Manfrotto tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Hello everyone,

Need urgent help.

I am planning to buy one of the 55 series Manfrotto tripods (preferably the 055 pro).

I don't have much time to research (I mean hunt around for the best bargain) as I am going overseas on Wednesday evening and need to take the tripod with me. I have a Slik tripod but not particularly happy with it - that's the reason for this sudden rush to buy a Manfrotto.

A few questions :
1. Which of the Manfrotto tripods would work best with a Canon 30D + 70-200mm L Lens ?
2. Which of the shops (CP, MS Color, Alan Photo) has a good collection of Manfrotto tripods ?
3. If someone has the 055 pro tripod, can you please tell me the approx price of this model ?

Thanks everyone in advance, once again.

Cheers.

You can try TK or CP they have a lot. FYI the 055 is a pretty heavy tripod for travelling.
(Abt. 3kg or more with head)
If budget is not a problem get the 055 CF or the 190 CF version its much lighter.

There is a change in the Singapore's agent for Manfrotto. Cathay Pacific is now the official agent in Singapore but last I spoke to them, orders have been place for new shipment but as to when stocks will arrive is still a big mystery - they send end June but higher probability in July instead.

You would have to call them to find out.

asterixsg said:
Hello everyone,

Need urgent help.

I am planning to buy one of the 55 series Manfrotto tripods (preferably the 055 pro).

I don't have much time to research (I mean hunt around for the best bargain) as I am going overseas on Wednesday evening and need to take the tripod with me. I have a Slik tripod but not particularly happy with it - that's the reason for this sudden rush to buy a Manfrotto.

A few questions :
1. Which of the Manfrotto tripods would work best with a Canon 30D + 70-200mm L Lens ?
2. Which of the shops (CP, MS Color, Alan Photo) has a good collection of Manfrotto tripods ?
3. If someone has the 055 pro tripod, can you please tell me the approx price of this model ?

Cheers.

Hi there,

I will think that the Manfrotto 055 series to be too heavy to carry around, I understand your rush but getting a good, light and usable tripod is important as it will be better for you to invest more on lens then tripod. No point rushing to get a tripod and find it a burden to carry around and spoilt the mood. Anyway, the choice is yours.

As to the answers to your questions, please see the following:

1. Canon 30D Body ~ Approx 700g + 70-200mm L ~ 1470g => Total = 2170g.
The maximum load for 055 series is around 7kg, 190 series is around 5kg.
I will recommend the 190 series then, but I think it is still too heavy to carry around too. If can go for the Digi series.

2. Can try CP @ Peninsular or TK Foto @ Beach Road Shaw Tower

3. Not very sure of the pricing for 055 but using my 190PROB as a rough guide, I got my for SGD$150 so I believe may be in the range of SGD$170 to SGD$200.

BTW, there has been a change in the Manfrotto agent for Singapore, last heard Cathay Photo is going to the the sole distributor, not sure of the status now. :dunno:

And also, try to look for a suitable tripod head for your application. All the best. Hope that it helps. Cheerz.

oracle0711 said:
There is a change in the Singapore's agent for Manfrotto. Cathay Pacific is now the official agent in Singapore ..........................
Air line company sell tripobs also? :bigeyes:
than SIA selling what? :bsmilie:

catchlights said:

:bsmilie: u make me tickles :bsmilie:

Hi,

I've the Manfrotto 055 PROB and yes its a heavy tripod. The total weight including a ball head is close to 4Kg. It's a study and easy to use tripod plus the legs spreads out if you need to get those low angle shots and is handy for some of my macro shots. It has a wide range of working height. I especially like it being able to reach eye level without extending the centre column (height includes ball head and DSLR camera) as it can be uncomfortable having to bend down to look through the viewfinder.

Although I like this tripod al ot, I don't usually bring it for travelling or photo shoots that requires a lot of walking as it can really shaq you out carrying it around. Besides, sometimes I feel that it can draw too much attention. Imagine it can be almost half my height (1.7m)when fully retracted.

Have you consider a monopod before? I think it can be ideal for travelling if you don't do much night shots.

Regards,
Cirewol

asterixsg said:
Hello everyone,

Need urgent help.

A few questions :

Cheers.

I agree 055 is very heavy. Not suitable for travel. You can try strong and lightweight CF tripod like Feisol from John 3:16. I am not sure if they have stock. Please ring them before going down. :thumbsup:

no need buy tripod. buy a pair of 2-way ticket from cathay pacific and get a 3pod free!!! :)

asterixsg said:
Hello everyone,

Need urgent help.

A few questions :

Cheers.

Like someone else has suggested, a better idea might be to buy a monopod instead. Manfrotto makes a cheaply priced ($60) high quality aluminium monopod . Just pack it in your check in luggage - you don't want it confiscated at the departure gate security checkpoint.

There is even a slightly heavier version of the monopod that has three fold out legs that allows it to be self standing. Not recommended to be used in high wind situations but. :)

And the suggestion to get the 190 instead of the 055 is a good one too. The 055 isn't exactly the best tripod to travel with if you want to enjoy yourself. Even the 190 is a bit on the heavy side for travel. But the lighter and smaller alternatives are much more expensive and made by Gitzo (>$300).

I have the 055Pro with 484RC2 and total only weighs 2.72kg. The tripod alone weighs 2.4kg so after a long day carrying it, it may cause some discomfort.

I got mine for $170.

Wah Kao, like that also kenna spotted.

Haha ;)

I meant Cathay Photo.... either I typed too fast or my mind was still floating in the air after my recent overseas trip ....

Thanks for pointing out...

catchlights said:

I went hunting for Manfrotto tripods last week. Alex photo (2nd floor penisula plaza) and TK only have some balance (new) tripods. 190 is a bit short for me but it is light enough. TK still have one 190CLB, no more proB. But i saw 1 190MF4 there. I really love it for its weight and features but they quote me 390 :cry:.

AP, CP, MS no stock for 190, 055 aluminium series. The rest, don't know.

As what others say, 055 is too heavy for me too unless u get the MF version.

U may need to spend some more time for the tripod head as they don't come with the head. CP promo FOBA swiss ball head may be good for ur set up. Promo priced at 235.

Hope, this helps.. Cheers..
:cheergal: :cheergal:

ps. finally i bought benro for budget constrains.:sweatsm: :sweatsm:

mtunlinn said:
I went hunting for Manfrotto tripods last week. Alex photo (2nd floor penisula plaza) and TK only have some balance (new) tripods. 190 is a bit short for me but it is light enough. TK still have one 190CLB, no more proB. But i saw 1 190MF4 there. I really love it for its weight and features but they quote me 390 :cry:.

AP, CP, MS no stock for 190, 055 aluminium series. The rest, don't know.

As what others say, 055 is too heavy for me too unless u get the MF version.

U may need to spend some more time for the tripod head as they don't come with the head. CP promo FOBA swiss ball head may be good for ur set up. Promo priced at 235.

Hope, this helps.. Cheers..
:cheergal: :cheergal:

ps. finally i bought benro for budget constrains.:sweatsm: :sweatsm:

In fact the 055 series is not that heavy.

Ya. It depends on invidual. Together with the head, the 055 combo will weigh approximately 3kg. Imagine somebody carrying it all the time while travelling. It may be ok for a few hours journey.

i'm using the 055CLB.. simply love it... no regret.. hee..

It is really quite heavy, so i don't walk around carrying it usually... maybe that's why no prob to me as yet.

Thanks a lot everyone for all your helpful replies, as usual.

Too bad, CP doesn't have Manfrotto tripods. I was told stock might arrive in July. Since I was in a hurry to get one, I bought the Slik Pro 400 DX for S$155.

I don't think the airlines will allow me to carry the tripod as part of my cabin baggage. I might remove the head and take it with me in my cabin bag and check-in the body along with my backpack.

Cheers...

asterixsg said:
Thanks a lot everyone for all your helpful replies, as usual.

Too bad, CP doesn't have Manfrotto tripods. I was told stock might arrive in July. Since I was in a hurry to get one, I bought the Slik Pro 400 DX for S$155.

I don't think the airlines will allow me to carry the tripod as part of my cabin baggage. I might remove the head and take it with me in my cabin bag and check-in the body along with my backpack.

Cheers...

No, get a bag and place the tripod inside cos if u carry just like that, they'll consider it as a weapon.

Hi all,

Just came back to say that I had no problems carrying the tripod with me as cabin baggage.

Hi Snoweagle,
Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I had already bought a bag along with the tripod as I didn't quite like the belt that was given free with the tripod.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.