Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin^Newbie

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Erm i dont know where can i post this so sorry...

Anyway Tml the sun/moon will be very close to the mars...are you guy going to take photo of it...?

What lens you guy will be using and what time and where....???

Kelvin^Newbie said:

Anyway Tml the sun/moon will be very close to the mars...are you guy going to take photo of it...?

I'll be photographing it if the weather holds out.

Lens required: (35mm equivalent): 40,000-50,000mm (am not joking as mars is all of 25.7 arc seconds in diameter).

Where: Perth.

Kelvin^Newbie said:

They said tonight Mars will be brighter, not bigger. Does that make it less interesting to shoot?

what time is this taking place huh bros?

Erm...just gonna take a look at it...if it gd i gonna take the photo dwn...
280yr later than you will see it again...

At this time in SINGAPORE WEST Area. A little bright spot can been seen very clear :bigeyes: Check it out.

KCBox said:
At this time in SINGAPORE WEST Area. A little bright spot can been seen very clear :bigeyes: Check it out.

oO big or small? i in the north lehz...not sure can see it anot...

Very small little spot. I used a Russian Scope to see on 99990 x 1980 still very small. Now is at CityHall upper sky line. :(

KCBox said:
Very small little spot. I used a Russian Scope to see on 99990 x 1980 still very small. Now is at CityHall upper sky line. :(

omg...wanted to go out have a look...i heard this from you i dun wish to go liao...lolx

KCBox said:

Wah lao...still trying to look at it with my Nikon Lens Scope converter with 300mm lens. Just one small orange dot only ! :cry:

Ansel said:
Wah lao...still trying to look at it with my Nikon Lens Scope converter with 300mm lens. Just one small orange dot only ! :cry:

ya norz....i tot how big will it be

Kelvin^Newbie said:
ya norz....i tot how big will it be

Told you guys earlier that the Mars is just "brighter", not "bigger". Anyway, you can continue to see this bright spot in the sky for the next few nights. Hopefully there will be clear black sky in the next few nights.

Astin said:
Told you guys earlier that the Mars is just "brighter", not "bigger". Anyway, you can continue to see this bright spot in the sky for the next few nights. Hopefully there will be clear black sky in the next few nights.

Not quite true Astin and here's why.

The apparent diameter of mars varies depending on where it is located in it's orbit relative to Earth. At a normal conjunction it has an apparent diameter of around 17.9 arc seconds, however for the current 2003 conjunction the apparent diameter was 25.11 arc seconds.

Physical diameter (arc seconds)

Mon 25/8/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Tues 26/8/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Wed 27/8/03: 25.11 arc seconds
Thurs 28/08/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Fri 29/08/03: 25.09 arc seconds
Sat 30/08/03: 25.07 arc seconds
Sun 31/08/03: 25.03 arc seconds

The apparent change in brightness was from -2.8 to -2.9 at conjunction and back to -2.8 at present. For naked eye and small telescopes a negligible change in brightness that most observers are NOT capable of detecting without a photoelectric detector.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian said:
Not quite true Astin and here's why.

The apparent diameter of mars varies depending on where it is located in it's orbit relative to Earth. At a normal conjunction it has an apparent diameter of around 17.9 arc seconds, however for the current 2003 conjunction the apparent diameter was 25.11 arc seconds.

Physical diameter (arc seconds)

Mon 25/8/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Tues 26/8/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Wed 27/8/03: 25.11 arc seconds
Thurs 28/08/03: 25.10 arc seconds
Fri 29/08/03: 25.09 arc seconds
Sat 30/08/03: 25.07 arc seconds
Sun 31/08/03: 25.03 arc seconds

The apparent change in brightness was from -2.8 to -2.9 at conjunction and back to -2.8 at present. For naked eye and small telescopes a negligible change in brightness that most observers are NOT capable of detecting without a photoelectric detector.

Cheers,
Ian

wow...seem like you did alot of study in tt mars...oO

Kelvin^Newbie said:
wow...seem like you did alot of study in tt mars...oO

Nah not really, astronomy and related sciences have been a pet hobby of mine since I was a young child. I just wish I had more time to spend out taking astrophotos at present but the weather's been pure crud here in Perth for weeks and has only just let up enough for me to go out and get a bit of observing in on Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.