Marathon shooting - What need to be prepared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDavis

Mar 15, 2004
Bedok
Hi Lumixers,

I am preparing myself to go on a trip to K.L. with a few friends (marathon runners) for photo shooting when they run like hell.

When I come to think about it, how can I maximize my opportunity when I am there in order to take sufficient good photo, at the same time, have enough time to prepare myself to wait for the runners coming to various stages?

Should I stay at just one stage(which I find that it is rather not practical)?

Can someone who is experience enough enlighten me, pls?

Hmm.... perhaps the seasoned sports photog can help you. Wonder there's any in CS!
Anyway, Jia Yu........ Take home nice pics ok? :sweatsm:

i remember seeing news on tv where the camera man running along side with the runners to take shots.... so u gonna do that?! ;) ha ha

i am confident u can do it man! go for it! :thumbsup:

go and research the route. try to go through the place at least 2 times if you can. see if the route is -

1. a point to point route.
2. loop course
3. out and back course.

knowing the route, you may be able to cut across to the other side of the race course to take photos for your friends. but then of course, there is no promise by being able to be present at different sections of the course, you'll be able to get good photos - due to lighting etc. you HAVE to know the course before you can find spots to take shots from.

personally, i was on my bicycle when i tried to take photos for my running pals at the local marathon last december. depending on organizers, and how tight they are with securing the route, you may or may not be able to cycle along/near the route to take more photos of your friends. i was lucky to be able to do so last year.

sehsuan said:
go and research the route. try to go through the place at least 2 times if you can. see if the route is -

1. a point to point route.
2. loop course
3. out and back course.

knowing the route, you may be able to cut across to the other side of the race course to take photos for your friends. but then of course, there is no promise by being able to be present at different sections of the course, you'll be able to get good photos - due to lighting etc. you HAVE to know the course before you can find spots to take shots from.

personally, i was on my bicycle when i tried to take photos for my running pals at the local marathon last december. depending on organizers, and how tight they are with securing the route, you may or may not be able to cycle along/near the route to take more photos of your friends. i was lucky to be able to do so last year.

Thanks for your pointers, they are indeed good pointers. :)

I am planning to find out about the route, probably one day in advance, do a site survey, and plan on the night before to see how can I move around to be able to catch up with the runners.

I am certainly not any runner, so cannot run and shoot, will fall for sure.

I think I should be able to get pretty close to the runners, since I am being invited by the runners who are from Singapore, and I shall be the "photographer" from the Singapore team, politically, the organizer should be able to make some special arrangement to clear the security for me.

JimDavis said:
I am certainly not any runner, so cannot run and shoot, will fall for sure.

I think I should be able to get pretty close to the runners, since I am being invited by the runners who are from Singapore, and I shall be the "photographer" from the Singapore team, politically, the organizer should be able to make some special arrangement to clear the security for me.

dont worry, no need to thank me - thank me only if they are helpful on the actual execution on the day itself :)

i dont think i would advise nor allow any photographer to have priority in the race - after all, there has to be safety measures. do take note, however, that early in the race, most of the runners WILL be bunched up together, so you'd have to seek out a few faces out of maybe, 3000 to 5000 people - not easy. you'll have better luck with stops at 10+K onwards.

sehsuan said:
dont worry, no need to thank me - thank me only if they are helpful on the actual execution on the day itself :)

i dont think i would advise nor allow any photographer to have priority in the race - after all, there has to be safety measures. do take note, however, that early in the race, most of the runners WILL be bunched up together, so you'd have to seek out a few faces out of maybe, 3000 to 5000 people - not easy. you'll have better luck with stops at 10+K onwards.

Noted. I shall discuss with the runners and probably the organiser from the Singapore team, and see how can we achieve what I want to achieve.

I think I will need to have either a bicycle or a bike, and probably to clear my way outside for the first 10K and so on. Now that I start to realize and appreciate how tough it is to plan and organize such shooting event.

i parked myself at the 17k mark of last year's local marathon, and started shooting when i spotted my friends. by that distance, the slower and faster runners would have been separated by a LOT.

also helpful, is to find out the current timings that your friends are capable of doing, so that you can forecast what time they'll reach the spot where you are.

sehsuan said:
i parked myself at the 17k mark of last year's local marathon, and started shooting when i spotted my friends. by that distance, the slower and faster runners would have been separated by a LOT.

also helpful, is to find out the current timings that your friends are capable of doing, so that you can forecast what time they'll reach the spot where you are.

Ok...really thanks for sharing.

I guess my aim is not just only to shoot my friends, but anything and everything during that event, as long as it is meaningful, and give me a rich picture, I will go for it! :)

Anyway, my friends are still not very fast runners, I am sure I can capture them on time. I just want to capture some of the earlier birds, particularly those who are competing neck to neck.

JimDavis said:
I just want to capture some of the earlier birds, particularly those who are competing neck to neck.

dont forget your friends ;)

btw, it's "neck and neck", not "neck to neck" as commonly believed.

sehsuan said:
dont forget your friends ;)

btw, it's "neck and neck", not "neck to neck" as commonly believed.

Sure, if not they will not bring me with them next time. Hehehehe... :bsmilie:

Neck and neck har? sorry lar, not sportsman, and China-helicopter too, England no powderful lar... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.