Marketing phone calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prismatic

Feb 25, 2003
In the void.
Visit site
Wonder if anyone else here who received these calls on their mobile recently.

I've been getting calls that will ring only once or twice, then hung up. When I
dial back the number later, I will get either

1) a recorded message for some 1800 phone chatline service.

or

2) a recorded message about the number being redirected to a 1800 number.

Are they actually allowed to do their marketing like that? Or is it some scam?

actually, its a miss call that you return the call

but why worry, its 1800

what if it was directed to a 1900 line? :think: who pays?

Some wankers used to do that using international numbers once, when the user called back he'd be charged with insane overseas + toll fees. Same tactic, ring once or twice then hang up. Even got reported in the newspapers :)

My advice is check your caller ID and if you don't recognise the number, or it isn't a Singapore residential or mobile number, don't call back.

Some wankers used to do that using international numbers once, when the user called back he'd be charged with insane overseas + toll fees. Same tactic, ring once or twice then hang up. Even got reported in the newspapers :)

My advice is check your caller ID and if you don't recognise the number, or it isn't a Singapore residential or mobile number, don't call back.

But that's exactly it, the numbers that showed up are Singaporean numbers. Sometimes when I call back a bit later, I will get the number is not in use message, even if it's a residential/commercial line.

but they dun earn from it.

But that's exactly it, the numbers that showed up are Singaporean numbers. Sometimes when I call back a bit later, I will get the number is not in use message, even if it's a residential/commercial line.

are you sure? its not possible, how to change the number when its control by the local telco.

If I knew what they are doing, I wouldn't be posting in the first place right? :dunno:

I was really ticked off about 2 weeks ago, when I received such a call overseas and had
to make a roaming call back just to hear some marketing pitch on the phone.

I recently had someone from ABN AMRO phone me on my mobile and then offering me two credit cards. When I told them I didn't want them the woman got pushy so I got pushy back. I asked her how she got my number and she said they just pick numbers at random. Bullsht. Somehow she knew my name so I am wondering who sold my moble phone info to that marketing company.

Also had someone phone me asking whether or not I had ever taken a cruise from Singapore and then asked for my salary info. My reply ended with OFF.

I recently had someone from ABN AMRO phone me on my mobile and then offering me two credit cards. When I told them I didn't want them the woman got pushy so I got pushy back. I asked her how she got my number and she said they just pick numbers at random. Bullsht. Somehow she knew my name so I am wondering who sold my moble phone info to that marketing company.

likewise, had a call just last week from ABN AMRO and the other party addressed me by name.. but i just cut the other person off by saying "NOT interested" even before she got to the credit cards part.. :bsmilie:

i am also left wondering where did these people got my name and number :sticktong

if its important, they will call back.
simple as that :)

Bro, it doesn't always work like that one. What's important now maybe not be important later liao. And then are you important enough for them to call back? If I was in sales, I will lose a lot of casual business like that one.

And about Citibank, they have strange telemarketers too lah. When I was still in uni a while back, they keep asking me to apply for ReadyCredit every few weeks. Told them I don't meet the salary requirements liao, but they keep coming back. Maybe I'm really ignorant, there are really so many uni students earning 30K while still in school ah?

some can even ask me "WHY YOU DUN WANT>>>ARE YOU SURE?" :bigeyes:

what if it was directed to a 1900 line? :think: who pays?

Its in the license agreement on operating chatlines in singapore (not sure for foreign chatlines) that the charging must not start right away, and every call must start with pre-recorded introduction to explain something like "......Callers must be at least 18 years of age or calling with parental consent. Each call is charged at $x.xx per min/sec......". So if you hang up within that duration, there won't be any charges. Can't remember how long is that duration, probably around 15-20 seconds. Got this information from friends who is operating a chatline business in singapore.

Somehow she knew my name so I am wondering who sold my moble phone info to that marketing company.

just think carefully who have your number, can narrow down already.

Status
Not open for further replies.