• XENNEC Camera Bags GIVE AWAY - SHARE & TAG your Friend to WIN one XENNEC Stylish bags. Visit this thread thread for more information.

Mass Order Diafine b/w Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryk

Mar 8, 2004
Hi, anybody interested in ordering Diafine developer? Does wonders for black and white developing, just drop a little note if you're interested. You can find out the great stuff diafine can do on the internet, especially the ability to push tri-x to 1600 without the grain being affected and almost leaving developing times worry-free, as it has such a big developing time latency. Just finding out who's interested, and if possible, will find out a way to mass order.

Patryk

Mar 8, 2004
I'll get back to you guys with the price. It will evidently be slightly more pricey than normal developers, but it'll be worth it as you can reuse this mother quite a number of times....and for those who are also interested just drop a little note too...i think i can go order from overseas through someone in offstone...

here's the link on what diafine can do:
http://sddunnam.home.comcast.net/diafine_developer.htm

sfhuang

Jan 21, 2002
sfhuang.clubsnap.org
Do check out a similar thread on Offstone forums some time back (about 1 yr ago). The costs in bringing it in via MO are very high because of customs cost (that is, *IF* US/Singapore customs allow it through, with the heightened security checks). Fact is, you will likely end up paying >$100 for just 1 gallon mix. A cheaper alternative is to ask someone who's flying to the States to bring it back for you. I got mine this way for just $50 (or $60 I can't remember). ;)

sequitur

Apr 17, 2003
flickr.com
lol

yeah perhaps

i'm not dying for diafine, i'm happy with my current developer.. :)

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
I'm ordering about six of the 1 gallon pack from the States. It's about $53-56 per unit via airmail. The last time I ordered it was $60 per gallon pack, during the days when US dollar was high.

Each gallon pack can last you for a VERY long time.... let's put it this way, I've ran through 70 rolls of tri-x from the 1.5 liter bottle and it is still going strong. Still have another 1.5 liter in sealed bottle waiting to be opened ;)

Anyone interested?

canturn said:
I'm ordering about six of the 1 gallon pack from the States. It's about $53-56 per unit via airmail. The last time I ordered it was $60 per gallon pack, during the days when US dollar was high.

Each gallon pack can last you for a VERY long time.... let's put it this way, I've ran through 70 rolls of tri-x from the 1.5 liter bottle and it is still going strong. Still have another 1.5 liter in sealed bottle waiting to be opened ;)

Anyone interested?
I certainly am if:

1) I can pay via PayPal
2) If you can get it to Taipei ;)

Looks like it works well with my favorite flavor HP5+, too. Has anyone tried it with the new Tri-X emultion?

After some quick calling around to friends, it looks like Adorama in NY will ship to Asia...well, at least Taiwan but I can't see Singapore being an issue. I mean, it's not like it's *gum* or anything ;)

Anyway, they tell me that shipping is about the same price as the product itself, so the total for 1 Gal. would come to ~US$30. Just to be sure that they would ship to the region I dropped a note to their info email.

Here is their catalog link:

http://www.adorama.com/CHDG.html?searchinfo=diafine&item_no=1

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
OpenLens said:
I certainly am if:

1) I can pay via PayPal
2) If you can get it to Taipei ;)

Looks like it works well with my favorite flavor HP5+, too. Has anyone tried it with the new Tri-X emultion?
Okay, HP5 vs tri-x in diafine...

Ever since I started darkroom printing, tri-x in diafine has been my fav. combination.

Skin tone wise, HP5+ has the advantage.

However, a few things about tri-x that has an edge over HP5+ in diafine...

1. HP5+ loses out in terms of speed. The ideal ASA to use is 800, which IMO is a little slow. I've done a couple of HP5+ pushed to 1250 developed using microphen - fine grains and doesn't give you that 'pushed' look. Tri-x, on the other hand, can go as high as 1250 (some folks even pushed it to 1600).

2. Personally, I do find the negative a little flat when using HP5+ in diafine. End up having to print at grade 3.5 to 4 to get the desired contrast. Tri-x on the other hand, is very contrasty in diafine...prints very well on diffuser type enlarger at grade 1.5 - 2.

3. This sounds lame, but there's no bulk film for HP5+ in Singapore. But tri-x's readily available in tins :D

canturn said:
Okay, HP5 vs tri-x in diafine...

Ever since I started darkroom printing, tri-x in diafine has been my fav. combination.

Skin tone wise, HP5+ has the advantage.

However, a few things about tri-x that has an edge over HP5+ in diafine...

1. HP5+ loses out in terms of speed. The ideal ASA to use is 800, which IMO is a little slow. I've done a couple of HP5+ pushed to 1250 developed using microphen - fine grains and doesn't give you that 'pushed' look. Tri-x, on the other hand, can go as high as 1250 (some folks even pushed it to 1600).
Are you referring to the old or new Tri-X emultion? There may be differences. The insert that comes with Diafine lists the optimal EI for the old emultion.

2. Personally, I do find the negative a little flat when using HP5+ in diafine. End up having to print at grade 3.5 to 4 to get the desired contrast. Tri-x on the other hand, is very contrasty in diafine...prints very well on diffuser type enlarger at grade 1.5 - 2.
Yeah, that's where the major difference is between Tri-X and HP5+ (developer-not-included). Tri-X has a higher "default" contrast while HP5+ has a better "default" tonal range. Both can be adjusted as one sees fit through developer choice and bath time/dilute...but diafine doesn't have that ability. Basically, you have to take what you get with it...can't water it down for a longer bath and thus higher contrast or vice-versa. And reading the material on it, it seems that diafine is better suited to higher contrast films and scenes...a natural for Tri-X ;)

3. This sounds lame, but there's no bulk film for HP5+ in Singapore. But tri-x's readily available in tins :D
Not lame. I can't find bulk roll HP5+ (or any Ilford film) in Taiwan either and it frustrates the h*ll out of me.

canturn said:
New elmusion...

Friend uses old 320txp 220 format... that one u can rate at EI 1600, no prob
I have a few rolls of new Tri-X already (HP5+ has sold-out island-wide thanks to their 2+1 packs). Now I will just have to wait with CC in-hand for Adorama to get back to me on shipping cost ;p

Patryk

Mar 8, 2004
Hey canturn, pls contact me again when you're about to go to the states so that i can order a bottle... thanks...

plsoong

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
can turn,

anyway u can think if bringing in contrast graded AGFA papers?

Nov 30, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Will definitely be interested to buy this developer if the deal is still on. So is the MO still on :dunno:

nicky

Apr 13, 2002
Is this MO still on ? I'd like to place orders if it is.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
sorry to disturb any MO if there is, but i've 2 cans of Diafine available. bought too much from the last MO, and i hardly got time to do B&W processing nowsadays. anyone interested, pls PM me, i will let go @ the same price i got them - $60 each.

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
Larry said:
sorry to disturb any MO if there is, but i've 2 cans of Diafine available. bought too much from the last MO, and i hardly got time to do B&W processing nowsadays. anyone interested, pls PM me, i will let go @ the same price i got them - $60 each.
I can verify that Larry did get them @ $60 each, coz I was the one who organised the MO ;)

The usual supplier that I'm buying from ran out of stock, probably takes around 2 weeks to re-stock.

If any of you want to share one tin, make sure someone MIX the ENTIRE CAN with 1 gallon water FIRST. Diafine powder is like soap powder, they're not homogenous crystals, but composite of different types of salt and powder...

nicky

Apr 13, 2002
Hi Larry ,

Sent you a PM. I'm interested to get a can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom