Market Price charged for doing portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybaby

Dec 1, 2005
Hi guys,

I am an amateur photographer who learns from magazine and try-outs at events. Recently at an event which i had been the "unofficial" photographer :) there was someone who liked the photos i took for him and asked me whether i can do some portrait shoot for him.

Having never done it for money or professionally, i was wondering the charges that you propose to your clients, for those who have done portrait shooting? And how would you negotiate the charges? To be precise this guy need some sorta cover photos, like the one u see on an actor portfolio etc. Being an amateur photographer i don't own a studio, so i am lost on how to even evaluate on the charges to be proposed.

Hope you experts & "sifu"s out there, pls pls advice & feel free to share your stories & experience when you just started out as photographers who charge for your work. I think this will benefit a lot other photographers who want to go into this path.

Thank you very much in advance!!
David

heh, good thing you didnt offer to do it for free...

there really is no standard market rate for portraiture. some places will charge exorbitant amounts, some maybe a couple of hundred.

doesnt even have anything to do with your skill... ive seen really crap photographers charge a lot of money for photos that really weren't worth it.

so i really dont think its worth asking here.

just charge a figure that you feel is commensurate for the time that you will spend, for your level of experience and something that will leave neither him or you feeling cheated.

if he doesnt like that figure, dont sell yourself short.

jdredd said:
heh, good thing you didnt offer to do it for free...

there really is no standard market rate for portraiture. some places will charge exorbitant amounts, some maybe a couple of hundred.

doesnt even have anything to do with your skill... ive seen really crap photographers charge a lot of money for photos that really weren't worth it.

so i really dont think its worth asking here.

just charge a figure that you feel is commensurate for the time that you will spend, for your level of experience and something that will leave neither him or you feeling cheated.

if he doesnt like that figure, dont sell yourself short.

Thks a lot jdredd.. those are some good advices... it's just that i've never thought of having someone who'd like me to photograph him/her as a pro. this may have something to do with level of confidence. But i think i'll give it a try & the payment might not be the first and foremost thing in my case since it's my first paid so-called assignment :) it's the experience that counts for me i guess this time round.

actually i have taken tonnes of photos during that event which i was a part of, and some of the ppl asked me if they can use some of those photos in their local newspapers (those ppl are foreigners). i said yes, but some of my friends in the event told me that i could've and should've charge for those photos. But since i am just the "unofficial" photgrapher, which means that i just go around taking photos with my camera & without total consent from the organiser, so i am afraid if i charge them for those photos i might get into trouble .. Well maybe it's time to get serious with this photography hobby :)

thks again jdredd.

-David

I have just going freelance myself after building up a small portfolio. What jdredd said is very true. You shloud charge what you feel you can do and wieght it against the time you spend. I made the mistake of underestimating the time factor now so keep in mind it includes the whole workflow form raw processing and editgin to the prints and posibly delivery. It would help if you draft some kind of contract stating terms and conditions (esp number of pics.. expectd date of completetion and how and when you want to be paid.)

Status
Not open for further replies.