Manual Mode

Huh? There is no such thing as exposure compensation in manual mode. You compensate for yourself.

Hi bro candycaine, i think you misunderstood my statement. Probably reading a little bit too fast :)

Exposure Compensation (+/-EV) does not impact the settings in manual mode, however it does impact the meter reading. EV compensation also works in Program Mode.

You can do a test, set your camera to Manual mode and set to any settings you want. Point it at a chosen scene and now start to drop/increase your EV compensation, you'll notice the meter readout changing but your settings remains. This is what i meant by the EV comp value affecting the meter but not influencing your settings in manual mode :)

Last edited:
Hello

i am currently using cannon 550D and for the past year, i have been using flash off mode, night potriat mode, etc. however, i have always wanted to learn how to use the manual mode. but i do not know how to control the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. any of you out there able to provide me with some guidence?

To make it simple think of the basic main parameters of the the camera
in simple terms then go into the details until you master these.
Apeture : Higher number results in darker pictures (also sharper pics)
Speed : Higher number Results in darker pictures (also sharper pics)
ISO : Higher number results in brighter (noisier pics at the extreme)
Flash: Brighter/closer to subject results in brighter pictures

The reverse is true.

You should just dive into it. Try it out until it becomes second nature
i.e. you will adjust according to instinct rather then going through the physics
of making it darker, brighter.........

Hi bro candycaine, i think you misunderstood my statement. Probably reading a little bit too fast :)

You can do a test, set your camera to Manual mode and set to any settings you want. Point it at a chosen scene and now start to drop/increase your EV compensation, you'll notice the meter readout changing but your settings remains. This is what i meant by the EV comp value affecting the meter but not influencing your settings in manual mode :)

No i don't think i read it too fast. I read it many times. Your explanation doesn't help.

EV compensation doesn't work in manual, fullstop. You can't drop/increase your EV compensation at all. The only way that meter is going to change is:

1. Assuming metering mode is the same, the lighting condition of whatever you choose to meter against is different

2. You change your settings and meter against the same scene.

To "use" EV in manual you have to deliberately underexpose or overexpose by using too fast or too slow a shutter speed, or too big/small an aperture, or too high/low an ISO or any combination of the above.

Furthermore you said that EV also works in P mode, which is wrong, since EV doesn't work in M.

Not on my camera anyway.

No i don't think i read it too fast. I read it many times. Your explanation doesn't help.

EV compensation doesn't work in manual, fullstop. You can't drop/increase your EV compensation at all. The only way that meter is going to change is:

No, he's right. In other modes, EV compensation will change your settings, in M mode, it will only change the meter reading, and you can then adjust the settings to match.

No, he's right. In other modes, EV compensation will change your settings, in M mode, it will only change the meter reading, and you can then adjust the settings to match.

Thanks bro Rashkae for the clarification. :) I've been trying hard to explain. :sweat:

EV compensation not applicable in M model leh.

Please read your manuals...

Are you sure? I can't even activate EV on my camera in manual mode. In M mode, the EV indicator changes with different meter readings, and I can adjust the settings to match. But EV compensation?

Please read your manuals...

Sorry, I don't get what is going on.

M mode just gives you the metering.

If there is nothing to compensate in manual mode since you decide the ISO, aperture, shutter speed, what's there to talk about EV COMPENSATION???

What you are talking about, or seem to be talking about is the meter for the scene....

Sorry, I don't get what is going on.

M mode just gives you the metering.

If there is nothing to compensate in manual mode since you decide the ISO, aperture, shutter speed, what's there to talk about EV COMPENSATION???

What you are talking about, or seem to be talking about is the meter for the scene....

Yes. My point exactly. In M mode, EV compensation does not change your meter readings. The EV indicator changes with the meter readings. Not the other way around. And the indicator is not the same as EV compensation in the first place.

Are you sure? I can't even activate EV on my camera in manual mode. In M mode, the EV indicator changes with different meter readings, and I can adjust the settings to match. But EV compensation?

I think its a matter of camera make, some manufactures built this in but some doesn't. D700 Manual page 128 did mention about this. The EOS Rebel T2i manual demonstrates EV compensation in P mode on page 87. Not sure on your Olympus though.

I think its a matter of camera make, some manufactures built this in but some doesn't. D700 Manual page 128 did mention about this. The EOS Rebel T2i manual demonstrates EV compensation in P mode on page 87. Not sure on your Olympus though.

I don't know about P mode, but M mode?

Do they demonstrate EV compensation in M mode? Not P mode.

I'm personally quite intrigued. I've never heard of EV compensation being actively used as a tool in manual mode. So far, I've only used cameras that, when in manual, the EV compensation is turned off, and the indicator bar used originally to control EV compensation is now a reflection of the light meter readings.

D700.jpg

I have highlighted the paragraph which mentions this on the D700 manual.

...Furthermore you said that EV also works in P mode, which is wrong, since EV doesn't work in M....

I brought up the P mode for the Rebel since you mentioned that EV comp does not work for P mode. It works for the D700 too.

550D.jpg

Last edited:
I have highlighted the paragraph which mentions this on the D700 manual.

Let me clarify my stance on this, maybe you can comment afterwards:

In A, S and P modes, activating EV compensation is possible. You can scroll between +X and -X (depending on camera make). This is reflected on the EV indicator. Changing your exposure compensation causes your camera to deliberately deviate from its suggested settings.

This I agree. However,

In M mode, EV compensation CANNOT be activated.

The EV indicator, however, is still active and reflects the meter readings, showing whether the settings will give over or underexposure.

For example, if the settings used give a 1 stop overexposure, it will show EV +1.

You CANNOT change EV compensation. The indicator is merely passive and responds to changes in your SHUTTER SPEED, APERTURE AND ISO. It doesn't matter what brand the camera is. I highly doubt it.

I brought up the P mode for the Rebel since you mentioned that EV comp does not work for P mode.

I did not say EV comp does not work in P mode. But to say that EV comp works in M mode and ALSO P mode is wrong. Because it does not work in M mode.

I started photography with M mode. To me the fastest way to learn is to go outings with cs or with your friends. Keep taking photos and don't bother about your shutter count.

Let me clarify my stance on this, maybe you can comment afterwards:

In A, S and P modes, activating EV compensation is possible. You can scroll between +X and -X (depending on camera make). This is reflected on the EV indicator. Changing your exposure compensation causes your camera to deliberately deviate from its suggested settings.

This I agree. However,

In M mode, EV compensation CANNOT be activated.

The EV indicator, however, is still active and reflects the meter readings, showing whether the settings will give over or underexposure.

For example, if the settings used give a 1 stop overexposure, it will show EV +1.

You CANNOT change EV compensation. The indicator is merely passive and responds to changes in your SHUTTER SPEED, APERTURE AND ISO. It doesn't matter what brand the camera is. I highly doubt it.

I did not say EV comp does not work in P mode. But to say that EV comp works in M mode and ALSO P mode is wrong. Because it does not work in M mode.

I think is better if you can explain or elaborate based on the text and examples in the manual.
candycaine said:
...Furthermore you said that EV also works in P mode, which is wrong, since EV doesn't work in M....
What i interpreted from your statement was that EV does not work in P mode since it doesn't work in M mode. That what the sentence literally means.
I would phrase it as "Furthermore you said that EV also works in P mode AND M mode, this is wrong" if that was what you meant.

I agree that you say the effects of EV does not show in M mode, thats true. What I was talking about along with bro Rashkae was the EV setting can be adjusted in M mode to effect the meter (as a form of offset) but the meter readings will not affect the ISO, Aperture nor Shutter speed.

Last edited:
I agree that you say the effects of EV does not show in M mode, thats true. What I was talking about along with bro Rashkae was the EV setting can be adjusted in M mode to effect the meter (as a form of offset) but the meter readings will not affect the ISO, Aperture nor Shutter speed.

Okay the confusion lies here. Simply put, Nikon cameras seem to have that feature, but I do not think the 550D, which the TS has, sports that feature. candycaine uses Olympus, which presumably does not possess that feature either.

Okay the confusion lies here. Simply put, Nikon cameras seem to have that feature, but I do not think the 550D, which the TS has, sports that feature. candycaine uses Olympus, which presumably does not possess that feature either.

Yes this was exactly what I thought too with regards to my previous post