Mass Order: Lexar Firewire CF Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Anybody interested in joining in mass order for Lexar (premium US branded) Firewire CompactFlash Card Reader?

Especially those digi-SLR users who need to transfer GBs of data to the PC - USB1.1 is just too slow nowadays.

Estimated cost will be $145-150 (vs. $175 at Boon & Co.). The more ppl join, the cheaper it will be.

Post your name here and I will compile.

Errmm.. Darren, it looks like the same MIT Firewire card reader that everyone is selling...

Err...
Relax leh Darren... go easy on the kid!!!

Btw, what the diff between a 4-pin and 6-pin IEEE1394 connector? Anyone can enlighten mi?

Not if it's the same overpriced reader from Lexar.

Originally posted by Bluestrike
Err...
Relax leh Darren... go easy on the kid!!!

Btw, what the diff between a 4-pin and 6-pin IEEE1394 connector? Anyone can enlighten mi?

6 pins provide power, IIRC. That's the proper implementation of 1394. 4 pin is SONY's version, which as we know Sony, eheheh :p

Originally posted by YSLee
Not if it's the same overpriced reader from Lexar.

erm... since i dont frequent SLS, the only FireWire card readers I know are from Cathay and Boon & Co. and they are definitely overpriced.

Appreciate if you could share some info ;)

p.s. - Bluestrike : aiya, me kidding with YS only mah - didnt see my ;p ;p at the end of the post meh?

Originally posted by YSLee

6 pins provide power, IIRC. That's the proper implementation of 1394. 4 pin is SONY's version, which as we know Sony, eheheh :p
OIC.....
hhhwhhehhehee thanks!
BTW, our PC port, how we know it 6 or 4-pin? or is it standard one?

They're all made by Datafab(Taiwanese company). Everyone else puts their stickers on it and doubles the price.

I got mine for SGD$88 at Maxim last year. Unfortunately they're out of stock - I just called them.

The exact model is this one:

MDCF-FW
MDCF-FW.jpg

Did not even need to install any drivers. Win98SE recognised it as a plug and play device and it appeared automatically as a removable drive.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
They're all made by Datafab(Taiwanese company). Everyone else puts their stickers on it and doubles the price.

Well, well, well, what do you know - learn something new everyday.

BUT!! It doesn't change a thing, I am now contacting Datafab to see if we can buy direct from them... heh heh... there are more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

So, please, still post here if you are interested.

Originally posted by Darren

Well, well, well, what do you know - learn something new everyday.

BUT!! It doesn't change a thing, I am now contacting Datafab to see if we can buy direct from them... heh heh... there are more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

So, please, still post here if you are interested.
so Darren, any luck on it?

Missed this thread the last time. I'm definitely interested. Keep me posted too

Originally posted by cheangv
Missed this thread the last time. I'm definitely interested. Keep me posted too
yeah so am i... since i think it's only a matter of time (and saving up money) before i get a DSLR. keep me in the loop too...

Unfortunately, the company (Datafab) we tried to contact in Taiwan sort of never respond after a few emails, so gave up already. They did respond with "Yes, we have - how many you want?" and when we say "Btwn 100-500", then no reply liao :dunno:

Anyway, a very reliable source *cough*yslee*cough* has informed me that Alan Photo has the FireWire CF Card reader in stock at ard $85-90.

So, sadly, I have to call off this MO and we can all go give AP some biz.

Originally posted by Darren
Unfortunately, the company (Datafab) we tried to contact in Taiwan sort of never respond after a few emails, so gave up already. They did respond with "Yes, we have - how many you want?" and when we say "Btwn 100-500", then no reply liao :dunno:

Anyway, a very reliable source *cough*yslee*cough* has informed me that Alan Photo has the FireWire CF Card reader in stock at ard $85-90.

So, sadly, I have to call off this MO and we can all go give AP some biz.
K K K ....
Look like AP going to see a horde of us soon........
hehhehehheeee................

Status
Not open for further replies.