Market rate for Malay Wedding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixednutzmedia

Oct 20, 2008
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
How much a market rate for a malay wedding+ sticky album + custom book (various Size)+ potrait???
and what time should i start and finish:confused:

How much a market rate for a malay wedding+ sticky album + custom book (various Size)+ potrait???

You have to ask the bride and groom what time they want to solemnize, then how many outfits they going to change after solemnization. That is day 1.

For day 2, what time they wnat to start and what time they want to finish, and whether bride will go to groom side or having the makan at one venue only.

As for the price, how many 4R in the sticky album? Most important is the 4R how many pieces, 200, 300?

Rough giude is from 1.2K and above. Because if just 4R alone they will bargain to around $400 to $500 for the 2 days service as all in price. Please consider this carefully before u priced your package. Most of them are comfortable when you go by conventional way of 36 per roll even though in this digital age.

That's how I survive till now from the 80s era.

thanks bro for the info
but how much to charge for the custom book/ story book???
do you have any idea where to make the custom book?
where usually print the pics?
and where to make the potrait

thanks bro for the info
but how much to charge for the custom book/ story book???
do you have any idea where to make the custom book?
where usually print the pics?
and where to make the potrait

call this shop named iPhoto and liiko for jeffry 62642986

they do canvas frames portrait mounting as well as custom books, better still if you can go down to the shop at taman jurong shopping ctr next to the mosque in taman jurong. mrt to lake side n feeder bus 240 at bus stop same side as mrt. I think it should be 4-5 bustops away.
this shop prints alot of malay and chinese, others AD photos. can go there and sample.

best luck.

nazli:);)

Are you working freelance or fulltime ?. I usually charge ard 2.5k for the two days but with extra photogs depending on attendance of relatives and with a free non edited videography just the important scenes during akad nikah and arrival/departure. Chinese weddings for $250 p/h per photog.Usually i work with a team every photoog has his/her own composition and the final results are usually awesome/unique.

If professional videography is needed that's additional 1.5k with editing . Most cases i just rent them video cameras and let them use if they are on a budget.

Nazli is right abt when the clients would nego to $400-$500 for the two days. Always try not to ruin the market just to have a job.Why settle for less.If its going to be a job get paid for it and not scrap for it or else its not worth doing. :).

Me thinks we need a malay wedding photographers association as so we can have a standard of a certain level in this situations.Once a member.. verified pro with cert after a certain standard of qualification set by the association and the proper fees to be paid for the job.

Not a member let them haggle and charge cheap and get bad shots/moments to be remembered for life to show the kids later in that once in a lifetime wedding day.

Are you working freelance or fulltime ?. I usually charge ard 2.5k for the two days but with extra photogs depending on attendance of relatives and with a free non edited videography just the important scenes during akad nikah and arrival/departure. Chinese weddings for $250 p/h per photog.Usually i work with a team every photoog has his/her own composition and the final results are usually awesome/unique.

If professional videography is needed that's additional 1.5k with editing . Most cases i just rent them video cameras and let them use if they are on a budget.

Nazli is right abt when the clients would nego to $400-$500 for the two days. Always try not to ruin the market just to have a job.Why settle for less.If its going to be a job get paid for it and not scrap for it or else its not worth doing. :).

Me thinks we need a malay wedding photographers association as so we can have a standard of a certain level in this situations.Once a member.. verified pro with cert after a certain standard of qualification set by the association and the proper fees to be paid for the job.

Not a member let them haggle and charge cheap and get bad shots/moments to be remembered for life to show the kids later in that once in a lifetime wedding day.

we should and should not have an association.

i have never done a professional or total coverage of weddings in general, just as kaypoh photographer who gets tips from the main photographers. However, my shots are not exactly good nor bad. they fit right in, and i do get good feedbacks from the couples as I too develop my shots into photobooks and give to them.

What you need to remember as photographer for malay weddings if you're not so sure

1) studio shots
2) akad nikah/solemnisation
3) sanding

i know some couples prefer studio shots before the solemnisation, as they want their pictures displayed on guestbook, all framed up to show everyone.

but there are couples who prefer it to be AFTER the whole event.

take this example of my friend. his studio shot is exactly after the whole sanding. ends at 5pm and then go studio to shoot.

a cousin of mine though, tkaes her studio shots at home, photographer brings backdrop etc .

and my gf's friend who got married, had their studio photos shot 2days before everything so they can display their picture on their guestbook, framed up.

you have got to ask them(the couple) what they looking for and what they want. if you're confident, charge for the whole event if not charge by the hour. the various photographers i met charge differently. my friend's photographer charged by hour while my cousin's charged by the event. standardly, most give out 36-40 pictures on albums. the rest are in CD format, medium resolution with no editing. for me, i gave my cousin 20pictures and friend 36shots. i printed mine at just1book. not that bad

the rates really fluctuates. i'm confused myself on how to charge. so what's the the market rates of 2 days (Sat night - nikah or dinner, Sun - sanding)? say u give 200 x 4R in an album, 2 blown up? Abang TS, my apologies if i hijack ur thread sir...

I am also from the per roll era! Charging by the hour sounds unfair. I remember how the Mak Andam would spend 30 minutes doing up the bride while we were fed like nobody's business while waiting. The shoot itself would last no longer than 5-10 minutes and back in went the bride. I rembered this real crazy couple who got close to 20 costumes. Make the calculations yourself. I ended up home at about 3 in the morning, then had to come back again at 10 the next day. If we charge by the hour... WOW! Unless the timings are based on the time we actually shoot. Like that very difficult to calculate lah. Must have special timer!
I have stayed clear of this business many years ago. Stick to taking cousins and other close relatives. Its like my contribution to the wedding event!
My $0.02 worth...

HI guys!

Perhaps u can join the Singapore Malay photography forum here

www.kliqueimages.com

there are about 500 of us there and a percentage of them do wedding professionally.

I charge based on per hour. Regardless I shoot or not, its the service, quality and professionalism that I give for the price that I set. and time is money. If I have to wait 2 hours for the make up to be ready, my opportunity costs of waiting will have to be compensated. So for D100s comments, those were the days... which no longer apply these days.

Of cos, we have to deliver the 300 4R prints or what ever your package is. But that does not mean I restrict to only 300 shuttercount.

I charge $100 per hour for weddings and I still have clients bookings all the way till 2010, so there are many clients out there that believe in value for money.

For Num3ga suggestions, I think there are some interests to start an association but if u want certification, might as well go create a WSQ (under WDA) for some kind of standisation, IT will be a long painful pregnancy as u have to buy-in the industry big boys first.

Last edited:
HI guys!

Perhaps u can join the Singapore Malay photography forum here

www.kliqueimages.com

there are about 500 of us there and a percentage of them do wedding professionally.

I charge based on per hour. Regardless I shoot or not, its the service, quality and professionalism that I give for the price that I set. and time is money. If I have to wait 2 hours for the make up to be ready, my opportunity costs of waiting will have to be compensated. So for D100s comments, those were the days... which no longer apply these days.

Of cos, we have to deliver the 300 4R prints or what ever your package is. But that does not mean I restrict to only 300 shuttercount.

I charge $100 per hour for weddings and I still have clients bookings all the way till 2010, so there are many clients out there that believe in value for money.

For Num3ga suggestions, I think there are some interests to start an association but if u want certification, might as well go create a WSQ (under WDA) for some kind of standisation, IT will be a long painful pregnancy as u have to buy-in the industry big boys first.

Curious... for rate for Malay Wedding does it include DI, or you just give them what you take? :think:

M lah :). Did we ever had a pool of how many Malay wedding Photogs that lives here in CS?

There are no hard and fast rules but the malay wedding usually encompass pertunangan, akad nikah, majlis berinai, bersanding (twice - once for the groom & once for the bride usually) and the night reception where the cake cutting ceremony is held.

The number of hours & days required to cover the entire event is rather time consuming.

The time factor to calculate the pricing perhaps could be based on a 4 hours basis per session just like in the chinese wedding? With discounts for taking up several sessions?

Originally Posted by eejal View Post

he's one of the 'big guns' hor....

I salute!

eejal is a peminat[fan] lah thus the pujian [praise] . No wrong with support hehehehe

Last edited:
eejal is a peminat[fan] lah thus the pujian [praise] . No wrong with support hehehehe

yes yes...i am one of his fans :bsmilie:

in fact i a fan of all photos taken by anyone....:heart:

i'm just someone who likes to see photos taken by anyone...:thumbsup:

So... how about the market rates again? :sticktong

Just charge by the hour. Dont forget to charge extra hour fee too. How much? Boils down to how you value your work. Finally, wats the diff, if its a malay or other types of wedding. A fix rate will enable quote yur client easily. And charging per hour is more practical now adays. Its just like you go to work and your employer pay you by the hour.

Malay wedding:

Nikah: 4 hrs
Sanding: 6 hrs

The above hours includes the getting ready shots.

Charge xtra hour if they exceed the total given hours in your package.

Status
Not open for further replies.