Manfrotto ballhead question

Status
Not open for further replies.

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hi guys
i recently got a gift from family of a manfrotto 190XProB tripod, and 496RC2 ballhead. the thing is, i wanted to get the 488RC2, coz i've read quite a bit of reviews on it, and was very keen on getting this combo. so now that i have the 496RC2, im wondering if its as good -

apparently the store guy told my bro that the 496 ballhead is one of the newest manfrotto heads, and he highly recommended it. but is there anything special that the 488 head has that the 496 head doesnt? i noticed the 496 is smaller, and compact though.. im thinking about selling it off (its brand new), and buying the 488RC2.. is that worth it, or should i just stick with it? please just give me ur opinions, thanks :)

Since you already have it, why not give it a try before even selling it immediately? Nevertheless, from the specs, looks like the 496RC2 does not have panning feature like the 488RCs (I use this) though this new series features friction control, something commonly found in professional and expensive ballheads (and popular replicas). On the other hand, 488RC2 is actually quite heavy for a ballhead. I believe most/all Manfrotto ballheads are heavy.

it depends on the gears you are using. I myself own the 488rc2. If you have a smaller tripod. No point get such a big head. Overall is the tripod legs that are going to withstand the weight. Use your current setup first. Then once you get more gears or lense then you change accordingly. I believe that the ball head can last for quite some time before you actually changing it. It is also a gift from others. Dont sell it, as they might think that you dont have the heart. Use the gears to the to its max potential dont abuse it. :)

thanks for the replies :) im using a 500D, and the largest lens i currently plan on using is the EF-S 55-250mm or similar.. tripod legs is 190XProB - the store guy had said that the 488RC2 is bulky, and that the 496RC2 is more suited for the 190XProB..

my family will understand if i sell it n get something i like better :D thanks for pointing it out, though :) im not usually like this, lol.. i guess i'll try it out n see, i think it'll be fine for me, from the replies ive gotten so far.. just posted before i used it, coz then i could sell it off as brand new, and get pretty much the same amount that was spent on it.. anyone else got other opinions, please share :) thanks

thanks for the replies :) im using a 500D, and the largest lens i currently plan on using is the EF-S 55-250mm or similar.. tripod legs is 190XProB - the store guy had said that the 488RC2 is bulky, and that the 496RC2 is more suited for the 190XProB..

my family will understand if i sell it n get something i like better :D thanks for pointing it out, though :) im not usually like this, lol.. i guess i'll try it out n see, i think it'll be fine for me, from the replies ive gotten so far.. just posted before i used it, coz then i could sell it off as brand new, and get pretty much the same amount that was spent on it.. anyone else got other opinions, please share :) thanks

488 has a separate panning control. This is one thing 496 don't have. 488 can hold slightly more weight (8kg) compared to 496's 6kg.

However 496 has a friction control which can come in handy. It is also light by 200 grams, which matter when you hike or carry it for longer distances. This 496 is actually the replacement for the 468 model. And it is much more compact.

Like what others say, 496 is sufficient and very good. Panning control is used only when taking panaroma, but to do it properly you actually need a panaroma bracket to be really accurate.

thanks for the reply :) seems like the only difference is the max load weight (which i dont think will matter significantly, as the 190Xprob is rated at 5kgs max anyway), and the other difference is the panning control - i thought panning control would be significant, but if its only for taking paranomas (not currently very important to me right now), im pretty sure the 496 is fine for me - at least for the moment. i think the weight and size of the head itself matters for me too, and as the 496 is smaller and lighter, should work ideally for me! thanks for all the input..

I hope it helps ,i am using 488RC2 and diff btw 496 and 488 is 488 have an extra azimuth .

tripod legs is 190XProB - the store guy had said that the 488RC2 is bulky, and that the 496RC2 is more suited for the 190XProB..

Try it out for see it for yourself before deciding to sell it off? I am currently using the 190XProB and 488RC2 setup. Not at all too heavy... and plus the panning feature is certainly a plus :)

yeah, i guess its not too heavy - but if the panning feature is the only thing thats not available on the 496, i think i'll keep it n use it for a while, before deciding if i need to upgrade to 488 :)

btw, i tried finding reviews for the 496 but was unable to find a single one, actually - is it because its very new? :dunno:

btw, i tried finding reviews for the 496 but was unable to find a single one, actually - is it because its very new?
There are some tiny bits of info if you goggle but it's a fairly new series.

i believe the new series to replace 488 should be the 498.
difference is the friction control

i'm using the 488rc2, the panning function is a + regardless of whether u use it or not.
to hv it there then not havin it there is better rite?...

yes, definitely better to have - but since i have this now, im definitely gonna use it first, upgrade later on :) thanks for the reply.. and yeah, the 496 replaces the 486, so i guess the 498 replaces the 488 - and the 496 has friction control, so its a new thing :)

Last edited:
Try it out for see it for yourself before deciding to sell it off? I am currently using the 190XProB and 488RC2 setup. Not at all too heavy... and plus the panning feature is certainly a plus :)

You must be one strong young man. :thumbsup:

It's not whether strong or not. My setup's a 055XProB with 488RC0 and it's not too heavy too, and manageable.

"Manageable" really depends on the distances you cover on foot with the tripod. I find it ok in singapore on flat land and driving too. Problem is when I climb Huangshan in China, that few hundred grams really made a difference.

You must be one strong young man. :thumbsup:

:bsmilie: Maybe like what you said, its still manageable while in Singapore with the flat land etc. Will really put my 'strength' when i visit the Great Wall in Feb...:sweat:

haha yeah - today, i took my 190xprob and 496 on a trial shoot to marina bay.. had no case or anything, but it was fine, nice weight to carry.. but i remember climbing this section of the great wall - would want to cut off every bit of weight on that climb :D

Status
Not open for further replies.