Many dots in image when shooting into the sun

MachCurve

Oct 26, 2011
Hey folks, I took some photos with the d5300 facing the sun. During PP, noticed quite a few bright dots all over the image. Is this because my UV filter had dust? I didn't blow the dust off prior to shooting.

Do you have a sample of the image?

Hey folks, I took some photos with the d5300 facing the sun. During PP, noticed quite a few bright dots all over the image. Is this because my UV filter had dust? I didn't blow the dust off prior to shooting.

Even if UV filter has dust, it will not show in picture, unless the dust is very very big... when I say very very big, I mean... crazily large. And yes, please share a photo for us to better determine the source of the dots. It might be flare from the sun.

TS, please post some sample picts.. Abit hard to guess accurately. But I'm suspecting it's flare... If it's dust, usually it will be dark/black dots

Last edited:
it could also be reflection on sensor. without the shot to show, it's hard to help further.

Hi guys.

My apologies for the delay.

Here's the photo.

17159203656_41db1033f0_h.jpg

Looking forward to replies :)

It is called lens flare.

Huh? So it's not because of the UV filter or what?

It's quite an eyesore. Is there any way to avoid this?

On and the same goes for the little white transport circle at the 10'o clock position from the sun?

Yup lens flare

A UV filter may aggravate flares especially the cheaper ones

If you are pointing your camera at the sun or any bright light source you may not be able to totally avoid this. To reduce it you can:
- open up your aperture (lower f-stop)
- clone it away in post-processing
- take 2 shots - one with the sun and another with eg your finger covering the sun then blend them in post-processing
- buy a lens with better flare control ;)

Last edited:
Huh? So it's not because of the UV filter or what?

It's quite an eyesore. Is there any way to avoid this?

On and the same goes for the little white transport circle at the 10'o clock position from the sun?

It is from the reflection of the bright object within the lens elements. You can move the flare by changing your angle, and hopefully move to an angle without the flare. and if the sun is not in the frame, your chances of flare is a lot less. BTW, you can see the flare in the viewfinder, though I do not recommend looking directly at the sun in the viewfinder, you might go blind.

and yes 10 oclock circle is also flare.