it's going to take 16+seconds, not a few seconds.

Tnx Dan and mpenza.

So many different brands to choose from. *headache*

The Compact Drive costs more and is too heavy and bulky when I travel. I'm willing to sacrifice transfer speed for convenience. Will continue to look around.

there's compactdrive pd70x and nexto-cf at eastgear. both copies from cf at 16mb/s and compactdrive runs on AA batteries, so can save u when there's no ac point or when the original batteries fail.

danmic said:

Cheers!
Dan

Hi Dan,

The DC Partner I have is the same unit as the DigiMate II. Different badge.

As I only require a place to dump my CF cards whilst out, no viewing of pic's is needed by me.

It takes aprox 9 minutes to dump a 1GB Extreme III CF card,
(during this time I have another in my camera then visa-versa)

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.