Manfrotto Tripod and Heads

gohjialong

Jul 16, 2010
Hi, just got a Manfrotto 190b today. done some research on which head to get for the tripod as im using 500d but dont really know which head to get. Can anyone help me with this? Searched the forums but cant get such reviews or advice. Just wanna get a head that can withstand the 500d and is suitable for 190b. ball heads preferred.

Hi, just got a Manfrotto 190b today. done some research on which head to get for the tripod as im using 500d but dont really know which head to get. Can anyone help me with this? Searched the forums but cant get such reviews or advice. Just wanna get a head that can withstand the 500d and is suitable for 190b. ball heads preferred.

Did you get a 190xprob or 190b?

A good match to the 190xprob is the 496rc2 ball head. If you bought the 190xprob on promotion at Cathay Photo for $183, you will be able to buy the 496rc2 purchase with purchase at $92. Very good deal.

Last edited:
i didnt get the xprob cos i dont think i needed that. i got the normal one. doesnt seem to be able to find it on Manfrotto's website though.

what's your budget for a tripod head?
Looking for a ballhead?
What kind of clamp...? If ballhead w arca-swiss clamp, then you can get Sirui G10/20, Benro KB-1A, Photo-clam PCxxN, etc etc. There are many many others.

my budget would be $150. $100 preferred cos im just beginner la. will upgrade when i need. the benro one seems fine to me. any manfrotto recommendations? or $150 cant get me anything?

my personal recommendation is to get the Sirui G10 or G20, as they use the Arca-swiss style of clamp.
That means if you eventually decide to buy a higher-end ballhead, you don't need to purchase the quick release plates, which aren't cheap I tell you...

For example, the Photo-Clam PC33N costs around $250, but then you have to buy the QR plates for about $50+, meaning one set costs $300.

if you go for the G20 (larger and stronger), you probably won't need to "upgrade" your ballhead for a long time, unless the BBB virus strikes! :devil:

Last edited:
Im don't think $100 can't get you any decent tripod.

$150 can get you the benro A300ex, decent tripod for the price, which I bought for my first tripod.

If more money, please get something better, like a gitzo. No kidding that was what the 2 random uncles I met yesterday while shooting NDP fireworks said. I fully agree with what they say (and use) except, I really no budget left haha.

what are the price range for the Sirui then? any websites so that i can take a look?

Im don't think $100 can't get you any decent tripod.

$150 can get you the benro A300ex, decent tripod for the price, which I bought for my first tripod.

If more money, please get something better, like a gitzo. No kidding that was what the 2 random uncles I met yesterday while shooting NDP fireworks said. I fully agree with what they say (and use) except, I really no budget left haha.

Please read post #1 hor.... TS is looking for a tripod head, not a tripod.

gohjialong said:

Hey thanks ZerocoolAstra for helping me verify haha.

there's a function in manfrotto website to help you shortlist your tripod head base on your inputs/requirements. it's pretty good.

i tried that. but they don have the 190b on their lists! haha.

what are the price range for the Sirui then? any websites so that i can take a look?

TK Foto Sirui price list.
http://www.facebook.com/tkfoto?ref=ts#!/tkfoto?v=app_6009294086&ref=ts

Sirui website
http://www.zssirui.com/en/index.html

For your info, the G20 will fit better on your tripod. If you get the G10, the head will look very small on the base plate of the center column, and you will make it pointless to get the 190b.

Last edited:
no wonder i cannot get much info on their website, youtube or even google. looks like i have to get people's recommendations instead. the G20 looks nice =D but im still not getting it yet. will research on more before finally getting one i guess. cos it seems like the head is gonna be more expensive than the tripod itself lol.

no wonder i cannot get much info on their website, youtube or even google. looks like i have to get people's recommendations instead. the G20 looks nice =D but im still not getting it yet. will research on more before finally getting one i guess. cos it seems like the head is gonna be more expensive than the tripod itself lol.

Usually, the ball head is around same price or more expensive than the legs. Some people buy $100-200 sirui legs and match to $400 markins head.

Seriously, G20 is as cheap as it gets, for that weight rating and size. Even the Manfrotto 496rc2 or 486rc2 cost more.

If you want to go cheap on heads, might as well throw away your 190b and get a cheap $30 tripod.

i personally recommend:

Markins_1s.jpg

Light
Strong
Lovely finish
Smooth to operate
(not) Cheap

:devil: BBB :devil:

Usually, the ball head is around same price or more expensive than the legs. Some people buy $100-200 sirui legs and match to $400 markins head.

Seriously, G20 is as cheap as it gets, for that weight rating and size. Even the Manfrotto 496rc2 or 486rc2 cost more.

If you want to go cheap on heads, might as well throw away your 190b and get a cheap $30 tripod.

A ball head that costs about 100% to 150% the price of the tripod. Am i right to say that this should be the range to consider?

A ball head that costs about 100% to 150% the price of the tripod. Am i right to say that this should be the range to consider?

depends la.

You can buy $700 legs, but still get a markins that cost $400. And it will soon be enough.

In the end, ball head compare to ball head.
tripod compare to tripod.

But the weakest link in your setup will be the max your setup can be.

So if you buy legs that can carry 30kg, and match it with a 3kg max ballhead, your entire setup can only carry 3kg.

But do watch out, different brands state max weight differently.