Status
Not open for further replies.

seankyh

Nov 30, 2004
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi all,

I get calls from ABNAmro and HSBC at least twice every month. I really
do not wish to be asked if I want a credit card, especially since I'm overseas and have to pay for roaming. I have repeatedly requested that they remove my name from their list for good but this has not had any results.

And then recently I get calls asking me if I speak Chinese. I don't know what they are trying to sell me but thank God I don't speak Chinese!!

Is there some central body to contact to make this request so that I can be removed from all marketing call lists? Really find it irritating though I try my best to be polite to the calling party since they are just doing their jobs.

The speak "chinese" thing is a scam, one of those "you've won lottery, please deposit $ to collect" thingie.

Go HWZ and do a search, you'll find it under EDMW.

The gal who called me on saturday used displayed +8551111 on my mobile. Asking if I speak chinese... I replied "No" in chinese and hung up. Hahaha.

Just slam the phone for calls you're not willing to take, or like me, keep asking "Sorry, can you repeat again?" after every 2 sentences or so.

The speak "chinese" thing is a scam, one of those "you've won lottery, please deposit $ to collect" thingie.

Go HWZ and do a search, you'll find it under EDMW.

The gal who called me on saturday used displayed +8551111 on my mobile. Asking if I speak chinese... I replied "No" in chinese and hung up. Hahaha.

Just slam the phone for calls you're not willing to take, or like me, keep asking "Sorry, can you repeat again?" after every 2 sentences or so.

wah wazzup5 - fifth incarnation leow ah? :sweat:

Yah sometimes I feel like doing all that. But don't have the heart to do it. But sometimes I feel very angry because I'm overseas and they keep calling.

The Chinese scam thing you mentioned is quite scary. I wonder how they got my number in the first place.

wah wazzup5 - fifth incarnation leow ah? :sweat:

Yah sometimes I feel like doing all that. But don't have the heart to do it. But sometimes I feel very angry because I'm overseas and they keep calling.

The Chinese scam thing you mentioned is quite scary. I wonder how they got my number in the first place.

Beats me, I never give out my numbers along the road even if I'm filling up survey forms, they must have gone dialing in numbers by adding +1 to the numbers and hope for connection tone?

Anyway, why would somebody call you and ask if you speak chinese, ain't that fishy? Somemore strike lottery strike until china there? Amusing. I don't remember filling up Tibet survey forms earlier this year while I was there, neither did I drop my namecards around Mt Everest :bsmilie:

I normally get calls like "This is xxx from yyy coy, doing a survey, need you to answer a few questions, 1)...." before I can even answer I want to answer or not they just shove the questions straight into my ears, I always go "wait, which company you say you are from again?", once they reply, I say, "not interested" and hang up.

The following is the conversation between my Dad and this Marketing Scam.

Dad: Hello
Marketeer: Hello. Congratulations! You have won our Grand Prize of 1 Week China Tour! Can I have your name please?

Dad: Errr... may name is Chen Shui Bian
Marketeer: Chen Shui Bian? As in the Chen Shui Bian in Taiwan?

Dad: Same name only.
Marketeer: Oh ok. Can I have your address please?

Dad: Jiang Yu Road (Ikan Billi Road)
Marketeer: Which Jiang Yu? How do you write those?

Dad: Jiang as in River... Yu as in Fish...

Marketeer sense something wrong. Quickly hang up.

This happened a few weeks back and the conversation was in chinese. The caller is a china lady.

;)

He was. Anyway the lady called him again last week to confirm that he is Chen Shui Bian. I took over the phone and told her that Chen Shui Bian has left the house and Xiao Mah Ge moved in.

:think: Cruel jokes on a poor Swine.

The following is the conversation between my Dad and this Marketing Scam.

Dad: Hello
Marketeer: Hello. Congratulations! You have won our Grand Prize of 1 Week China Tour! Can I have your name please?

Dad: Errr... may name is Chen Shui Bian
Marketeer: Chen Shui Bian? As in the Chen Shui Bian in Taiwan?

Dad: Same name only.
Marketeer: Oh ok. Can I have your address please?

Dad: Jiang Yu Road (Ikan Billi Road)
Marketeer: Which Jiang Yu? How do you write those?

Dad: Jiang as in River... Yu as in Fish...

Marketeer sense something wrong. Quickly hang up.

This happened a few weeks back and the conversation was in chinese. The caller is a china lady.

;)
Amazing thing is that you won the prize and yet they don't know your name. Hehe. MARVELLOUS.

Amazing thing is that you won the prize and yet they don't know your name. Hehe. MARVELLOUS.

That is the recent China Prize Scam. Luckily my Dad was quick enough to realise that. Either that or he is just bored from watching TV at home. ;p

That is the recent China Prize Scam. Luckily my Dad was quick enough to realise that. Either that or he is just bored from watching TV at home. ;p
I was busy with my PSP in the car, else I would have played along and bringing the caller on a merry-go-round.

I get a lot of these calls and its always din work when i told them i wasn't interested and asked them to take my name out from the list.. I still get those calls very often..

So the last time the credit card telemarketers called me..i decided to find out what she has to say.. :) I let her say all she want about the credit card..(obviously she has a script for it and its monotonous reciting of the script) .. when she asked for my details and income, I told her i am still schooling and not earning anything..she immediately said "thank you for your time" and hang up.. :cry:

I get a lot of these calls and its always din work when i told them i wasn't interested and asked them to take my name out from the list.. I still get those calls very often..

So the last time the credit card telemarketers called me..i decided to find out what she has to say.. :) I let her say all she want about the credit card..(obviously she has a script for it and its monotonous reciting of the script) .. when she asked for my details and income, I told her i am still schooling and not earning anything..she immediately said "thank you for your time" and hang up.. :cry:

LOL. to them time is money. They rather spend time working on the Potentials than students. In your case, they are at least polite enough to thank you for your time before hanging up.

There are instances where these telemarketeers hang up straight away... Some even bother to scold you for taking up their time. :angry:

I have also asked to be taken off the list but DBS/ABN/SC still phone me up to offer me credit. Today the lady from SC asked me "just to try" their credit offer like getting in debt is like eating pizza. I give them a two-minute lecture on the sub-prime fiasco and ask them to stop calling me. Doubt it will stop.

My calls are always from Citibank and SC. Especially Citi, they have been calling since my uni days trying to get me on their ReadyCredit scheme.

Thanks for the entertaining stories of woe :bsmilie:

I just wished there was a way for us to opt out of any marketing calls. There must be some organization that we can rely on surely? I'm not going to place my bets on CASE here though.. Isn't there a legal entity that we can appeal to?

Nope, they must have gotten a list of handphone numbers that are in use in Singapore by all providers and call according to that list. Nothing we can do. I just hate the calls because it wastes my airtime and makes me stop whatever I'm doing to entertain idiots who claim I won prizes but do not know who I am.

The next person to tell me I won a prize in xxxx contest, I will reply "It's ok, I'm a multi-millionaire, you can donate the prize to charity".

Idiots.

Also receive calls from ABN Amro for what credit card health shield insurance, etc, blah blah.

Nope, they must have gotten a list of handphone numbers that are in use in Singapore by all providers and call according to that list. Nothing we can do. I just hate the calls because it wastes my airtime and makes me stop whatever I'm doing to entertain idiots who claim I won prizes but do not know who I am.

The next person to tell me I won a prize in xxxx contest, I will reply "It's ok, I'm a multi-millionaire, you can donate the prize to charity".

Idiots.

Also receive calls from ABN Amro for what credit card health shield insurance, etc, blah blah.

Ya lor. I really want to know where ABN Amro, a reputable bank, is getting my number from!!! I really cannot take it anymore.

My calls are always from Citibank and SC. Especially Citi, they have been calling since my uni days trying to get me on their ReadyCredit scheme.

I remember last time I was a student on attachment w a company. Doing a survey and left my name and contact for CitiBxxx to call back. They called back but it was a marketeer for credit card on the line ...

First thing he said was like

"Hello Mr (me). We know that you are one of the youngest professionals in Singapore and ..... ..... .... <crap> ..."

I was amazed boy ... after letting him go for half an hour, finally (my knock off timing), I told him that I was a student on attachment .... he muttered something under his breathe and then hang up ....

I NEVER have a good impression of CitiBxxx from then on ... wat kind of marketing ...

:bsmilie: yesterday ABNAmro called. Just now after lunch HSBC called :rolleyes:

You see?? This is the kind of irritating thing that we have to put up with. Funny enough I'm okay with the Chinese scam because that is kind of expected and you can tell them to f off but the reputable banks are the ones that are calling us non stop! And they are getting our contacts from unknown sources. This is something I am not expecting a bank to do. We should have the right to opt out or they must disclose the source of their contacts.

But I am thinking of getting another credit card but it is with UOB. Seems to be a lot of promotions going on. Even Shell petrol got discount...

Status
Not open for further replies.