Manual lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
Saw some manual lens that is selling quite cheaply. When I used a Nikon to shoot some picture, I realise it is forever searching when in dim light. That why I always use the Manual mode. Just wondering will the manual focusing get harder when the lens get longer (for example 400mm). Because I am now using a kit len only

the question is can you keep up with what your shooting at 400mm?

things like sports or bird shooting requires seriously quick AF to get "the shot", whether you can beat the camera and get it tack sharp and at the same time figure out the correct shutter speed, aperture, etc, etc at the same time is up to your own skill haha

Saw some manual lens that is selling quite cheaply. When I used a Nikon to shoot some picture, I realise it is forever searching when in dim light. That why I always use the Manual mode. Just wondering will the manual focusing get harder when the lens get longer (for example 400mm). Because I am now using a kit len only

400mm ??!!!! Woah!! :bigeyes:

By 'Manual' you mean MF (manual focus) rite? Not old legacy lenses (like those Ai lens, or Ai-S on D90 and below bodies) that is manual exposure rite?

The kit lens is searching due to the small aperture which is afforded by the lens. Thus the hunting during AF. Try it with a 50mm f1.8 or faster lens and see if there is a significant difference. ;)

Now, with a longer lens, you'd have smaller angle of view and you may lose the subject if it's moving. You'd need some practise to do so and keep it in focus even if you have auto-focus.

I don't understand the term 'Manual Lens'... you mean manual focus lens?

Manual focus lens won't do any 'seaching' because it was your eye who is the one that search for focus...

Manual mode in the camera? What is the relation between the manual focus lens and the manual mode in the camera?

You better rephrase your question so those who are expert can help answering your question...

my two cents...

Assuming I understand your question correctly,

Yes it is harder to MF at 400mm as the focusing needs to be spot on for the subject to be in full focus (Unlike UWAs such as my Voigtlander 15mm which requires you to scale-focus. ie. Use the markings on the MF ring to guess the focus)

Status
Not open for further replies.