Manfrotto 732CY Tripod Mini-Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

jookee

Dec 26, 2006
Just receive my 732CY carbon tripod yesterday. So I have decided to do a mini-review here just to share with you guys. Below is the website on this tripod:
Manfrotto Website

Note that this is a new tripod, not available in SG currently. So here is a preview.

WEIGHT:
IMG_6906.jpg

It weights 954g. Very close to what is stated on paper 950g. Very light weight tripod without ball head. Note that the max payload is rated at 3.5kg. Just like any other Manfrotto tripod, it comes with just the tripod itself without ball head or bag. As usual, the build quality is excellent for a Manfrotto tripod.

496RC2 Ballhead:
IMG_6908.jpg

This is a new ball head from Manfrotto as well. Featuring a new friction control knob, you can now control the amount of friction you need. Weight is 425g with a rated payload of 6kg. However upon mounting it to the 732CY, it gives an unbalance feeling. The weight & size of the ball head is large. See image below:
IMG_6910.jpg

494RC2 Ballhead:
IMG_6909.jpg

Like the 496RC2, the 494RC2 is just a downsized version of it with a lighter weight at 320g. Rated payload is pretty decent at 4kg. It fits the 732CY much better. See image below:

IMG_6914.jpg

Total weight of tripod + ballhead = 1.274kg.

Thus, I will be using only the 494RC2 with my 732CY since my gear weight less than 3kg in total! This will definitely be my travel tripod from now on.

Last edited:
My gear:

IMG_1557.jpg

Weight of 40D + 17-40 F4L + 430 EX ii = 1.8kg.

For tele purpose, assuming I mount my 70-200 F4 IS, the weight of my gear will be approximately 2.1 kg.

So this tripod is more than sufficient for my typical gear that i will be mounting on tripod.

I will be testing on the stability soon... Any recommendation on how to test the stability? As I'm quite new to tripod selection, please feel free to give me some comments & advise.

Last edited:
Nice preview...how much is the tripod?

Try mounting your heaviest set up on the tripod...turn on live view...give the tripod a light tap and observe how long it takes for the camera view to stabilize.

Btw, how did you keep the camera strap floating in the air in the last picture?!?! >.<

I will be testing on the stability soon... Any recommendation on how to test the stability? As I'm quite new to tripod selection, please feel free to give me some comments & advise.

simple, secure a laser pointer to the ball head. place ur tipot at say 2m from wall with the pointer "on". use a pre determine force to tap the head or tipot. record how long the pointer stablelize.

do the same for the other tipot u r comparing.

Nice preview...how much is the tripod?

Try mounting your heaviest set up on the tripod...turn on live view...give the tripod a light tap and observe how long it takes for the camera view to stabilize.

Btw, how did you keep the camera strap floating in the air in the last picture?!?! >.<
It cost USD$200. SGD is about $280 before shipping. Haha, I merely place camera strap in such a way that it doesn't fall off. It has a "natural fold" that keeps it there... nothing special about it.

STABILITY TEST

With IS off on my 70-200 F4 IS @ 200mm, live view set to 10x. A tap on the ball head took 12s to completely stabilise if the tripod is set to max height.
If the center column is not raised, it takes 5s to completely stabilise. To minimise random errors, i took 3x readings per set up. The end result is still a conclusive 12s & 5s respectively.

Setup: 40D + 70-200 F4IS + 430 EX II = 2.1 kg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Without opening up the legs fully, height is 132cm(inclusive of 494RC2 ballhead) when tripod is extended with center column unraised.

After raising the center column fully, height becomes 142cm. See below:
IMG_1571.jpg

IS set to "OFF":
IMG_1574.jpg

Last edited:
oooh I wanted to buy this tripod also!!!Cool thanks for the review may I noe where u order it from?

Focal length set to "200mm":
IMG_1575.jpg

Live View activated:
IMG_1576.jpg

Live View at "5x":
IMG_1577.jpg

Live View at "10x":
IMG_1578.jpg

Thus, is 12s(time taken to completely stabilise after a tap @ ballhead) with center column raised and 5s with center column unraised an acceptable standard? Anyone tried doing such an "experiment" on other tripods such as the 190XPROB before?

oooh I wanted to buy this tripod also!!!Cool thanks for the review may I noe where u order it from?

I ordered it from Amazon US.

With IS off on my 70-200 F4 IS @ 200mm, live view set to 10x. A tap on the ball head took 12s to completely stabilise if the tripod is set to max height.
If the center column is not raised, it takes 5s to completely stabilise. To minimise random errors, i took 3x readings per set up. The end result is still a conclusive 12s & 5s respectively.

the ball head also plays a part in the stability. 496 i assume it is the replacement for the older 486. manfrotto ball head is not a bad one, but i wish they make one that has

1) only 1 slot (portrait orientation). having 2 slot reduce the weight but also reduces the stability.
2) shorter stem. dont understand why the need for such a long stem.

an example of a well designed light weight ball head is markin q3.

Very comprehensive review.. :)

Thank you for the review! :thumbsup:
looks like its a good tripod to bring along for overseas trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.