Mars Watch 2005 @ Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
The Facts
Mars oppositions happen about every 26 months.

For the last 600,000 years, Earth and Mars was closest to each other on the August 27, 2003.

26 mths later, on 3 Nov 2005, Mars will again come into opposition, and will be a blazing red beacon in our night sky.

The Hoax
"Earth is catching up with Mars for the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history."

"On August 27th … Mars will look as large as the full moon."

"NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN."

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=144357&highlight=mars
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=147670&highlight=mars
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=147292&highlight=mars
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=146069&highlight=mars

See it yourself!
albumpicphp3if.jpg

Mars Watch 2005 will be held on 29 Oct, jointly organised by the Republic Polytechnic astronomy club, Singapore Polytechnic astronomy club, and members from Singastro.org

Venue: Republic Polytechnic sports complex (near Redhill MRT station).
Date: Saturday, 29th October 2005
Time: 7pm till morning

Activities
a. Telescopes for Public Viewing
Volunteers from school clubs and Singastro will set up telescope stations for members of the public to look through. Many amazing telescopes and views of Mars will be available for all to look. Learn about astronomy and telescopes from the many helpful and passionate volunteers.

b. Poster Exhibition
A poster exhibition on Mars and on astronomy prepared by NJC and SP will be displayed along the covered walkways.

c. Astronomy talks
There will be a talk, “An Introduction to Practical Astronomy” by Mr Vincent Kee, a long-time astronomy supporter at 8pm.
Other talks are pending.

d. Live projection screen
An image of Mars from a telescope will be projected unto a video screen live via a webcam.

e. Vendors corner
Some telescope vendors will be there introducing affordable ways to own your very own telescope.

Objectives
1. Public outreach
The universe and the night sky is not something that Singaporeans easily appreciate because of our urban environment. Yet, the stars and the heavens are there every night. Many Singaporeans are instinctively curious and interested in astronomy, but have no avenues for knowing more about the universe we live in. This public event will allow interested individuals, young and old, to get a look of what Mars looks like, learn more about astronomy, and get their questions answered by the gathering of amateur astronomers.

2. Increase awareness and contact between astronomy clubs
There is basically no collaboration and contact between the various school astronomy clubs in Singapore. By contacting and inviting all the astronomy clubs to gather for this event, students and teachers will be able to meet and network with others.

3. Meeting other astronomy enthusiasts
This event will allow people to meet others who share their interest in astronomy. It will allow them to meet new friends and to gain knowledge that others have to share.

4. Enjoy Mars
The planet Mars will not appear as big as this year for another 16 years. Mars Watch provides a view of Mars through the many telescopes that will be set up.

Special for CS members
I will be able to demonstrate astrophotography using Canon DSLR (best if I can get hold of a 20Da) and a modified webcam. Subject to weather condition, I will be able to shoot Mars and Orion nebula using various setup and techniques.

albumpic1php9zk.jpg

Leave your nick here if you are interested to attend this event

upsss for wai,

too bad i have to be studying for exams, looking forward to ur pix

Sure am interested. Unfortunately I will be away. Sure is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't forget to post your pics here Wai.

haha i will keep a lookout for someone doing astrophotography !!

Wow! :eek:
Did you use 2000mm for both photos?
The largest I could probably get my hands on is a 1000mm.
Maybe I could use my 2x teleconvertor... :think:
But that would degrade my picture quality... :(
Would I be able to capture anything worth looking at with a 1000mm lens?

alanswan said:
Wow! :eek:
Did you use 2000mm for both photos?
The largest I could probably get my hands on is a 1000mm.
Maybe I could use my 2x teleconvertor... :think:
But that would degrade my picture quality... :(
Would I be able to capture anything worth looking at with a 1000mm lens?

actually it is the quality of the lenses/mirror used in the telescope and the accuracy of the tracking mount that is more important

Sorry Wai, I would have loved to see how you do this, but I'll be overseas again.

Wahhh Wai,

well done, i am aslo helping out for the event.
looks like CSer and Singastro have something in common

wuy chee yiun

Wai said:
when you come back then i will arrange another session specially for you lor :bsmilie:
Cool! Photo-sharing + practise session in the middle of Punggol :D

redstone said:
No planet or any heavenly body can appear as big as the moon other then the sun.

Mars or venus or any object for that matter can't be as big as the moon, or else Earth's doomed.

i can use photoshop to make the mars as big as the moon ;p

Wai, can arrange special session for me and ykia? :D :D All Punggolians mah... :D

Always have been crazy abt astronomy... too bad I'll be in Melbourne on that date... :p

Do you have shots of the Pleiades? Always love that bunch cos I'm a Taurus (but I'm not into astrology, just astronomy... people get confused sometimes :D)

I'm a Taurus too, no wonder our hobby quite similar...astro and aeroplanes :D

i do need a 350D to take deep sky objects because my 1dMKII is too heavy

but for mars, a modified webcam will be easier

I'm staying in PUNGGOL... perhaps when you guys meetup there.... lemme know..

Would try to make it if possible.. I'm novice photographer.. ;p

philliptan said:
Another Punggolian! :D Welcome!

And I'm a taurus too.. hahaha.. I stayed beside Punggol Plaza..:bsmilie:

Scully we neighbours.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.