Market Rate for images for magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsbits

Feb 13, 2005
HooKit Hwatok
I would like to find out the following if some good samaritian will be so kind to point me in the right direction.

1. Does anybody have a good idea of what is current the market rate for photos that will be used in an article in let's say a prestigious magazine that's tailored for the rich and famous?

Let's say 5 images used in an article.

2. What's the going rate for a magazine "Cover photo"

3. Image licence for a one time print run of about 1000 copies.

All images in questions are assumed to be at least 3000 px on the longest side and 300 dpi.

Thank you very much for your time. Your information is much appreciated.

Itsbits said:

:dunno: :dunno:

If you post a thread "I sold my photo for $12 to XYZ mag"

Atleast 50 new thread will complain that you are spoiling the market. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:dunno:

how much is your time and effort worth?
how much would it cost the magazine to use stock photos?

5 photos? say $500 lor cheap already
good stock photos will cost more and in US$

ortega said:

funny how you should say that - microstock - US$2 per photo. Dam good money if you're a near spirit.

how much are they offering you ? Ehehhe asking people to show their first before you show yours ???

ortega said:

Its more of an event reportage picture...

I gather 100 per pic is in the middle range then? They won't use stock because it doesn't reflect the actual event properly... or so i think

ellery said:
funny how you should say that - microstock - US$2 per photo. Dam good money if you're a near spirit.

how much are they offering you ? Ehehhe asking people to show their first before you show yours ???

I presume the latter is meant for me..

They asked if they can have it for free.. din offer

Itsbits said:
I presume the latter is meant for me..

They asked if they can have it for free.. din offer

I'd assume if you asked for payment then the interest would drop in direct proportion to the amount. Magazines are not know to want to pay for photos. Unless yours a prapazzi type photo of David Becxxxx in sxxxxxxl congress with a SGPG/girlboy/another player. Last I hear some one got $30 bucks for a picture a car that caught fire in a hdb car park - the shooter was sooo grateful for the $30 and the promise of a credit line. He got the $30 but not the credit line which went to their staff photog but got a so sincere on the phone sorry lah. You could ask pluck a figure from the air multiple that by at least 2 times.

Itsbits said:
Its more of an event reportage picture...

I gather 100 per pic is in the middle range then? They won't use stock because it doesn't reflect the actual event properly... or so i think

If its for a prestigous magazine $100 per photo seems rather cheap.

if no one else has the photo that they want then the price increases

so it depends on how bad they want to photo

a really crappy photo (bad exposure/framing/no composition/OOF) of
some celeb doing bad things which no one else took is worth a lot of money
if sold to the right magazine

editorial rate here in general is about $300 upwards for half-day rate and $600 upwards for full date rate. Cover photos vary, some of the magazines pay very very little for covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.