Mars at opposition....image using webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starman

Apr 15, 2002
Visit site
Finally I got to process some of my frames. Here is one with 336 images stacked!

Not the best effort, but most of the surface features of Mars are there. You can even see a small dark crater at the lower right corner

finalmars1.jpg

I still have thousands of frames at home..will do later

thanks for showing us what we ordinary folks can't see! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wai said:
too bad the ice cap is not that obvious...cos the Mars has rotated to the other side....

gosh, I left all the avi in the office!!

Anyway, I think need P4 2.4Ghz to process these stuff. Aligning and stacking hundreds over frames take damn long man....

Starman said:

Anyway, I think need P4 2.4Ghz to process these stuff. Aligning and stacking hundreds over frames take damn long man....

haa me using a overclocked version of 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz
hee ... need help ? =P

Starman said:

u want to come over and use my P4-3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM and 15000rpm SCSI harddisk? :D Time to upgrade your PIII-700Mhz!!

anyway, for those who are interested to know how the webcam is attached...here are some pic of the setup

Good thing abt this webcam is that the cable is very very long and the lens can be unscrewed easily. It is light too and come with a very compact casing
webcam.jpg

With the lens and orange hood removed, u can even see the CMOS inside!
webcam-open.jpg

With the black attachment screwed to the webcam, now i can attach to the telescope directly like an eyepiece
webcam-assembled.jpg

For this setup, the barlow is effectively 2x (something like a 2x TC)
webcam-2x.jpg

For this setup, the barlow is effectively 3x
webcam-3x.jpg

Next we will put some dry ice to cool the CCD, this helps to reduce the noise...anyone got lobang for dryice?

eh wai, you take picture ok...but be careful with my scope hor....

The optical quality of this scope is even better than the LX-90. But the alignment thing dunno what's wrong. A guy in US also having same problem....

For dry ice, this place lor :

http://www.dryice.com.sg/

Near my office. But dunno they sell in small quantity or not. If not, we just use ice-sheets.

But if use dry ice, may get condensation problem.

Wai said:
for webcam...may be can try attach to the back of the scope directly without the diagonal...

then you get only f/10, not f/30.

If you use barlow for the 2X setup, you dun need the diagonal.

If you use the barlow for 3X (f/30) setup, you must have the diagonal.

Status
Not open for further replies.