manual extension tubes and external flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobus

Feb 5, 2007
Singapore, Pasir Ris
hello all again.. i have another question..

i recently got myself a set of extension tubes from the tagotech store, i was fully aware that i would have to use manual, but what i didnt know was that the flash settings are not usable as well. but flash is an important part of macro/close-ups right ?

can anyone share with me how do i use my sb-600 with manual tubes? or is it totally not possible ?

my set-up is :
nikon d50
50 mm f1.8 prime lens
extension tubes set to do 1:1
SB-600 speedlight

I am not a Nikon user but if you operate in Manual Mode with your D50 and can select both aperture & shutter speed, your camera body has essential informations so your SB-600 flash should work in auto TTL mode.

(In case, your SB-600 can work in Manual Mode : the flash output level can be set from full output to 1/64 to suit your need. You have to refer to pages 34-37 of your instruction manual.)

ah thanks .. i don't have the manual but i got it online, thanks for the info !

I wanted to buy the same manual extension tube from tagotech also. Can tell me is the extension worth buying?

to me its rather hard to use.. but ppl are saying that the auto focus kind arent necessarily better.. but my logic was to spend 20 bucks first to test it out.. and if i decide macro is for me.. i can safely invest in something more pricey.. so far using it has been ok.. and i can get quite good shots for my level of experience (NOOB).. so here's a picture of a bee that i got using it.

3692766906_8cdae4d49d.jpg

I would say go for it ! just be prepared for disappointments coz when u start out in this side of photography, u would not get great shots instantly, need to practice practice until you get consistency..

Last edited:
I wanted to buy the same manual extension tube from tagotech also. Can tell me is the extension worth buying?

Extension tube are not "friendly user". Don't make it harder by practising with too much basic accessories.

Have in mind that your extension tube(s) will work on your future macro dedicated lens if you are to be bitten par the macro virus and decide to upgrade. So make a fulltime invest from the beginning and have a look at a up-to-date Kenko extension tube set with appropriate connections between lens and camera body : which connections will allow you to work in full auto and with AF as far as you are below f:5,6/f:8.

to me its rather hard to use.. but ppl are saying that the auto focus kind arent necessarily better.. but my logic was to spend 20 bucks first to test it out.. and if i decide macro is for me.. i can safely invest in something more pricey.. so far using it has been ok.. and i can get quite good shots for my level of experience (NOOB).. so here's a picture of a bee that i got using it.

3692766906_8cdae4d49d.jpg

I would say go for it ! just be prepared for disappointments coz when u start out in this side of photography, u would not get great shots instantly, need to practice practice until you get consistency..

Thank you for for showing me your picture. It is nice and sharp. I have decided to go for it.

Extension tube are not "friendly user". Don't make it harder by practising with too much basic accessories.

Have in mind that your extension tube(s) will work on your future macro dedicated lens if you are to be bitten par the macro virus and decide to upgrade. So make a fulltime invest from the beginning and have a look at a up-to-date Kenko extension tube set with appropriate connections between lens and camera body : which connections will allow you to work in full auto and with AF as far as you are below f:5,6/f:8.

Thank you for your valuable advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.