Marina Bay Sands

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition, picture quality

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- Trying to capture a very common photo of MBS, from possibly some similar angle but with some different perspective, especially the bridge leading to the MBS

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
- On tripod, ISO 100, f11, for 15 secs

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
- Well, hear from people here will be interesting...

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition, picture quality

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- Trying to capture a very common photo of MBS, from possibly some similar angle but with some different perspective, especially the bridge leading to the MBS

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
- On tripod, ISO 100, f11, for 15 secs

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
- Well, hear from people here will be interesting...

I think it looks quite appealing. I like the positioning of the start of the bridge on the left of the photo. It sits nicely and leads the viewers eye straight into the photo.

I think you could have waited for an occasion without the people on the bridge so that you can get a cleaner shot. Or you could blend it with another shot without the people using photoshop.

I'm curious why you didn't go down to ISO50 which then enable you to get a 30 sec exposure and then not be bothered by ghosting images of ppl walking.

Nice photo though!

Last edited:
Didn't use ISO50 is because the quality will "degrades" ? Correct me if I'm not wrong as ISO(50) is expanded mode.
Otherwise please educate...

Must admit was in a bit of rush trying to snap many shots that night! Poor excuse must say... but good comments which I agree ... shoot better and less/no photoshop later...

Didn't use ISO50 is because the quality will "degrades" ? Correct me if I'm not wrong as ISO(50) is expanded mode.
Otherwise please educate...

Must admit was in a bit of rush trying to snap many shots that night! Poor excuse must say... but good comments which I agree ... shoot better and less/no photoshop later...

It never occurred to me that ISO 50 would actually degrade the image.

Not sure about the iso50 degrading quality. My most recent long exposure shot was also taken at ISO 50 @ 126s using a 6d without any apparent loss in quality or extra noise.

But what you said did piqué my curiosity.

And a check on the canon forums about the ISO50 on the 5dm3 suggests that different users experience diff things. Some say its ok. And others say it's noisy at 100% crop. So I guess there could be some truth to it. Thanks for sharing!

Different cameras have different base ISOs, most of them are 100, several are 200 and also a handful at 50. Try to shoot at base ISO, RAW whenever you can, this is where you get the maximum dynamic range that the sensor can offer. Slap on a ND filter if required to get down to 30 secs exposure or even bulb mode. Image is nice and sharp, contrast could have been boosted a bit more and gamma reduced in photoshop. Nice shot :)