Manual lens focusing with KX

sgciti55

Feb 1, 2008
Contemplating getting a K-x to use with some manual lenses I have. Can any one share whether it is difficult to do manual focus on the K-x? In film camera, there is a ring in viewfinder with prisms which becomes less visible when in focus. Any such help in the K-x?

(Edit : correct model name to K-x)

Last edited:
I am assuming you are referring to the recent digital Kx? (Pentax used to have a film version Kx too)

If so then yes there is help for manual focusing. There is a hexagon indictator that lights up in the viewfinder (give a beep sound too if this option is turned on) when the subject is in focus.

There is another very useful feature in Kx known as catch in focus, if you enable it. The cam will automatically take the photo when the subject is in focus. How you do it is you aim at your subject first, depress the shutter fully and then turn the focus ring. Once the on cam manual focus indicator lights up indicating focus, the shot will be taken immediately.

Alternatively if you have more budget, you can buy a split prism screen or better still together with a magnifier and install it in the viewfinder. This will help in manual focusing too as you will be able to better see how the subject getting focused on the viewfinder as you turn the focusing ring.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, go for the K-7. Larger viewfinder really helps with it comes to MF'ing :D

Yeah, with my 80-200 f2.8 on my Nikon D60, i really have to peel my eyes for the perfect focus, so I'm guessing that the split-prism and/or the larger viewfinder would greatly assist in MF'ing.

Other than that, MF is truely a very valuable skill! I believe that with enough practice, I, and maybe you too, can do without AF altogether! XD

Regards,
gibss

Kx :nono:

35342d1243111321-pentax-kx-kx_090221_59h_wex-jpg

K-x :lovegrin:

4112448854_ced13b7b04.jpg

Oops, sorry, I meant the K-x. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks too for the information re: manual focusing aids.

hey OT abit i have 50mm f1.4 manual lens, one of its metal part where its has the pentax smc word on it is a little loose where can i fix it??
t.i.a

hey OT abit i have 50mm f1.4 manual lens, one of its metal part where its has the pentax smc word on it is a little loose where can i fix it??
t.i.a

hi guys, just wanna check, there is absolutely no problem with using a K, M and A lenses on the newer DSLR rite? we can just mount and start to shoot rite?

TIA!

I am assuming you are referring to the recent digital Kx? (Pentax used to have a film version Kx too)

There is another very useful feature in Kx known as catch in focus, if you enable it. The cam will automatically take the photo when the subject is in focus. How you do it is you aim at your subject first, depress the shutter fully and then turn the focus ring. Once the on cam manual focus indicator lights up indicating focus, the shot will be taken immediately.

Bro, I tried this but cannot lei.:sweat:

hi guys, just wanna check, there is absolutely no problem with using a K, M and A lenses on the newer DSLR rite? we can just mount and start to shoot rite?

TIA!

Not sure about K-x, but I need to enable aperture ring in the setting for manual lens except lens with A contact and actually set to use auto aperture.

Other than that, all K mount lens should work just fine.

Not sure about K-x, but I need to enable aperture ring in the setting for manual lens except lens with A contact and actually set to use auto aperture.

K-x is also the same.

It works for me. Also need turn the body AF/MF switch to AF position.

Hmm. I did position it to AF and even try on MF. Hmmm. Ok will try again and see how.

thanks for the advice. will try it after i collect my lens! haha.

Last edited:
Hi guys, Bit the bullet and bought my K-x during the time clubsnap was down. Good service from SLR Revolution as reported in this forum. Good people. I am quite pleased using the stock screen for focusing with manual lenses. Hoping to find time now to make more pictures.

:thumbsup: hope to see you soon in one of the outings

The catch in focus is only for pentax lenses ? 3rd party lenses can do it? i tried it with my sigma lens and when i fully press the shutter it just AF and takes a shot ... setting it to MF will only take a shot when i fully press the shutter even when OOF...:sweat::(