Manual Controls question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sail2horizon

Sep 16, 2005
Northern
Hi Guys, I have a noob question to ask. Do you all normally shoot in M, A, S priorty mode or just turn the dial to the preset mode like the Sports mode etc. Or is it, when you have limited control using the preset then only you'll use the M, A, S mode?:think:

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. (Actually this question has been asked to death, but nevermind.)

M = fully manual, and you have an idea of what aperture and shutter speed combination to use. Depends on experience.
A/Av = you control the aperture, meaning you are concerned more on achieving a certain depth-of-field effect and letting the computer do the rest.
S/Tv = you control the shutter speed, useful when you need at least a certain shutter speed to achieve what you want, e.g. freezing motion, achieve panning shots, do long exposure shots, etc.
P = as some say, "Professional" mode...haha...:sweat:

All other modes automatic modes (sports, macro, portrait, etc.) follow some pre-defined rule (e.g. sports = highest shutter speed possible without introducing handshake; see your camera manual for details) so there's very little control except when to press the shutter release.

Ah Pao said:
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. (Actually this question has been asked to death, but nevermind.)

M = fully manual, and you have an idea of what aperture and shutter speed combination to use. Depends on experience.
A/Av = you control the aperture, meaning you are concerned more on achieving a certain depth-of-field effect and letting the computer do the rest.
S/Tv = you control the shutter speed, useful when you need at least a certain shutter speed to achieve what you want, e.g. freezing motion, achieve panning shots, do long exposure shots, etc.
P = as some say, "Professional" mode...haha...:sweat:

All other modes automatic modes (sports, macro, portrait, etc.) follow some pre-defined rule (e.g. sports = highest shutter speed possible without introducing handshake; see your camera manual for details) so there's very little control except when to press the shutter release.

Thanks Ah Pao for the kind reply, I get what you mean. So its more about what you want to achieve from the shots using the M, A, S rather than just the simple auto mode which are limited to its setting. Thank you.;)

Using the Manual, Aperture &/or Shutter mode gives you more control of the situation at hand.

For a start, play with all the modes your camera offers you... and when you are 'stuck', come back here.

Actually...

P = PLO-fessional mode
A = A-utomatic mode
S = SWEE mode
M = MO TAK TENG mode...

*above acronym translation courtesy of bro funksoulava :thumbsup:

M, S, A is still my preferred modes. Can control the desired results better. I like wat espn quoted M = MO TAK TENG mode... :bsmilie:

sail2horizon said:
Hi Guys, I have a noob question to ask. Do you all normally shoot in M, A, S priorty mode or just turn the dial to the preset mode like the Sports mode etc. Or is it, when you have limited control using the preset then only you'll use the M, A, S mode?:think:

hi, me oso newbie and i find shooting in A or S the easiest to control at the moment... i only need to worry abt 1 factor and leave the cam to auto the rest... :)

I jus need to know what i wanna control, i.e DOF = A, motion blur = S, long exposure = S, etc... Easier... ;) Once in a while i do use the M for full control (i.e. fireworks)...

I try not to use (and have not used so far) the preset mode... afterall, why use preset mode when we buy a cam that allows us to do manual control? If we wanna rely on the preset mode, maybe we shld buy a P&S instead?? :think:

i almost use A mode only. i've never encountered a situation where M is needed(yet) and usually as long as my shutter is fast enough to prevent blur, i dont care how fast it is.

when i need fast shutter speed, i'll choose my lens's biggest apature so that the cam will be at the fastest possible shutter speed. however if u choose to set it in S mode, ur lens may not be able to give the apature required. usually there's not much difference between 1/400th and 1/2000th but different apatures like f2.8 and f5.6 produce very different results.

also by using A mode, i can be sure that im shooting at my lens's sweet spot(sharpest apature)

i set it to auto when not using so as to be ready should i need to quickly snap a few shots

I only use Av and M modes only. Av is usually during daylight shots. M for night shots and indoor shots or events where i can use the flash to compensate for the underexposure. Sometimes i also use flash in Av mode to fill flash in broad daylight (FP flash)

roti_prata said:
i set it to auto when not using so as to be ready should i need to quickly snap a few shots
hmm... sounds like a good trick here... :thumbsup:

roti_prata said:
i almost use A mode only. i've never encountered a situation where M is needed(yet) and usually as long as my shutter is fast enough to prevent blur, i dont care how fast it is.

when i need fast shutter speed, i'll choose my lens's biggest apature so that the cam will be at the fastest possible shutter speed. however if u choose to set it in S mode, ur lens may not be able to give the apature required. usually there's not much difference between 1/400th and 1/2000th but different apatures like f2.8 and f5.6 produce very different results.

also by using A mode, i can be sure that im shooting at my lens's sweet spot(sharpest apature)

Of course, I'm sure we should highlight to the thread starter that there are times too when the 'Shutter' takes extreme priority; e.g. you want to simulate the smooth silky flow of water, etc.

Different situations command different settings/priorities. And it all depends what one wants to emphasize in his photograph. Sometimes, it's also good to break the rules.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it true that for as long you can achieve the effect you want by using the Av or S mode, one need not to use the M mode that often? Care to share some opinions?

sail2horizon said:
Forgive my ignorance, but is it true that for as long you can achieve the effect you want by using the Av or S mode, one need not to use the M mode that often? Care to share some opinions?

Let's say you take a photo using certain exposure parameters, e.g. 1/250s and f/8. Would the result depend on whether you set the time and aperture manually, set only one of them manually (and the camera set the other one), or both were set by the camera? Of course not. As long as you can achieve the exposure you want, it doesn't technically matter how you do it. But some ways of achieving a specific result are more convenient than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.