Marina Barrage @ Dusk

piper85

Oct 13, 2009
DSC_0365-1.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition & exposure

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To capture the city at sunset

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The picture was taken at the barrage at sunset around 6pm. On a Monopod.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think the composition can be improved but don't know what is it. I'm not too sure but is the colour/contrast not enough? Please do give some advice/comments. Thanks ;)

To begin, the left side is a little messy and heavy with too many elements.
Cropping it out might help alot... Depends on what you like....

if you crop paranomically, you get no reflection but a cleaner image,

if you crop out the left you get an almost square image, which isn't too bad either. Can print on square canvas. Hehe.

I think one problem is that the feeling I get is that you might have too many interesting elements all over the place... you like the ferris wheel, the water reflections, the bright sunset on the right side.... no matter how you crop, you're gonna crop something away and you might not like that.

You gotta make up yr mind what you want to keep or try a few cropping to see. The current composition like I mention has other distracting elements located just beside those interesting elements, making it "neither here nor there".

Way too many things going on here, especially on the left.
The IR is cropped out on the left --> :nono:

Think you should crop this as a panorama, focusing on the flyer and surrounding buildings.

How come you are shooting at F4, 1/800?
1) Image is not that sharp, see the MBS and the person at the bottom left. try at F9 -F13
2) Bring a tripod along
3) Timing and lights are good.
4) Composition is not so good, as others have pointed out. Cropping out MBS halfways is a no no, and the left side is too busy. Try focusing on either the flyer or MBS. Remember less is more
5) Horizon is just slightly tilted, but can be fixed easily

I think one problem is that the feeling I get is that you might have too many interesting elements all over the place... you like the ferris wheel, the water reflections, the bright sunset on the right side.... no matter how you crop, you're gonna crop something away and you might not like that.
- yes. Think you're right. I want to capture too many things at one time.

How come you are shooting at F4, 1/800?
1) Image is not that sharp, see the MBS and the person at the bottom left. try at F9 -F13
2) Bring a tripod along
3) Timing and lights are good.
4) Composition is not so good, as others have pointed out. Cropping out MBS halfways is a no no, and the left side is too busy. Try focusing on either the flyer or MBS. Remember less is more
5) Horizon is just slightly tilted, but can be fixed easily

1) I'm shooting with D90 with 18-105mm lens
2) Noted and agreed.
3) I did some pp on the photo.
4) Noted. Good advice. Will keep that in mind. Less is more. :)
5) Will take the shot again with a tripod.

Thanks for all advice. :)

great timing, like the washed-out tone... if you want to cut some detail you might try underexposing slightly?

Maybe try out some Tianya sunset squares ?