Manfrotto Tripod which one to choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I have decided with this 2 tripod but I can't choice between this 2 tripods...

If anyone able to advice me which will be a better choice??
I'm still a newbie.... looking for a tripod to able to shot any kinds of shots..

Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod w/o ball head
http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrotto-190XPROB-Section-Aluminum/dp/B000N7VPRW
190xpro3sectionalutv8.jpg

Manfrotto 190CX3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with ball head
http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrotto-190CX3-3-Section-Carbon-without/dp/B0015MCPKU
190cx329800in4.jpg

Thanks for your advice.....
:angel:

They have near identical specs (5kg load, 146cm full extend..), except that the CX3 is lighter and costlier. So it depends on your budget and needs.

They have near identical specs (5kg load, 146cm full extend..), except that the CX3 is lighter and costlier. So it depends on your budget and needs.

Thanks...
Yes, I'm aware of that.
But my budget allowed me to purchase either one.

After tested both weight is quite OK for me to carry along with.
But still able to tell the CX3 is weight is a bit lighter and still with
the Ball head after comparing 190XPROB without the Ball head.
So in term of weight CX3 is better even included the ball head.

Now I cant decide which one. cos the 190XPROB able to make a side mounting.
As for CX3 only vertical mounting. ( I'm not too sure is that you name it)

I would like to know is this 190XPROB a useful tripod in term of taking macro shot, low position shot. Or May be CX3 able to perform the same as well. :dunno: or may be is not that stable......

8752810ae7a07b2c6a4b811or3.jpg

bb75810ae7a07b2c6a4b811wv0.jpg

Thanks...

I think 190XPROB will be better as it can do side mount which is definitely good for marco shots.

what i feel is, the ability to have the centre column mounted horizontally is a plus, but ask around those guys that has this kind of tripod, how often do they use it?

the decision is up to you.

what i feel is, the ability to have the centre column mounted horizontally is a plus, but ask around those guys that has this kind of tripod, how often do they use it?

That is also my question.....:dunno:

I am using 190XProB now... this helicopter feature is definitely a plus point. To me, it is definitely come in handy for some macro shot whith i use it quite offen and i just love this feature. If I going to change to another brand or upgrade, this is a feature which is a must have for me. just my own opinion.

I am using 190XProB now... this helicopter feature is definitely a plus point. To me, it is definitely come in handy for some macro shot whith i use it quite offen and i just love this feature. If I going to change to another brand or upgrade, this is a feature which is a must have for me. just my own opinion.

Oh... Great to hear that...!!!! :sweatsm:
But May I know what ball head you are using?
and how is the total weight?
Is it still ok to carry around with the weight?

Thanks....:angel:

The 190xprob really isn't too bad in terms of weight, don't worry =) The extra weight vs the carbon fiber models helps in unsteady grounds or windy conditions too.

I'm on the 486rc2, weight is 1.8 + 0.46 = 2.26 kg. Head takes 6 kg load max. The other popular head is probably 488. I've carried it for near 18 hours before, can be done. Just sling it and it won't really bother you. Else just hold like a weapon and whack pesky thieves. Trains your muscles for heavier camera body and lens in the future.

Another thing which u need to consider is the full height of the tripod w/o the centre column extended will reached your eye level with BH and cam mounted. With the centre column extended will reduce the stabilty and you do not want to have a backache bending your back to look at the viewfinder for long session either. The 190 series might be a bit too short for people standing at 1.8m tall.:nono:

I'm using the 055XProB and i must say the horizontal mounting is a really great feature as sometimes i really need to use it in order to get a better angle, especially wheni shoot at extremely low angles.

The 190xprob really isn't too bad in terms of weight, don't worry =) The extra weight vs the carbon fiber models helps in unsteady grounds or windy conditions too.

I'm on the 486rc2, weight is 1.8 + 0.46 = 2.26 kg. Head takes 6 kg load max. The other popular head is probably 488. I've carried it for near 18 hours before, can be done. Just sling it and it won't really bother you. Else just hold like a weapon and whack pesky thieves. Trains your muscles for heavier camera body and lens in the future.

Icebox, Thanks for your valuable advice and end user feed back.
Ya, I also think abt the weight may be a plus point to make the tripod abit more stable.
The spec of this tripod is able to support up to 5kg.. so 5kg is it good enough to have a average set up.???? (example : Zoom lens, BG, Flash & etc)

I'm using the 055XProB and i must say the horizontal mounting is a really great feature as sometimes i really need to use it in order to get a better angle, especially wheni shoot at extremely low angles.

Snoweagle, Thank for your feed back and advice.

Thanks guys... you all really helped and guided me a lot....
:lovegrin:

Another thing which u need to consider is the full height of the tripod w/o the centre column extended will reached your eye level with BH and cam mounted. With the centre column extended will reduce the stabilty and you do not want to have a backache bending your back to look at the viewfinder for long session either. The 190 series might be a bit too short for people standing at 1.8m tall.:nono:

Oh....The tripod fully extended is abt 146cm w/o ball head included will be abt 10cm..so that'll make it abt 156cm......I'm 172cm tall only... (Quite a short guy) :sweatsm:
Is it OK for me???

Thanks for pin point this out....:eek:
I think I should go and check out those...if not my back will kill me...:sweatsm:

Last night, revisited to compare both tripod again....

Selling Price : $230 b4 10% discount
Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod w/o ball head

Selling Price : $370 b4 10% discount
Manfrotto 190CX3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with 484 ball head

Both tripod the price diff is abt $140.

Would recommend you to get the carbon fiber one as its lighter. Pricewise, I find it actually almost the same, if you're to purchase the CPROB... you would have to add the cost of a head too. :)

Factoring the weight of your other toys, its always an added bonus to carry a lighter tripod. Although being light has its disadvantages of not being as stable in windy conditions. We have the option to hook our bag onto the center column for extra stability.

In a nutshell, a lighter tripod gives you options. Whereas if your tripod is heavy, you would have to live with it. :)

i am using 190xprob with 484rc2...base on spec is less than 1.9kg ..not that heavy even am at 1.66m :(.... with history of shoulder problem...:(:( but am lazy to bring out also..

base on your price quoted...the diff between the 190xprob w/484rec2 & 190cx3 w/484..with rc2?? is less than $60..i will go for cx3 instead due to the weight advantage of CF...

as for the Horizontal setting from 190xprob...yes is good when u shoot at low angle..can u remove center column of cx3 for low angle?

Would recommend you to get the carbon fiber one as its lighter. Pricewise, I find it actually almost the same, if you're to purchase the CPROB... you would have to add the cost of a head too. :)

Factoring the weight of your other toys, its always an added bonus to carry a lighter tripod. Although being light has its disadvantages of not being as stable in windy conditions. We have the option to hook our bag onto the center column for extra stability.

In a nutshell, a lighter tripod gives you options. Whereas if your tripod is heavy, you would have to live with it. :)

You got your points also...;)
Carry a tripod and walk around many hrs.. or travel to a place take few hrs or less..
but taking a shot with a tripod may be less than a hrs...

So carry a tripod is more than taking a shot of a pix....:sweatsm:

i am using 190xprob with 484rc2...base on spec is less than 1.9kg ..not that heavy even am at 1.66m :(.... with history of shoulder problem...:(:( but am lazy to bring out also..

base on your price quoted...the diff between the 190xprob w/484rec2 & 190cx3 w/484..with rc2?? is less than $60..i will go for cx3 instead due to the weight advantage of CF...

as for the Horizontal setting from 190xprob...yes is good when u shoot at low angle..can u remove center column of cx3 for low angle?

Yes... the 190Xpro doesn't c/w a ball head.
that I need to addition purchase and total price will be more or less $100 depending what kind of BH or QR I purchase and after comparing to 190CX3 price.

As for the 190CX3 c/w a 484 ball head (Just a normal ball head no quick release)
I think the center column able to change or remove it and make is shorter. :think:
The website spec shown the Min height is 6cm for 190CX3.
Manfrotto website

Like that I think need to revisit the shop again...
cos I may not want to waste $$$ for upgrade to another tripod
one shot one kill....:devil:

Yes... the 190Xpro doesn't c/w a ball head.
that I need to addition purchase and total price will be more or less $100 depending what kind of BH or QR I purchase and after comparing to 190CX3 price.

As for the 190CX3 c/w a 484 ball head (Just a normal ball head no quick release)
I think the center column able to change or remove it and make is shorter. :think:
The website spec shown the Min height is 6cm for 190CX3.
Manfrotto website

Like that I think need to revisit the shop again...
cos I may not want to waste $$$ for upgrade to another tripod
one shot one kill....:devil:

Get the 190cx3 but not the 484rc2 as you will be upgrading to another ballhead very soon. Get either 486rc2 or 488rc2. 488rc2 if you are taking macro and landscape. as it has two different locking, one for panning and the other for the tilt and rotate. The 190cx can go to 3cm low as you can remove the centre column and replace it with the attached low angle column. if not you can alway pay more to get the 190cxpro3. which is the same as the 190xprob.

i have the 190xpro3...

may i know where u guyz get the sling strap?

been tryin to order tthe manfrotto 1....

Status
Not open for further replies.