ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
M10-2004
m10_2004.jpg

M1-Q
m1q.jpg

We brought in additional units of the Markins M10-2004 and M1-Q for the recently conducted MO (see here), thus we are offering them to members on a first-come, first-served basis.

The Markins ballheads and some plates are available to view at Eastgear's shop in Peninsula Plaza.

Pricing for M10-2004 is S$545; and M1-Q is S$425.

Markins Ultimate Professional Q-Ball

■ High Capacity Max Load : 40 Kg
■ Low weight Mechanism.
■ Progressive friction control Bi-Axial Mechanism.
■ Very light and smaller
■ Super finished Larger Ball
■ Smoothly rounded edges and Hard Anodizing silky finished surface.
■ Ergonomic simple design.
■ Only One Markins Ballhead is enough for 35mm, Medium Format, View Camera and Long Telephoto Lens.

after using the m10 for 2 weeks. I have the following complains:

none actually.

Bump! We still have some limited quantities of Markins M10 and M1-Qs available.
Hurry on down to Eastgear's shop to view.

how does Markin compare to Arca Swiss?

Kho King said:
how does Markin compare to Arca Swiss?
Smaller, lighter, cheaper with similiar levels of sturdiness.

The one thing that Markins does not emulate is the elliptical ball of the Arca Swiss (I think its patented by Arca-Swiss) which prevents "ball flop" under low/mid tension.

I noticed that these ball heads can take loads way above 10kg. However, tripods such as Manfrotto's 055, 190 can only accomodate weights up to 6 and 5kg respectively. What make these ball heads so popular? Why not get a cheaper ballhead instead? Thanks in advance for your insight. :D

yeocolin said:
I noticed that these ball heads can take loads way above 10kg. However, tripods such as Manfrotto's 055, 190 can only accomodate weights up to 6 and 5kg respectively. What make these ball heads so popular? Why not get a cheaper ballhead instead? Thanks in advance for your insight. :D
Colin, this is a very good point.

When selecting a matching head for a given tripod, you have to take into the consideration the actual load capacity of the tripod itself as well as the actual weight of the head. The weight of the head is often forgotten in the equation but this needs to be factored in during the selection.

Basically, the weight of the actual head (eg. 500g) needed to be added to the max loading capacity of that head (eg. 6kg) to give you a final loading value (6.5kg). This means that the tripod itself must be able to support 6.5kg. If a 6kg max load tripod is selected to match with the above 6kg head, the system would be overloaded by 500g - the weight of the head itself!

To give you an example, here is my tripod combination:

Gitzo G2220 Explorer with 6kg max loading.
Novoflex ballhead assembly - total weight 610g with 5kg max loading.

Ballhead assembly consist of:
Novoflex Mini Magic Ball - weight 330g, 5kg max loading
Novoflex Panorama Plate - weight 170g
Q-Top Quick Release Base & Plate - weight 110g

I agree with yeocolin and SzennyBoy about the weight considerations. However, I would still recommend buying something like M10. The reasons are:

1. For the better ballheads, there are unfortunately no models out there that are of the same quality, yet much lighter and cheaper.

2. If you only can afford one ballhead, then this head can be transferred to different tripods (big or small) as required. So a ballhead that can take more weight would be able to meet most requirements.

Fair comment, jumbocrab. So long as the user understands that if using a smaller tripod, the max loading capacity of the tripod will be the limiting load and not that of the head!

Mind you, to put things into perspective... a tripod/head combo with a 5kg limit is still sufficient to support a Nikon F5 body (1.4kg) with something like the AFS 500mm f/4 IF-ED II lens (3.43kg)! ;)

I agree with you that actually 5kg is a lot already. But I guess that assumes that the mounting is well balanced: a) that the centre of gravity of the load is very near or just on top of the centroid of the tripod support, and b) the load is not too high above the apex of the tripod.

The problem comes when the CG juts too far forward or too far to the side (to take portrait shots without using the L-bracket), or the centre column is pulled too high. So having a tripod that is able to take much more than the actual load would have sufficient "headroom" to handle these situations.

Couple of Markins ballheads and plates still available at Eastgear. Hurry before stock is gone.

Hi Darren,

I am interested in the M10-2004, The only thing is that I live in Australia but will be travelling to Singapore on the 27Sep04. Can we arrange something (like holding one for me untill I get there to pick it up?) Please PM me as I am very keen to get a hold of one.

Thanks

Think all the M-10s are sold already. Didn't see any more in the display case when I dropped by Eastgear the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.