Mapcamera in tokyo

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Hi there, is mapcamera in shinjuku a good place to buy pentax lenses?

Can anyone advise on what is 安心サービス相当額?

Please see this link below.

http://www.mapcamera.com/shopping/i...]=1&num[2222060000433]=1&num[2222060000525]=1

I sent mapcamera an enquiry no replies yet. Thank you!

Last edited:
Google translate says "Equivalent security services". Does that make any sense when you put it in context? Since it's an extra cost factored in after tax, maybe it's some sort of extra warranty...

This is a very good place to buy. Plenty of Pentax stuff available, including second hand lenses. Bought my FA31 there. I found their price much better than the other popular mega stores in Japan. If I remember correctly, they offer about 20% discount of the published list prices. No bargaining needed. Just ask for price and they quote the discounted price :cool:

That's a lot of discount! Looking at the 15mm limited and 35mm limited. Hmm I doubt they will offer 20% off though. I checked their website and they were selling used 15mm limited and 35mm limited at a higher price than the new lens with 20% discount. Which lens/lenses were u quoted such discounts?

Google translate says "Equivalent security services". Does that make any sense when you put it in context? Since it's an extra cost factored in after tax, maybe it's some sort of extra warranty...

Perhaps it's warranty, but I don't see an option to opt out of it? Or is it grey market and that is the shop warranty?

Oops my bad. It is some sort of insurance. And it can be opt out from. Good to know! Can't wait for my japan trip!

That's a lot of discount! Looking at the 15mm limited and 35mm limited. Hmm I doubt they will offer 20% off though. I checked their website and they were selling used 15mm limited and 35mm limited at a higher price than the new lens with 20% discount. Which lens/lenses were u quoted such discounts?

When I visited them last year, the 20% (or thereabouts) of recommended List Price was their normal discount for all lenses (& flash as well). Didn't ask about the bodies.

Re the used prices, the prices were only slightly less than the discounted new prices..... So no point buying.

Buying from the internet might be different.

BTW, all the other major stores like BIC & Yodobashi sell their stuff at List Price. Unless you know Japanese and/or have outstanding negotiation skills, no hope of getting any discount. If very lucky maybe 5%. Much like Best Denki here.

Btw, you can get your tax rebate for anything more than Yen10,000 at these stores on the spot, the formula they used are (Selling Price)/1.05, be sure to carry your passport with you. Anyway, 2nd hand gear are not cheap in Japan especially at the current exchange rate. Actually it is a lot worst for Canon gear. However, Pentax provides international warranty even for the camera body, you need to ask before purchase as sometime they run out of the international warranty certificate. However, when there is a promotion the gear are really cheaper than here, but timing you never know.

Though I don't usually do that, I know of many people bring hard Japanese Yen to go shop camera gear as the credit card company charge a 1% on the transacted price for foreign transaction and the bank fx rate can be quite ridiculous at time (or most of the time, you will get a rude shock when you see the bill).

Last edited:
Do Tamron offer international warranty? Thinking of getting one when i visit tokyo