Manual Lens with a Nikon D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas san

Oct 11, 2006
I have recently bought a Tamron 400mm manual lens for use with a Nikon D70. Having now just used it, on manual setting, the photos have appeared as very dark even though the weather was not that overcast.

The shutter speed setting for the camera seems to be fixed at 800

Is it possible to alter the aperature setting manually to take into account the light conditions?

Look forward to your psotings of advice

Thanks

I use 3 MF Nikon lenses on my D70. You need to see if the camera is doing light metering on your lens (I'm not sure how it works)...
my lenses (vivitar series 1 70-210mm, nikkor 50mm, 35mm) will not meter on a d70, and I set it on manual mode ("m" on the dial) and basically set the shutter speed and aperture to what i think should work, and then work from there :)
There is probably a better way to do this (light meter?) but it seems to work fine.
Just make sure everything is set to manual focus and that your iso is not set to auto, try opening up the aperture and lowering the shutter speed until you get enough light.

- David

Also, use the 2 command dials to set the aperture and shutter speed (right hand side of the camera)...
Do you understand how aperture and shutter speed work ?

Thanks for the reply

i was just thinking how do i manually change the shutter and aperature settings as i was reading your reply.

are you able to kindly explain as the manual is not so clear on this?

cheers

steve

In the first place,

what are the settings on the camera?? Check the rear dial and rotate it, does the shutter speed setting change?? Turning it to the left should slow the shutter speed down.

Try a setting of about 1/400 since it is a 400mm lens

Then play around with the front dial (right in front of the shutter button) and turn it to the left for a larger aperture to allow for more light to enter the lens.

Play around with these 2 settings and also the ISO speed for a clearer and brighter picture.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice guys

Managed to have a play arond with the camera and lens last night. Shutter speed dial definitely makes a difference, however, nothing seems to happen when the aperture dial is altered:dunno:

Cheers

Steve

Are you using a 400mm Tamron Mirror lens? If you are, the aperturn of such lenses are usually fixed. You cannot vary them, so play around with the shutter speed.

Have Fun.

Not sure if it is a mirror lens as i bought it second hand, so no promotional leaflet came with it.

It does have an aperture ring at the base of the lens though

Not sure if it is a mirror lens as i bought it second hand, so no promotional leaflet came with it.

It does have an aperture ring at the base of the lens though

If it's a full manual lens, then you can't control the aperture with the dial on the camera. You have to set it on the lens itself.

Try turning it and see the difference.

Thanks for the reply

i was just thinking how do i manually change the shutter and aperature settings as i was reading your reply.

are you able to kindly explain as the manual is not so clear on this?

cheers

steve
The mode dial needs to be at M. Set the shutter speed with the control dial. The aperture should be set with the aperture ring of the lens. There will not be metering from the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.