Markins Ball Head

I know nuts about the Markins ball head too....

The one I am using is from Photo Clam. The Photo Clam ball head is of high quality, and is meant to be comparable to a Markin (basically a knockoff of Markin heads, which were at one time a knockoff of Arca Swiss at a lower price). The ball control knob is microadjustable to provide the right pressure for minimal release, yet maximum control.This function is called Friction Preset. It allows you to set a minimum tension on the ball so that whatever you have mounted, at the determined minimum friction setting you can move the camera with one hand, and when you release the head will hold it in place - you don't have to un-tighten then re-tighten; basically you can move smoothly without releasing the grip from the big knob. Like Markin, it is also manufactured in Korea. See the following URL for details : http://www.tripodballhead.com/ .

A Markins M10 ballhead would cost around SGD$500+ worldwide and an I bought an equivalent, the PC-40NS, about SGD $330 at store in Hong Kong last September (2009):

http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-40N_NS.htm

I am quite happy with it.

Does any local shops carry this Photo Clam brand?

Hi all, do you have any other good advice?
I would be all ears.

Thanks

Previously the first thing after i got my camera and basic lens was a good tripod and a good ballhead. ( that was after heeding the advices of forumers ) And it is still serving me so well i got no chance to change to something else :bsmilie:

Not marketting for any pdts in particular, but just a general statement

ryan

Same experience here! Though some may think going Markins may sound like overkill... but for me - it means never have to worry for a looooooong time (until I move up to FF or much heavier set up that is)...

Same experience here! Though some may think going Markins may sound like overkill... but for me - it means never have to worry for a looooooong time (until I move up to FF or much heavier set up that is)...

lol me too.

Choice of Markin Q10 and Q3T with Manfrotto CX055PRO4
I choose M10 later as I find that the mounting base is quite huge for Q3T and would leave expose base as the head is smaller in size.

Anyway, have been loving them after that. :bsmilie:

I'm also using a Markins Q3T with a 190CXPRO3, together with the customised plate from Markins. The setup works like a dream!

Markins are not cheap, but I feel that if you do decide to get one, you won't have to worry or think about other ballheads for many many years. It's a very well-made product and when you try it you'll know

The metal ball from Markins is smooooooth as a well maintained cue ball, yet when you tighten it into a fixed position - it is VERY tight - won't budge even if you try to manhandle it to move. I don't think Photoclam ones are as smooth (personally been to SLR Rev and K13 to view them myself). The finish is truly exceptional and fine.

Edit: not saying Photoclam ones are not good - I think they can do the job equally well. My views are on the finish of the Markins ballhead - subjected to personal preference no doubt. Adviced to go take a look at both Markins and Photoclams to judge for yourself. Both at good products.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you for all your feedback. Now its time to check budget. Markins is the way man. Thnaks

Ok, well said.
Reason for not bring Sirul into this discussion is because i know a little bit more about Sirul.
John 3:16 did a great job explaining to me.
Now, i have to start thinking if i should get Manfotto 498RC4 head.
It does save me 720 which is 200 cheaper.
Anyone knows if Manfotto 498RC4 can support 70 - 200 f2.8.

Thnaks again.

So what did John 3:16 tell you about Sirui?